Sponsored

MGW Shifter for Mach1

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
What issues are solved by buying a Mach1 instead of a Base S550 with a 4 cylinder engine?
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
What issues are solved by buying a Mach1 instead of a Base S550 with a 4 cylinder engine?
Hmm, you see to be evading the question. Seems pretty straightforward. Maybe someone else has some insight?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol. No evasion my friend. I'm trying to lead you there but I'm not getting through. It is very straight forward.

Again. What issues are solved by buying a Mach1 instead of a Base S550 with a 4 cylinder engine?

richardmauro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
richard
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500, 22 Porsche 992 Targa, 2019 Porsche TTS
Again, if it was the MT82 I'd consider it spam... the Mach shifter, not so much. I'm just curious what issues with the Mach shifter are solved with the MGW.
My mechanic works on a lot of performance cars and his issue was- what for and complicated besides I am not tracking car

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many shifters has your mechanic ever installed? And if you don't track the car, why buy a car designed to excel at the track? Rhetorical yes, but I'm interested in your answer.

Sponsored

richardmauro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
richard
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500, 22 Porsche 992 Targa, 2019 Porsche TTS
Lol. No evasion my friend. I'm trying to lead you there but I'm not getting through. It is very straight forward.

Again. What issues are solved by buying a Mach1 instead of a Base S550 with a 4 cylinder engine?
And what are you driving!!!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do I drive? Among other vehicles, I sold my GT350 and drive a 2020 GT500. Does that assuage relevance for you?

Can you answer the questions I asked?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS

If he passes, I’ll play. The base S550 is a fine car. Starts, runs, reliable and stylish. The Mach 1 is a substantial upgrade in power, handling and driving experience with a higher performance capacity. OE shifter is also fine. The MGW is a substantial upgrade in feel, confidence, speed and repeatable shifts with a higher performance capacity.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Hmm, you see to be evading the question. Seems pretty straightforward. Maybe someone else has some insight?
mike hopefully as these make their way into Mach 1’s someone on here that’s close enough to you will give you a chance to drive theirs. I think you would be pretty impressed. But it also depends how you drive the car I think. This mod has a much bigger impact if you like really fast shifts all the time. Sometimes I’m feeling lazy and I don’t mind the slower, longer shifts. But the MGW gets rid of that and gives you a very mechanical race car like shifter all the time. Maybe not for everyone but worth trying if you can find someone that has one!

My mechanic works on a lot of performance cars and his issue was- what for and complicated besides I am not tracking car
That’s a fair point. I see people throw a lot of kids at cars that in my opinion don’t do anything other than give them satisfaction of working on their car. In my experience the difference between an oem mustang shifter and aftermarket is huge. And the best part is you notice it every time you drive. I won’t go to the trouble of weight reduction or wild chassis/suspension mods because my run around town on the weekend isn’t going to allow me to notice those. But I won’t get out of my neighborhood without noticing sharp, precise shifts. Money well spent for me.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Egparson202 said:
If he passes, I’ll play. The base S550 is a fine car. Starts, runs, reliable and stylish. The Mach 1 is a substantial upgrade in power, handling and driving experience with a higher performance capacity. OE shifter is also fine. The MGW is a substantial upgrade in feel, confidence, speed and repeatable shifts with a higher performance capacity.
There you go, somebody gets it. Thank you.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Same. The main attraction for the mach 1 is the better transmission imho. People saying its a major upgrade makes me wonder if they are overselling it. There is always room for improvement of course, and I’ve spent more money on stupid mods that do less.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The transmission and the shifter are two separate components, if you will. I've written extensively here on the TR3160 and the shifter Ford designed. There are numerous threads in the GT350 section regarding this. To kick it off, a basic understanding of the components of the shifter. I created a thread in December of 2015 that breaks it down. Google "GT350 OEM Shifter" and you'll see a link to SVTP. Familiarize yourself with what you see there and we can get caught up through the years to current.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Ah, so it looks like it gets significantly more sloppy with age. That would explain why it hasn't shown up much in the mach 1 reviews on brand new press cars. I've had Hurst shifters in a few of my previous cars and enjoyed them.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
The MGW is a substantial upgrade in feel, confidence, speed and repeatable shifts with a higher performance capacity.
This mod has a much bigger impact if you like really fast shifts all the time. Sometimes I’m feeling lazy and I don’t mind the slower, longer shifts. But the MGW gets rid of that and gives you a very mechanical race car like shifter all the time.
Thank you. I'm sure that in general it is a great shifter, and I considered buying one for the 2018 GT. I'm curious if people have installed one in their Mach 1 and came away with the same impressions, because my impressions of the Mach shifter over the GT are similar to the above, even though they're supposedly the same, according to one or two of the review articles.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...my impressions of the Mach shifter over the GT are similar to the above, even though they're supposedly the same, according to one or two of the review articles.
The MT82 used in the Mustang GT actually has a shifter with better performance potential than that of the Tremec TR3160 in the GT350/Mach1. The GT shifter has a linear action with a pivot atop a longitudinally mounted rod. Sadly, overly soft bushings used for NVH and a somewhat clunky linkage connected to the transmission output shaft murks things up.

The issue with the stock GT350/Mach1 shifter is that it utilizes a pendulum design (non-linear), where you are trying to "swing" the linkage into place to impart a shift. The plastic sphere and race deflect, reducing feel and accuracy, as well as wearing over time such that the linkage gets loose. The composite collar used for reverse/lockout is a fail and I've written about it as such since inception and had some healthy discussions here about it. The recall on this shifter design was well deserved. The spring for the collar rattles and Ford addressed that by inserting a tiny piece of foam between the spring and the shifter upright. There are numerous threads about these issues in the GT350 forum. The Mach1 shifter is the exact same unit that was being used when GT350 production stopped.

The benefits from the MGW are numerous. First off, MGW chose to use a linear connection to the transmission, akin to the way a bolt-action rifle works in terms of direction/rotation. The massive bronze bushing ensures deflection will not be an issue with the main shaft as it exits the shifter box. Shifts are much more direct.

The materials used, from 6061-T6 aluminum, 303 stainless, the aforementioned bushing, along with isolation where necessary to minimize or eliminate NVH, all contribute to a very rigid platform which is what translates into crisp/clean shifts through the transmission. Tolerances and heat treatment at critical junctures mean you won't see wear in a typical lifetime - something the stock unit falls flat on its face with. This shifter begs to be roughed up but will reward you every time. George is a master of his craft and his shifter designs exemplify that.
Sponsored