Magnaride rear shock removal

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Any one ever have success removing the rear shocks from the lower control arms? I got them out when the cadle was out. Doing it in the car is a different story. I just can move them around enough to get them out. It's like a evil genius designed the opening.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It take a little finagling, but it’s doable. Have a look here.

I am curious though, what are you replacing the rear shocks with?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've done it a half dozen times and it doesn't stick out as difficult. I think you go out through the bottom or angle tilt the shock. Certainly not as hard as getting to the driver side inner camber bolt!

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've done it a half dozen times and it doesn't stick out as difficult. I think you go out through the bottom or angle tilt the shock. Certainly not as hard as getting to the driver side inner camber bolt!
^^This. Angles and dangles will do it.

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
It take a little finagling, but it’s doable. Have a look here.

I am curious though, what are you replacing the rear shocks with?

I've had this annoying thud that is so intermittent and a not so obvious, that it's driving me crazy. I can drive over a crappy road for miles and it's perfect. I hit a small bump, fast, slow, and nothing. But I hit something a certain way, a cerain bump...and there it is. I tried every mode. Checked everything. Nothings loose. It's the rear right.

This was happening last year. I had the cradle out this year to install the diff bushings. I found the BMR camber lock outs were loose as were the bolts holding the camber arms in. I figured that was it. Nope. I was going to swap the shock from side to side, but honestly I can find anything loose in the shock. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the BMR camber arm, as this started right after I installed them last year. Or it's the cradle lock outs.

I also pulled the boots down so I can cut down the bumpers for the steeda lowering springs. Trying to shove the boot back up has been a challenge.

Whoever designed that control arms shock mount is a marvel comics level super villain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I've had this annoying thud that is so intermittent and a not so obvious, that it's driving me crazy. I can drive over a crappy road for miles and it's perfect. I hit a small bump, fast, slow, and nothing. But I hit something a certain way, a cerain bump...and there it is. I tried every mode. Checked everything. Nothings loose. It's the rear right.

This was happening last year. I had the cradle out this year to install the diff bushings. I found the BMR camber lock outs were loose as were the bolts holding the camber arms in. I figured that was it. Nope. I was going to swap the shock from side to side, but honestly I can find anything loose in the shock. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the BMR camber arm, as this started right after I installed them last year. Or it's the cradle lock outs.

I also pulled the boots down so I can cut down the bumpers for the steeda lowering springs. Trying to shove the boot back up has been a challenge.

Whoever designed that control arms shock mount is a marvel comics level super villain.
Actually that video show the non magnaride shocks. Those sit on top of the control arm. The magnaride shock stick out through the bottom of the control arm and bolt onto the bottom. The non magnaride shocks are easy to get out.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

I thought you were going to say that you were deleting Magneride. I deleted mine and my new shocks are noisy, but I knew they would be prior to buying them. Now if I can only get the car to hook up on them, I’ll wear the noise like a badge of honor.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I had a buddy chasing a noise and ended up he didn’t apply the grease to the camber arms and/or vertical links or didn’t grease them correctly, just a thought/suggestion.

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I had a buddy chasing a noise and ended up he didn’t apply the grease to the camber arms and/or vertical links or didn’t grease them correctly, just a thought/suggestion.
I've greased the hell out of those arms. I had the BMR spherical bearing vertical links. I thought maybe they were too stiff. I replaced them with delrin ones. Intermittent noise is still there.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I've greased the hell out of those arms. I had the BMR spherical bearing vertical links. I thought maybe they were too stiff. I replaced them with delrin ones. Intermittent noise is still there.
I’ve also heard over torquing can cause suspension popping noises, causes binding. Any chance that happened on any components ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I’ve also heard over torquing can cause suspension popping noises, causes binding. Any chance that happened on any components ?
Everything is delrin or spherical bearings.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I had the same issue last year. If I remember correctly, someone suggested removing the brake caliper to get some extra clearance angle. That did the trick.

Again, this is going by memory.

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I had a noise like you describe... I chased it for 6 months. Nothing was loose... even used a dead-blow hammer to try and find it.... nothing!? I finally replaced all my sway bar end-links (all for corners)... boom, noise gone. And yes i checked them during that 6 month hunt.

After replacing, I noticed the old end links where loose, there was no play or movement like you'd find in a bad ball joint or tie rod end, just loose. Either way she's super quiet now.

FWIW: I have delrin or heim joints throughout the front and rear suspension... also lowered...etc...

John S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
On-vehicle Magneride rear shock removal must have been an afterthought because there wasn't enough clearance in the control arm "window" to fish out the shock. ( at least on my car.) I didn't feel like removing calipers or any other obstacles for such a basic procedure so a tiny bit of deburring/grinding on shock mounting ears resolved the clearance issue.

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
On-vehicle Magneride rear shock removal must have been an afterthought because there wasn't enough clearance in the control arm "window" to fish out the shock. ( at least on my car.) I didn't feel like removing calipers or any other obstacles for such a basic procedure so a tiny bit of deburring/grinding on shock mounting ears resolved the clearance issue.
I'm coming to that conclusion. I got them out when the cradle was out. No way to get them out unless you start taking things off.
Sponsored