Sponsored

New Guy Questions - Before I buy

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
New guy to the forum here. I have decent knowledge of the Mustang but have a few questions for you guys/gals if you dont mind. I have had a couple stangs in teh past and got family with a 13 Boss. I know I can glean a lot of this by reading a thousand threads (almost there) so I appreciate you patience.

1. GT vs GT350, Im on the fence, but I want a daily driver also. Love the look of the GT350 and when I saw them side by side it seemed a lowerer spring package on the GT would make it look a lot better. I dislike the pony in the grill but know its easy to fix.

2. 0-60? What are you folks seeing for real?

3. Top Speed? I see Ford limits this, is it 155 or 164, and can a tune change that? I dont think Ill ever do it but Im curious.

4. I drove an Auto with the driving mode (right name?) it has all four options including track, snow etc. Does this sound correct with an Auto?

5. Anyone put lowering springs on the GT, hows your handling affected?

I have lots of other questions but these are the basic ones. I can search and have and I think the GT vs GT350 is a very personal thing but Im interested to here your views. I got my truck for crappy weather so this is my toy but not sure I want to spend 60K. With 300 days of sun here in CO Im sure it will be driven a lot.

Plus Im sure liking the Ruby Red, put some ghost silver stripes on it maybe.

wish I could get the PP with an Auto.
Sponsored

Last edited:

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
With some of your questions I would just eliminate the GT350 now. They are manual only and I think a GT with PP will be plenty for you to handle based on your questions. You can get the Auto + PP with the 50th anniversary edition.

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
1. I was on the fence about a GT350 as well, until I determined that there was virtually 0% chance of me getting a 2015. Then factoring in the 2016 wait times, potential for uplift beyond MSRP, and how much of a niche car it is, I decided that a base GT with PP would be a better choice for me. It's somewhere between a daily driver and pleasure vehicle - I could drive it daily, but don't because I like to savour the enjoyment (and can afford to keep a daily driver). Had I gone GT350, it would have been more impractical because it would have made it more of a sacrifice to maintain or buy a new daily driver. A GT350 would be really special, and I love the car, but I also considered that my SVO dealer would be far more familiar with the Coyote and thus maintenance down the road would be both less expensive and more dependable. That was my reasoning...

2. Haven't done it yet, sorry, still in break in period.

3. Yes, a tune would remove the stock governor limitation of 164 mph, but if you do that, you'd be wise to replace a whole set of parts that aren't beefy enough for >164 mph (e.g. drivetrain components).

4. Yes, but my personal perspective is that my right foot and manual transmission is my "drive mode". I just personally am not a fan of automatics for a pleasure vehicle, but we all have differing priorities and traffic conditions to deal with. Many folks might not prefer the stiffness of the chassis with the Performance Package. I love it and could drive it every day. My standard transmission and PP might not be so great if I lived in Toronto... so, to each their own.

5. For my purposes, it's not necessary with the PP.

Ruby Red is sweet - great choice! Was my second choice.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Sounds more like you just want styling and daily driving speed (0-60). For that I would say maybe look at the Roush RS2 and then just get a tune. Especially since the GTPP and GT350 can only be had in a manual

OP
OP
obgod3

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Thanks guys, Yeh I dont mind a Manual, I just thought the Auto was pretty slick when I drove it and I couldn't out shift the paddles with a Manual if I tried hard. The FPC is the real reason for being interested in the GT350 but Im not sure thats a good enough reason. But the aftermarket headers and exhaust systems on the 5.0 sure sound sweet.

At the end of the day Im not going to be driving 100MPH+ anywhere for any length of time, never see a track. But the PP is something im interested in. Ugh this is too hard LOL.

73MachI you make a very good point about the GT350, it will be more than a year before some dealer wont try to sell it with a stupid ADM, unless you buy via USAA. But the ability to option your car becomes limited also.

FYI the Magnetic is awesome also.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
New guy to the forum here. I have decent knowledge of the Mustang but have a few questions for you guys/gals if you dont mind. I have had a couple stangs in teh past and got family with a 13 Boss. I know I can glean a lot of this by reading a thousand threads (almost there) so I appreciate you patience.

1. GT vs GT350, Im on the fence, but I want a daily driver also. Love the look of the GT350 and when I saw them side by side it seemed a lowerer spring package on the GT would make it look a lot better. I dislike the pony in the grill but know its easy to fix.

2. 0-60? What are you folks seeing for real?

3. Top Speed? I see Ford limits this, is it 155 or 164, and can a tune change that? I dont think Ill ever do it but Im curious.

4. I drove an Auto with the driving mode (right name?) it has all four options including track, snow etc. Does this sound correct with an Auto?

5. Anyone put lowering springs on the GT, hows your handling affected?

I have lots of other questions but these are the basic ones. I can search and have and I think the GT vs GT350 is a very personal thing but Im interested to here your views. I got my truck for crappy weather so this is my toy but not sure I want to spend 60K. With 300 days of sun here in CO Im sure it will be driven a lot.

Plus Im sure liking the Ruby Red, put some ghost silver stripes on it maybe.

wish I could get the PP with an Auto.
If you don't care about Sync 3, get a '15 Auto when the '16s come out and then add the springs, etc. You cant get the PP in the auto. If you dont care about the auto, then get the GTPP.

cyandhappiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
GT vs GT350

I had the longest time to think about this before I bought my GT PP. I'm glad I didn't wait since all the hype and anticipation from across the board will push the GT350 into no discount territory compare to just joining MCA and get X plan discount for a loaded GT.

The options on the GT350 is a bit ridiculous on price compare to what you getting. Yes you can get an amazing track car for the entry level price point, but if you want comfort and tech, you are getting slaughter on options. On top of that there's gas guzzler tax. In reality you are buying 2 GT for the price of a GT350 with all gadgets involved.

*I had a car salesman pressure me into buying more packages in the car than I want. I have a very particular set of options that I need and nothing else. He started to saying I'm nip-picking 620 over a 40k purchase. And that mentality is what get most people in bad financial decisions.

PrabhtheStig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR 2015 GT Premium Auto, 3.55, nav, premiers trim
I got a auto gt premium and many options except rain sensing wipers. It's very calm around town then when you flick a paddle in S and s+ it gets wonderfully brutal. You won't be disappointed.

And noe you HAVE to get a 16. I ordered my 15 may 25th, after the 28th you have to get 16s unless you buy off a lot

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
No harm in waiting for a bit, mate. Best to order and get exactly what you want, IMHO, unless you've done your research and can find something exactly as you want on a lot.

I was on the verge of buying an S197 when early rumours of the S550 came out. I probably waited 5 years to get my car - when S550s finally became available, it was too late in the year (November, on the cusp of winter) to order mine, so I waited again until spring.

It was worth the wait. Savour the anticipation, my friend.

Sponsored

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
GT vs gt350 isn't a very personal thing at all. The gt350 really comes alive in the very high RPM's that you'll never see on the streets. Unless you plan on driving at around 6k rpm everywhere you aren't going to enjoy the gt350 for a DD.

0-60 is 4.5~ seconds(dependant on conditions of course)

Tune will remove the speed limit(hennessy claims theirs will go up to 195, not that I would let hennessey even look at my car from down the block)

You drove a premium auto.

I'm pretty sure the limit is 149 with the unlimited speed at 164.

I lowered my GT on Steeda's springs and it handles better than before with no noticeable NVH.

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
No harm in waiting for a bit, mate. Best to order and get exactly what you want, IMHO, unless you've done your research and can find something exactly as you want on a lot.

I was on the verge of buying an S197 when early rumours of the S550 came out. I probably waited 5 years to get my car - when S550s finally became available, it was too late in the year (November, on the cusp of winter) to order mine, so I waited again until spring.

It was worth the wait. Savour the anticipation, my friend.
Holy shit dude 5 years? The 11-14's are great cars, I loved my 12' and wouldn't have gotten a 15' if these jackass texas drivers knew what stop signs meant.

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Holy shit dude 5 years? The 11-14's are great cars, I loved my 12' and wouldn't have gotten a 15' if these jackass texas drivers knew what stop signs meant.
LOL yeah, it was just... a goal. It was like going to the gym for my mind... exercising restraint :)

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
LOL yeah, it was just... a goal. It was like going to the gym for my mind... exercising restraint :)
Fair enough.

I caught a whiff of the new 5.0's coming out in like 08 and decided then and there that I would have one. December 2011 my friend was diving my manual GT home from the dealer for me so he could teach me how to drive it :)