Sponsored

Magneride daily driving car

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Corrections - seems like Levittown has front Magneride struts for GT350/GT500 for $287 (which I think is the same part GT uses) vs. $119 for non-Magneride one. It's actually cheap ;-)
Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Magneride is firmer, but more compliant, which to me translates to more comfortable. But, ride quality is a very subjective thing.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Magneride is firmer, but more compliant, which to me translates to more comfortable. But, ride quality is a very subjective thing.
So what you are suggesting is the base GT is more 'buoyant' and softer?

Never road a base GT.

Like someone else said, adding performance packages would suggest, and they indicate in the literature, they have stiffer springs which should make a firmer ride.

Then again, this is a sporty car, not a lux sedan.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
In addition to other benefits, MR does a great job with controlling bounce/rebound - we've got a couple of places around here, like the entry/exit points of some bridges. I'll hit the spot which would make my previous '16 get into a bouncy up-down-up-down, and MR completely controls that. I get to the end where it kind of "drops off", and watch cars go through a couple of up/down cycles, mine just immediately settles.

I don't think MR is firmer in itself, I think that results from the complete package - a PP1 or PP2 car is going to have different rate springs, bigger stabilizers (that can contribute to lateral stiffness feel), lower profile tires.

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
A lot of confusion from some here on what Magneride actually does I think !

Magneride ONLY concerns the dampers (although there are other changes to the MR cars suspension such as different hubs but not really relevant to behaviour)

It has it's main effect on primary ride where the dampers can quickly vary their 'stiffness' if you like. Secondary ride is less affected.

Magneride is always active - the switched modes just vary the damper performance tending towards greater control at the expense of ride quality in the more aggressive settings.

As 'kz' alludes to, ride is a combination of spring rates, dampers and bushings. When you can vary the damping on the fly you can be well damped when you need it and more relaxed on other occasions. A good example is when driving on the sort of jiggly road surfaces found on French B roads where the magneride is able to act like a magic carpet as well as providing better contact with the road surface and good control.

It should also be considered that over firm damping will harm car handling on anything but race track smooth surfaces. Magneride allows the wheels / tyres to maintain a better contact patch on rougher road surfaces by being less damped when it needs to be.
Thanks a lot for the details. So best comfort or handling in most driving condition seems interesting

Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I don't think MR is firmer in itself, I think that results from the complete package - a PP1 or PP2 car is going to have different rate springs, bigger stabilizers (that can contribute to lateral stiffness feel), lower profile tires.
There's probably some truth to that, but my point was that even with the firmer ride, I find the MR more comfortable than the Base GT. I drove both before I bought, back to back.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
There's probably some truth to that, but my point was that even with the firmer ride, I find the MR more comfortable than the Base GT. I drove both before I bought, back to back.
Ahh, that's really interesting feedback. I bet the MR cars are "stiffer", but that on-the-fly adjustment really makes a different across a wide range of conditions.

WIth my MR car, I never get a harsh thud, going across construction areas it feels way more muted in my '19/MR PP car vs. my '16/PP car (both convertibles).

Of course, probably like you, I also feel more comfortable with a more settled, predictable, sporty feel - heck, even our SUV is a sport model since that floaty feeling gives me the willys (it's a Durango RT ...)
Sponsored