MGW Shifter for Mach1

phsc84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Mach 1 (2021)
Does anyone have news, when exactly Ford changed from a 10 mm thread to a 12 mm thread?
Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think the MGW shifter install needs to be part 1 of a two-part deal.
The other thing to do is you need to change the trans fluid. Get rid of the lousy ATF they run for trans oil and get something proper. The enhancement is at least as good as the shifter itself. Much smoother, less notchy, especially when cold and just nicer shifting overall.

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I think the MGW shifter install need to be part 1 of a two-part deal.
The other thing to do is you need to change the trans fluid. Get rid of the lousy ATF they run for trans oil and get something proper. The enhancement is at least as good as the shifter itself. Much smoother, less notchy, especially when cold and just nicer shifting overall.
Doing the BG fluid swap on my 17 helped a lot. I think I may do it on this car too.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
I think the MGW shifter install need to be part 1 of a two-part deal.
On one of my 2014s, the one with the not so good transmission, I put in the BG fluid. It did improve shifting ease slightly. This was most noticeable when cold. I'd recommend that.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Reviving the thread with questions to those who run MGW shifter in their Mach 1s.

The MGW shifter knob is supposed to be lower then the original knob on the original stick.
I asked MGW about the potential height differences between the OEM shifter, MGW shifter with the OEM knob (and an adapter) and MGW shifter with the MGW knob, but did not get anything exact, except that if I was looking for a tall shifter I should opt for Cylindrical Gripper Knob (https://mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/knobs/gripper/cylindrical).

Which knob or combination of knob and adapter did you use with your MGW shifter and what was the perceived (or measured) difference in height (if there was any)?

Has anyone gone for the Cylindrical Gripper Knob because of its height?
How the MGW adapter for the OEM knob looks like? (I did not find any info about it on MGW site.)
And last but not least - When you put the shifter in the car did you fasten the bolts to any particular torque, or just went by your gut feeling?

Sponsored

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Twister Orange w/HP
I went with an MGW white ball shifter to keep it looking mostly stock. I think the height is fine but it is definitely a touch lower than stock.

I have heard trying to go with the stock ball on the MGW makes it much shorter, too short even.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Damn. Another $600 I now have to spend. Sheā€™s going to be pissedā€¦.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I have heard trying to go with the stock ball on the MGW makes it much shorter, too short even.
Where did you hear that? I got a recommendation from MGW that if I am concerned about the height (having the ball too low) I should go with the adapter and the stock ball.

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be honest it was just in a few different videos I had found online searching the same question. I never tried it and just went with their knob because of it, but I could be wrong as I never tried.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
To be honest it was just in a few different videos I had found online searching the same question. I never tried it and just went with their knob because of it, but I could be wrong as I never tried.
We will see, eventually, as I have ordered it with the adapter for the factory knob. @Esset has it with MGW ball already installed and from what we have measured on our sticks, his ball is 5 mm lower than the factory ball on my factory shifter šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I didnā€™t put much thought into the height of the shift knob when I ordered the shifter for the Shelby. I selected their modular ball. It feels great, but I couldnā€™t tell you whether itā€™s higher or lower than stock. And Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d never notice the 5mm difference.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Just tu update my last statement here, after watching this video (which @stev3french might have referred to) and conversing with the author (I wonder if he is here), while at the same time rising the same question with MGW again I got finally the understanding of how the two solutions differ and why is the OEM knob with an OEM adapter lower.

The MGW ball has its thread cut in its bottom half, while the OEM ball has its thread cut in its top half. The bottom half of the OEM knob is cut out (as shown on the video as well). Both knobs are screwed onto the same rod, the OEM adapter just fills the OEM knob's bottom cavity to make it sit tight.

The exact difference could be measured by someone who has both knobs (might be me, as I have changed my order for the MGW knob at the end).

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes this was the video! I couldn't remember which it was and it wasn't showing in my history when I was looking the first looking.

One more wrench in all this (a minor one) I ended up not using the MGW knob for long. It is actually lighter than the stock knob and found for comfort I wanted something heavier. I ended up with a billetworks white sphere which is ~450g. It is pretty hefty and putting it on the shifter made a world of difference for comfort for someone who doesn't plan to track the car, just cruise/hoon in it.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I ended up with a billetworks white sphere which is ~450g. It is pretty hefty and putting it on the shifter made a world of difference for comfort for someone who doesn't plan to track the car, just cruise/hoon in it.
Wow, this indeed is pretty heavy :). I guess I will start with MGW shifter and eventually blame you for the additional expense :wink:. Just a question, did you just buy a knob (ball) or do you need to get the other parts from billetworkz as well (the reverse lockout or the reverse lockout adaptor)?

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it just works with the MGW shifter if you choose the correct vehicle type ( Vehicle: Ford Mustang '15+ (12x1.25mm) ). I will say all was not lost. The jam nut from MGW is super high quality and it works perfectly with the billetworkz knob. I can post a pic sometime if that would interest you.
Sponsored