Monarch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Micheal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Hello.

I purchased my first Ford Mustang about a week ago, a 2021 Ford Mustang GT. It's got the 10-Speed Automatic, the 301A Package with the Drive Modes, and the Black Appearance Package. It does not have Active Exhaust or Magnaride Suspension.

What I'm wondering is if it would've been better to wait and try to get one with the Performance package. I'm planning on adding my own aftermarket modifications over time, but I wanted to know if it would have been better to get the Performance Package.

This being my first actual Muscle Car and my first time looking to modify a vehicle(Later on, of course.), I want to learn as much as possible to build a reliable list of modifications I want to make to the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Monarch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Micheal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
No. It's a rip off now. Especially if you're modding anyway.
My worry is that I won't be able to do certain things that come with the Performance Package, like the stiffer Chassis, K-Brace, Stability Control, ABS, and EPAS Tuning, and things like that.

I can easily get a larger radiator, new brakes, and a larger sway bar.

And the Oil/Vaccum gauge I'm pretty sure is something you can find inside the infotainment, so I don't need those extra gauges.

OP
OP

Monarch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Micheal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I think it depends on what you want to do with the car. I skipped the active exhaust and magna ride. Mine is just a cruiser. To each their own.
I don't really want the Magnaride or Active Exhaust because I want to do my own Cold-Air intake and an H-Pipe Cat-Back with Long-Tube Headers. I also want to do Coilovers. So Magnaride and Active Exhaust are a waste for me.

As I mentioned, I'm worried about the stiffer Chassis Tuning, K-Brace, Stability Control, ABS, and EPAS Tuning, and things like that.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My worry is that I won't be able to do certain things that come with the Performance Package, like the stiffer Chassis, K-Brace, Stability Control, ABS, and EPAS Tuning, and things like that.

I can easily get a larger radiator, new brakes, and a larger sway bar.

And the Oil/Vaccum gauge I'm pretty sure is something you can find inside the infotainment, so I don't need those extra gauges.
I put the entire PP bracing kit on my car, it wasn't hard at all and was about $300 in parts. Yeah, you can't get the stability control and abs adjustments and stuff like that, but I'm not convinced any of that really matters. The only big loss not having the PP is the lack of Torsen. Trak Lok works fine but I've heard of people wearing them out by 50k miles with a lot of hard driving.

Also PP is the only way to get the oil gauge, if you care about that. The vac gauge is mirrored in the gauge cluster data menu. PP used to be a great value, but now it's $6000 and you get lesser tires than before out of the deal.

OP
OP

Monarch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Micheal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I put the entire PP bracing kit on my car, it wasn't hard at all and was about $300 in parts. Yeah, you can't get the stability control and abs adjustments and stuff like that, but I'm not convinced any of that really matters. The only big loss not having the PP is the lack of Torsen. Trak Lok works fine but I've heard of people wearing them out by 50k miles with a lot of hard driving.

Also PP is the only way to get the oil gauge, if you care about that. The vac gauge is mirrored in the gauge cluster data menu. PP used to be a great value, but now it's $6000 and you get lesser tires than before out of the deal.
But assuming that I'm replacing pretty much all of the Suspension, Intake/Exhaust, Brakes, Brake Lines, and adding my own Chassis tuning with my own bars and struts, what use is the PP?

Maybe the TORSEN Diff, but couldn't I just put my own Differential?

As for the Oil and Vac Gauges, I don't think I'll be needing them. And if I do, I can probably get other aftermarket gauges.

Sham_POW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Active exhaust is definitely not a waste, especially if like me you occasionally have to start the car around 6am and you try to be a good neighbor.

The PP package used to be a bargain, but now it's definitely arguable. Especially if you can do most of your own labor.

Magneride is great if you're interested in more of a dual-purpose car. Normal mode is very comfortable on the street, and it's quite capable in track or drag mode, just maybe not as capable as coilovers. But the coilovers may be less comfortable, if you care about that.

OP
OP

Monarch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Micheal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Active exhaust is definitely not a waste, especially if like me you occasionally have to start the car around 6am and you try to be a good neighbor.

The PP package used to be a bargain, but now it's definitely arguable. Especially if you can do most of your own labor.

Magneride is great if you're interested in more of a dual-purpose car. Normal mode is very comfortable on the street, and it's quite capable in track or drag mode, just maybe not as capable as coilovers. But the coilovers may be less comfortable, if you care about that.
Not really needing comfort. But yeah, mine doesn't have Active Exhaust or the Magnaride.

But since I want to change the exhaust, I feel like Active-Exhaust would have been useless.

I already have my GT. It's just a 5.0 with the Black Appearance Pack, Automatic Transmission, and the 301A package with the Steering and Drive Modes. It's got nothing else past that.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But assuming that I'm replacing pretty much all of the Suspension, Intake/Exhaust, Brakes, Brake Lines, and adding my own Chassis tuning with my own bars and struts, what use is the PP?

Maybe the TORSEN Diff, but couldn't I just put my own Differential?

As for the Oil and Vac Gauges, I don't think I'll be needing them. And if I do, I can probably get other aftermarket gauges.
There isn't any use, lol. Not only that, but you already own the car. You'd lose more money trading to a PP car than you would have to spend to modify everything your own way.

Sponsored

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter

Hello.

I purchased my first Ford Mustang about a week ago, a 2021 Ford Mustang GT. It's got the 10-Speed Automatic, the 301A Package with the Drive Modes, and the Black Appearance Package. It does not have Active Exhaust or Magnaride Suspension.

What I'm wondering is if it would've been better to wait and try to get one with the Performance package. I'm planning on adding my own aftermarket modifications over time, but I wanted to know if it would have been better to get the Performance Package.

This being my first actual Muscle Car and my first time looking to modify a vehicle(Later on, of course.), I want to learn as much as possible to build a reliable list of modifications I want to make to the car.
Couple lessons learned on my part. Had the PP on my 2016 Premium.
If you reside in a seasonal climate be prepared to buy another set of wheels and winter tires (+$1500-$2000).
Staggered wheels mean don't get a flat. Carrying two different 19" tires ain't gonna happen. Thus the Ford supplied air compressor. Flats suck - always.
Unless you track the car the larger radiator isn't necessary.
The PP Brembos are excellent no complain there.
The two dash gauges are OK although the vacuum gauge should be replaced with something more relevant.
The PZeros on the 16 seemed fine. Lots of people don't like them I thought they performed at expectations.
The "tuned suspension" can be replicated - see Steeda, AM or CJ.
My 2019 Premium has the blackout package and active exhaust. I did the suspension
for under $2000. Yes the sneakers need replacement but that can wait until the stock Pirellis wear out. It handles very well given the twisties here in northern Jersey.
So, price everything out, consider how you plan to use the car and tweak things as appropriate.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hello.

Congrats on the new car! You already own it so there's not much to contemplate, correct? Or are you thinking of getting into something else already?

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
if you are the type that buys and drives highway and byways only, then I feel the PP1 is a great option. If you are the type of person that mods your car to your liking both in appearance and performance then it is not necessary because you are going to change it anyway. However if your pony is going to receive some hard driving a large % of the time the go with the PP1. I have a PP1 and started using it for track duties. It proved to be a very good platform in all the right areas to start fitting the car for what I wanted it to do. So it all depends on what you want the car to do or become. That is what makes a Mustang such a great car. It is a great car for what ever you want it to be or become.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
PP1 is well worth it just for the 6 piston Brembos and the Torsen. I tracked mine stock to baseline it before I started making it into a dedicated track car and the thing was very good on track, even with the heavy stock wheels and junk Pirelli tires it was quite driveable with no ugly habits. If you just wanted a car to do a few laps now and then the thing would be totally fine. Firmer ride on the street but not objectionable, at least to me.

OP
OP

Monarch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Micheal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Congrats on the new car! You already own it so there's not much to contemplate, correct? Or are you thinking of getting into something else already?
I'm not looking to replace it so soon. More along the lines of wanting to learn more.

From what everyone's said, I was better off without the PP since I'm modifying it, anyways.

The only major loss is the TORSEN Differential and maybe the ABS/EPAS tunings.

Part of me considers keeping the car stock and then later trading it in for a Manual Transmission with the PP. But I'm not too sure. While Manual Transmissions are definitely fun, but I prefer the Automatic since it's quicker than I am to shift. So there's plenty to consider before I really settle on doing anything
Sponsored