Sponsored

Let's talk trailers...anyone with a custom ATC/inTech?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Well that blew cost out of the water. Lol. Congrats! I’m going to be after another trailer in the spring. My 22 450 gets here in a couple of weeks.

Well, I'm back. Actually just submitted an order for a 50ft livings quarter trailer with 28ft garage from SMS Trailers. Some changes to future house plans will keep the RV a few years out, so we're headed with a gooseneck that I can sleep in at the race track. Seriously considered a built out Intech, but between cost and wait, it's a bit of out scope. Plus, the wife unit wasn't super interested in sleeping in the same "room" as the race car. Can't really argue with that.

I'll share more once I get the engineering schematics and of course I'll share details once delivered.

Looking like about 120 day lead time. Getting pretty excited - now just need a truck. Ha.
Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well that blew cost out of the water. Lol. Congrats! I’m going to be after another trailer in the spring. My 22 450 gets here in a couple of weeks.
Ya. It's cheaper in the long run, but more costly up front. Trailer is coming in at around $120k, but that's pretty reasonable for the current market and what it offers--fully furnished LQ, 7.5k Onan QD, full aluminum frame and garage, custom cabinets, AC, etc. The equivalent Intechs were coming in around 140K. It's absolute insanity.

While the trailer cost is high, it sure beats the cost of a proper Super C rv. The new truck and trailer combined will be less than just the RV. ha

Congrats on the F450. When did you order your truck? Is it built yet?

Mine is on order, but I am still in the blackhole with no timeline. I'm also submitting a Dodge Ram order as well and we'll see what real timelines look like. Fortunately, the current climate means very little risk of custom orders as the dealers will gladly sell it off the lot if you decline it.

Last edited:

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Id do an open trailer and do a mcs/spl with sequential for the money 😭

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Id do an open trailer and do a mcs/spl with sequential for the money 😭
If I had a dollar every time I get crap for this I'd have a sequential already hahah

I mentioned this in the first post, but I'm at the track 30+ days a year (18 of which are at COTA alone) and I camp at the track every time. This is more about quality of life than anything. Hopefully after this, I'll be fully focused on the cage, coilovers, and sequential. And maybe a real bad ass clutch kit I have in the works!

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
If I had a dollar every time I get crap for this I'd have a sequential already hahah

I mentioned this in the first post, but I'm at the track 30+ days a year (18 of which are at COTA alone) and I camp at the track every time. This is more about quality of life than anything. Hopefully after this, I'll be fully focused on the cage, coilovers, and sequential. And maybe a real bad ass clutch kit I have in the works!
This such a good idea and now you got me thinking about it…..travel with the kid to tracks….

Where are you going to rind a f-450. I tried looking for one from my fleet guy and he said oct 2023 for new orders

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This such a good idea and now you got me thinking about it…..travel with the kid to tracks….

Where are you going to rind a f-450. I tried looking for one from my fleet guy and he said oct 2023 for new orders
This is what I based mine off of. Went with custom cabinets, added carpted to walls, couch in the garage, and some other extras. I'm pretty excited. There's a guy here in TX with this exact trailer and it's really nice. SMS SHADOW TRAILER for Sale in FOREST HILL, MD | RacingJunk

I submitted an order through Chuck Anderson Ford for a couple K off MSRP. They're predicting May, but there's no real promise for that. Could be earlier, could be several months earlier.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the middle of July, it’s built and actually shipped ten days or so ago. It’s a platinum. I was originally told 12-14 weeks and knew that wasn’t going to happen. I was told Ford had a material shortage on the factory bed liner material in Aug and Sept and that’s what probably pushed it out. I actually had decided to pass on it but then saw all the adm’s on them and there was zero pretty much in any dealer inventory. They offered me almost 60 for my lifted 17 and that was with me removing 5k worth of accessories that I could sell, so I decided to go ahead with it. Your absolutely correct that they would have wished I’d passed on it because they would have sold it for 10k above msrp minimum the day it actually hit the dealership. They’ll sell my 250 in less then a week or ”wholesale” out of state right away. Its built right for towing, even with 37’s.
BC80AB8B-4D50-4BB9-979F-0D574107EA9C.jpeg
I really liked my 250 but ultimately what pushed me was I really like how my 550 drives(my daily) and there is zero comparison in the two and how they tow. My dumbarse had just put a new set of 20’s on it(those are 22’s) and powerstop nrakes all around. Lol

That trailer is really slick! Congrats!

Ya. It's cheaper in the long run, but more costly up front. Trailer is coming in at around $120k, but that's pretty reasonable for the current market and what it offers--fully furnished LQ, 7.5k Onan QD, fully aluminum frame and garage, custom cabinets, AC, etc. The equivalent Intechs were coming in around 140K. It's absolute insanity.

While the trailer cost is high, it sure beats the cost of a proper Super C rv. The new truck and trailer combined will be less than just the RV. ha

Congrats on the F450. When did you order your truck? Is it built yet?

Mine is on order, but I am still in the blackhole with no timeline. I'm also submitting a Dodge Ram order as well and we'll see what real timelines look like. Fortunately, the current climate means very little risk of custom orders as the dealers will gladly sell it off the lot if you decline it.

Last edited:

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the middle of July, it’s built and actually shipped ten days or so ago. It’s a platinum. I was originally told 12-14 weeks and knew that wasn’t going to happen. I was told Ford had a material shortage on the factory bed liner material in Aug and Sept and that’s what probably pushed it out. I actually had decided to pass on it but then saw all the adm’s on them and there was zero pretty much in any dealer inventory. They offered me almost 60 for my lifted 17 and that was with me removing 5k worth of accessories that I could sell, so I decided to go ahead with it. Your absolutely correct that they would have wished I’d passed on it because they would have sold it for 10k above msrp minimum the day it actually hit the dealership. They’ll sell my 250 in less then a week or ”wholesale” out of state right away. Its built right for towing, even with 37’s.
BC80AB8B-4D50-4BB9-979F-0D574107EA9C.jpeg
I really liked my 250 but ultimately what pushed me was I really like how my 550 drives(my daily) and there is zero comparison in the two and how they tow. My dumbarse had just put a new set of 20’s on it(those are 22’s) and powerstop nrakes all around. Lol

That trailer is really slick! Congrats!
My fleet guy said the GM is making them put 20-30k over msrp on trucks. Ford said it wont return to normal til october 2023 per their predictions

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
That’s a long ways out. The adm’s are crazy and I don’t actually blame them. It’s got to be hard keeping the new sales side afloat with no inventory. It’s a little weird to be happy with msrp on such a high sticker vehicle.

My fleet guy said the GM is making them put 20-30k over msrp on trucks. Ford said it wont return to normal til october 2023 per their predictions

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
For those that may not have seen this, SEMA has a good link with trailer rules for each state:
https://www.semasan.com/motorsports_trailers
I didn't go through that site in extreme detail, but there are several states I travel through frequently where I'm oversize and possibly also speeding (even though I always do the posted speed limit or slightly less). You'd think they'd post signs for that..... SMDH. Trying to remain in compliance is frustrating.

Thanks for that link. That's a super helpful resource.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Chairman, thanks again for the info! Are there really forces at work to slow down/ eliminate motorsports? That "motorsports" would include a lot of different activities!

Honeybadger, Congrats on the new trailer. See you mentioned the cost & understand what has inflation has done in the last several months. I find it interesting (your trailer cost) as I have the original paper work for the trailer we purchased last september which was a 2005 Featherlite. Most likely was not as many manufactures back then. In comparison in 05' when the featherlite we purchased( very similar to yours) was built it was at a cost of $102K & look at todays $$ not a whole lot of difference.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Honeybadger, Congrats on the new trailer. See you mentioned the cost & understand what has inflation has done in the last several months. I find it interesting (your trailer cost) as I have the original paper work for the trailer we purchased last september which was a 2005 Featherlite. Most likely was not as many manufactures back then. In comparison in 05' when the featherlite we purchased( very similar to yours) was built it was at a cost of $102K & look at todays $$ not a whole lot of difference.
I kind of went ape and my cost came in at $125k after I added some big $$ items like an 8K Onan diesel gen and some custom stuff in the garage (lots of extra bracing for tire racks, etc.). I expect I'll throw another $5k into it once I get it home adding some stuff the manufacturer wasn't willing to do. But it'll be setup to handle anything I need it to do. Buy once, cry once was my motto for this one.

Those Featherlite's are real nice. Big $$, but worth the cost. I know a few around that age still on the road that damn near look brand new.
Sponsored