Sponsored

Manual: No warm up

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I read the manual and it says NOT to warm.up the vehicle. Just start driving. Why would Ford Engineers advise this? I am so used to warming up engines before driving. I mean, I'll still let it idle for a few seconds to have parts lubricated. I won't rev it past 3k or accelerate even mildly until it warms up to normal temperatures. I noticed that I cannot use 5th gear until the temp gauge moved a tad.

Does anyone have insight on those two things I mentioned?
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Driving the vehicle is warming up the vehicle, just dont drive hard or go over 3k like you said. Its not just the engine that needs to get warmed up but everything does, transmission, suspension , tires etc, and those dont warm up unless you are driving.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Why would Ford Engineers advise this?
Because it's not needed and it simply wastes fuel. Doing what you mentioned is perfectly fine.

I noticed that I cannot use 5th gear until the temp gauge moved a tad.
What do you mean you can't use 5th gear? What happens when you try to shift into 5th when it's cold?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
This tends to vary by manufacturer and car age, but modern fuel injection engines require a few seconds to stabilize fuel/air mixtures and get temperatures above 40F. Beyond that, there is nothing to be gained by letting the engine warm up while sitting. It just wastes fuel. The car will warm up faster moving. In theory, you should not have to limit rpms while driving. But, in actual practice, pistons and blocks do not expand at the same rate, so higher rpms before engine and oil temperature have reached optimum levels can result in piston ring wear, or bore scoring or seizure, in extreme cases. I have seen Dodge and Chevy V8s with well over 100k miles that exhibit moderate bore scoring, with little effect. But, on horizontally opposed engines it can be serious.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
When its a bit colder outside like right now I'll hit the autostart maybe a minute or two before I get in the car & then drive it fairly gently until the oil temp touches the low end of the normal range. But whether it runs for a little bit or not really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things either.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I read the manual and it says NOT to warm.up the vehicle. Just start driving. Why would Ford Engineers advise this? I am so used to warming up engines before driving. I mean, I'll still let it idle for a few seconds to have parts lubricated. I won't rev it past 3k or accelerate even mildly until it warms up to normal temperatures. I noticed that I cannot use 5th gear until the temp gauge moved a tad.

Does anyone have insight on those two things I mentioned?
This way you are running your engine at sub-optimal clearances at longer time that you would have if you have driven it (which would warm it up quicker).

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Because it's not needed and it simply wastes fuel. Doing what you mentioned is perfectly fine.

What do you mean you can't use 5th gear? What happens when you try to shift into 5th when it's cold?
I mean, I can. I may hear a zipping whiney sound as the shifter passes through the gates. I only have a mile commute so I only go about 45mph.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Start it up and go. It'll warm up faster moving than sitting. Engines haven't needed "warm-up" for decades.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
It took me long time to believe that ( coming from a 67 Riviera) new cars don't need a warmup. I still let it run for a minute , because when I pull out of my street I have an uphill climb. I did notice that the trans takes a long time to heat up- maybe 10 minutes of average driving. So no hard charging for the first 10-15 minutes

Sponsored

TunedN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jet
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3L, 2013 Ford Focus SEL, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
I've read there are more issues with valve buildup if you don't let it warm up before going over 3k RPMs unless you have a catch can. The oil pressure is high until it warms up on these cars. Install a catch can, then let it warm up under 3k while driving, then rip it.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I've read there are more issues with valve buildup if you don't let it warm up before going over 3k RPMs unless you have a catch can. The oil pressure is high until it warms up on these cars. Install a catch can, then let it warm up under 3k while driving, then rip it.
This makes no sense. Oil pressure is directly related to engine rpm since the pump is driven off the engine. Yes - it is higher during cold start procedure vs. warm start but that lasts a minute or so and only matters at idle.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Gee, I let mine warm up for a couple of minutes until the tick goes away. The tick usually goes away before I check the tire pressure monitor, and get all my settings set. I still haven't finished break in period, but driving season is close.
Sponsored