Sponsored

Magneride questions before i order car

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
As I get closer to ordering myself a 2019 Mustang I have been narrowing down what I want and don't want.
My final big thing is the Magneride suspension or not.

Does it tend to be high maintenance? Parts that wear out frequently? For a guy who will never track his car is it still a good option to get?
Where I live it is mountainous, and some very twisty roads.
I like fast spirited driving occasionally when on low traffic twisties, but again not race speeds or race track. Usually be 2 of us and some luggage going on road trips, running errands alone, that sort of thing, as well as the twisty road runs for a fun drive with the girlfriend.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I would suggest you google mangeride, or magnetorheological and understand the systems. And also ask yourself, what maintenance do modern cars even require these days? Do you think Ford would install a suspension system on their cars that has actual maintenance requirements?

As far as durability, I've heard they last hundreds of thousands of miles. It's not new tech, it's been around for a decade or more I believe.

Reactions: Why
OP
OP

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I would suggest you google mangeride, or magnetorheological and understand the systems. And also ask yourself, what maintenance do modern cars even require these days? Do you think Ford would install a suspension system on their cars that has actual maintenance requirements?

As far as durability, I've heard they last hundreds of thousands of miles. It's not new tech, it's been around for a decade or more I believe.
Thanks for the reply and advice.
I heard some brands needing very expensive shocks replaced with only 20k miles on the cars, and some other stuff, but I try to take what i hear or read with a grain of salt as well. The suspension is basically my last decision to make and I'll be ordering a 2019 GT before the end of the month.
Again truly appreciate your helpful response.
Cheers

OP
OP

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Awesome to know DrGrabster.
Sadly I have not driven one, the three Demo Mustangs I got to drive all had the conventional suspension.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I've wondered if the fluid, since it has ferrous particles in it, is abrasive to the orifices?

Sponsored

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It's worth the money. I have it on my 2018 and it is awesome on the country roads I drive where I live. The magneride has on more than one occasion smoothed out the shitty road conditions I have encountered.

You really need to test drive the two options to see the difference as I feel its night and day.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
No hesitation here. Have it on my Bullitt, and it is amazing...... The car corners flat and rides smooth. You will not regret it....

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Have you driven both? My non magna pp1 rides really well for such a stiff car on uneven roads imo. No squeaks nor rattles either.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Magneride and PP were the two options I HAD to have on my '18, and I wasn't able to drive one with MR before I found the one I bought either. For me, it was a gamble - I was really hoping that it would work well enough that I wouldn't be pissed that I didn't spend the money on a set of Koni's instead. Good shocks will make stiff springs and sways a joy to drive, so the MR had to deliver. I've got just over 4000 miles on mine so far, and not one bit of regret. Rain & Snow mode is noticeably softer than Normal, and Sport + is noticeably firmer. I haven't had a real opportunity to see if I can tell the difference between Sport + and Track, and I haven't been able to test the Drag mode yet either. GIven how well the other modes work, I'm pretty sure they won't disappoint. I won't say that the technology is magic, but it definitely does what it is reported to do, and I'm not missing those Koni's at all.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Thanks so much to all of you.
ZINK, no i have not driven one with MR yet.

ED, if it works that sort of miracles I would pay an extra 10k for it lol

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I love it on my Bullitt as well. Smoother ride in normal mode and nicely firms up at the flip of a switch for those back road drives. The only reason I'd suggest maybe not getting it is if you plan to do a bunch of suspension mods, otherwise I agree with everyone here that it's worth the money.

ICEFURY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 2019 Mustang GT on order
How is the wheel hop with it?

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
MR was high on my list but dealer made an offer I couldn't refuse on only PP1 no MR. I test drove the PP1 through all kinds of roads and situations looking for something I didn't like. No floaty feeling, no bounce, no excessive wheel hop...none of the things this forum warned me about. I'm putting that down to 18+ suspension changes...except the wheel hop I'm not a drag strip driver so really didn't put that to the test.

I'm very happy with 18 PP1 now 4 months in...to the point where I'm getting same rate minimum lowering springs tomorrow but not dampers.

If you have the option close to msrp, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If the price difference is more like $4k+ due to rebates, incentives, and demand then my decision it was not worth that much.

BTW, my prior car had active suspension. Its awesome to be able to dial it down for normal driving and at the flip of a switch turn it to back road mode.

Last edited:

Jm22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S90
Besides tracking and driving hard, isn't magne-ride supposed to increase the comfort over bumpy roads?

I'm in the same boat as OP, looking for magne-ride for comfort in the NY metro area, where the roads are complete shit.
Sponsored