Leroy Tire Trailer

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've done raceweek and have this little enclosed. Full weight with everything packed in is about 700lbs. Pulling with a 1000WHP/10R80 whipple setup. Just make sure you have a soft trans tune in.

And yes i took a tent and an air conditioner because my wife and co-pilot was pregnant at the time :cwl:

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Eric. I want to go 305 with 11" wheels all round ( I need 1" spacer in front) as I have staggered set-up now. But was hoping to have 1 or 2 spares, thus the trailer. Mine looks like it doesn't have room but I'll take it down to a tow hitch shop and see.
I managed to get x2 305 wheels in my trunk. 1 in the well and one on top. I do have the Watson roll bar and behind the drivers side it looked like I could squeeze one through but couldn't get it right. Are you saying squeeze through the downbars from the trunk side? So take out the rear seat delete? Good tip on the passenger seat. As long as it's street legal in BC Canada. I'll have to check. This way I could take 5 wheels, overall. Side note -I got your name from Coastal-Mach with whom I did the Mach1TrackAttack with last year.
Tire between downbars goes in through the trunk, yes. So no rear seat delete (it's a track car, who needs interior panels anyway šŸ˜† )

1674658612749.png

I put the tire in through the trunk and slide it back to the purple region shown above. Then my jack and stands sit in the spare tire well and another tire sits on top of that.

I should really take a picture of the car loaded one of these days...

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
Tire between downbars goes in through the trunk, yes. So no rear seat delete (it's a track car, who needs interior panels anyway šŸ˜† )

1674658612749.png

I put the tire in through the trunk and slide it back to the purple region shown above. Then my jack and stands sit in the spare tire well and another tire sits on top of that.

I should really take a picture of the car loaded one of these days...
That would be great to see it loaded. I managed to squeeze my wheel behind the drivers side but then I don't have the bucket seat like yours (yet). Makes sense to remove the rear seat delete though. I am not sure what size wheel you have but mine are 305 wide. So I just cannot see how I would get 2 wheels on the passenger side with the seat out. Just not wide enough. Anyway, until I figure this out, here's how I did it.

IMG_5488.jpg

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've done raceweek and have this little enclosed. Full weight with everything packed in is about 700lbs. Pulling with a 1000WHP/10R80 whipple setup. Just make sure you have a soft trans tune in.

And yes i took a tent and an air conditioner because my wife and co-pilot was pregnant at the time :cwl:
Cool trailer setup! I was considering one of those small enclosed trailers as an upgrade when I was using a little Harbor Freight tire trailer behind my car. Seems like it would be a way more secure way to transport tools and gear without it being much heavier.

Nothing wrong with having a way to hang out in a cool place out of the sun during an event weekend. Bringing family along is always nice.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That would be great to see it loaded. I managed to squeeze my wheel behind the drivers side but then I don't have the bucket seat like yours (yet). Makes sense to remove the rear seat delete though. I am not sure what size wheel you have but mine are 305 wide. So I just cannot see how I would get 2 wheels on the passenger side with the seat out. Just not wide enough. Anyway, until I figure this out, here's how I did it.

IMG_5488.jpg
I also have 305's. The wheels don't fit flush on the floor. They are indeed too wide, just as you said.
The bottom wheels sits at an angle, propped up against the center console. Then the second wheel sits on top of that one.

Is this safe to have two 50 lbs wheels sitting a foot away from your head? Hell no. But I still find this more convenient than the trailer, at least for me and my situation.

Sponsored

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I also have 305's. The wheels don't fit flush on the floor. They are indeed too wide, just as you said.
The bottom wheels sits at an angle, propped up against the center console. Then the second wheel sits on top of that one.

Is this safe to have two 50 lbs wheels sitting a foot away from your head? Hell no. But I still find this more convenient than the trailer, at least for me and my situation.
I just wrap some harness through them but doubt it will help with safety much.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
For a different car, I fab'd up an aluminum receiver that bolted to the steel bumper that we boxed between the rails, (2.5lbs of 16g sheet) To install you removed the lic.plate and bolted the aluminum receiver on , took all of 5 minutes.
Hole in bumper cover was behind lic. plate so unless you removed the tag you would never know.
Never weighed the receiver itself, but it wasn't much As it was all aluminum ,1/4" plate and a square tube and a few gussets that doubled as chain hoops. Car was a 3rd gen T/A

Last edited:

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
So you don't use the tire trailer much after all? Would be very interesting to know why

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you don't use the tire trailer much after all? Would be very interesting to know why
I don't use my trailer for three reasons:

1. Trailer bearings - I have an older Leroy model when they still used traditional trailer bearings...have to pack with grease and are not really intended for speeds above 60-70mph. Later models come with Honda Civic wheel bearings; much better. I already asked if it was possible to convert my trailer - they said no.

2. Storage location - this one is very specific to my personal situation but they only place I have to store the trailer is in the back yard. The only access to the back yard is through the side gate. So I have to stand the trailer up on a floor dolly and wheel it between the backyard and the garage in the front. This thing is not light weight.

3. In case of accident - This one I didn't think about until after I already bought the trailer. God forbid I have an accident at the track or break something to where I cannot drive the car home...no big deal, I have AAA for that; but how do I get the trailer home? Granted, I could have a friend tow it home but I like to be self-reliant.

Lastly, sure it saves space in the car, but it really doesn't save me any time loading & unloading the car.

All that said, it is for sale. Any takers?? šŸ˜† I'm a terrible salesman.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
1. If those are normal sized trailer bearings, they'd be fine and I would not worry about them at all, especially with such a light load. I opened the bearing on my car trailer after 5k miles before longish tow to Lincoln, NE (open car trailer, weighs 2000 lb alone) - grease in the bearing was pristine. Still red colored.

2. Lift the tongue with car hydraulic jack and pull it out. I can lift the move few over by few feet tongue of my car trailer (one mentioned above), pretty sure that the tire trailer is much lighter.

Having said that - it always seemed like the pain the ass option - they don't tow well and you need to add hitch receiver to the car (that you're trying to make light). I went for truck / trailer option - makes life so much easier, especially if car breaks or gets damaged.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1. If those are normal sized trailer bearings, they'd be fine and I would not worry about them at all, especially with such a light load. I opened the bearing on my car trailer after 5k miles before longish tow to Lincoln, NE (open car trailer, weighs 2000 lb alone) - grease in the bearing was pristine. Still red colored.

2. Lift the tongue with car hydraulic jack and pull it out. I can lift the move few over by few feet tongue of my car trailer (one mentioned above), pretty sure that the tire trailer is much lighter.

Having said that - it always seemed like the pain the ass option - they don't tow well and you need to add hitch receiver to the car (that you're trying to make light). I went for truck / trailer option - makes life so much easier, especially if car breaks or gets damaged.
2. Maybe I should have specified...it's not a car-sized side gate. It's a walking side gate. The gate opening is maybe 3 ft wide. There is no wheeling the trailer out on it's own wheels, hence why I said stand it upright on a floor dolly.

Looks like I will be in a position to get a truck in the next year, so that will be my path forward as well.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Thanks @Ewheels !! I was debating going a tire trailer route myself, seems like you helped me save some money šŸ˜„
Later models come with Honda Civic wheel bearings; much better. I already asked if it was possible to convert my trailer - they said no.
Well that sucks, especially given the price of these trailers.
Looks like I will be in a position to get a truck in the next year, so that will be my path forward as well.
Where do you plan to store full size trailer and mustang?

My hakooks RS-4's made it through 10 track days (40 sessions) and over 6k road miles. they still have enough thread left for road use and perhaps one more track weekend (too many heat cycles otherwise). They are not very fast tires, but I can drive on them to track, spend weekend and come back with no issues. Makes life so much easier)))

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well that sucks, especially given the price of these trailers.
Granted, I did get mine for an absurdly good deal but still wish it was possible to upgrade.

Where do you plan to store full size trailer and mustang?
I'll probably use U-Haul car trailers for awhile. Plenty of people go this route.

My hakooks RS-4's made it through 10 track days (40 sessions) and over 6k road miles. they still have enough thread left for road use and perhaps one more track weekend (too many heat cycles otherwise). They are not very fast tires, but I can drive on them to track, spend weekend and come back with no issues. Makes life so much easier)))
That method is great but as I'm starting to do more time attack events than HPDE, slow "learner" tires are no longer desired. I got my current set of Toyo RR's for graduating into NASA TT and while at first I thought they were a great tire, their complete lack of pace is driving me nuts and leaving me wanted something faster.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Years ago I installed a "hidden hitch" on my Mustang GT. It was lightweight, the receiver was just a short, wide opening, and the hitch itself was a flat bar of steel fitted to go into the receiver and was retained by a normal hitch pin. With the hitch removed, the receiver was one about 1/2 inch in height and almost invisible. I think the receiver and hitch were only rated for 1,000 #, but that was plenty for my needs. I think Hidden Hitch company is still in business but no longer offers the hidden type of hitch for Mustangs like they used to. It's a shame!

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Truck/Trailer is always the better option. You never know when youā€™ll break something or need to make adjustments etc. having tools/air compressor/generator etc all handy makes sure you donā€™t take a wasted trip to the track, especially if the track isnā€™t local.

that being said, I love the heck out of my aluminum intech trailer

46C9B82E-7425-4FEA-A22A-EAB08AB56703.jpeg

CEC8592C-FAEF-498A-9B5C-F13F37938D73.jpeg

1D0352A1-2E56-4747-9A87-3C46DA19685E.jpeg
Sponsored