Installing LT headers tips

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
buddy of mine is going to install LT's on his 2021 10spd, I think he got Texas Speed catless. i offered to help him out since he doesnt have the tools. never done this, ive done shorties on an SN95 car but not much on an S550, and i imagine it's a bit different between the two chassis and these being LTs.

i saw something about having to lift the trans? is this always necessary? any other useful advice of things to expect to run into? i was hoping to have it done in a day, i wont be free till about 11 am saturday and we're hoping to finish it saturday. is this likely? my skill lever is intermediate-ive pulled my own engine in my SN, stuff like that, etc, but I am by no means a pro-his skill level is unknown.
Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
You should be able to download install instructions. After reading the install instructions for mine, I decided to get an exhaust shop to do it. I'm more than capable of doing it but it's a 6-8 hour install for pros. Actually took the shop 9 hours to do mine but at least they did a great job and nothing is touching. I remember reading you have to remove a few things and jack the motor up a bit if I recall correctly.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've installed headers in many vehicles, including such utter bastards as an FE-equipped '60s Mustang.

That said, installing headers in these cars looks like a great way to create new swear words.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've installed headers in many vehicles, including such utter bastards as an FE-equipped '60s Mustang.

That said, installing headers in these cars looks like a great way to create new swear words.
I hear you brother. I got to have double the fun too by doing it twice on my car, after discovering fitment issues on the first set. In all actuality, it wasn’t that bad. That makes for three LTH installs on Coyotes for me now.

Sponsored

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I'm an ASE certified tech and the header install on my 17 took roughly 12 hours with no lunch break. I've read if you remove the battery tray and support it makes the passenger side a little bit easier. But make no mistake this is a hell of a job and it's a monster. Some studs will also have to be removed and replaced with shorter ones or bolts depending on fit. The passenger side is the most difficult due to the a/c comp, starter and battery tray. The driver side I was able to get sockets on most of the and zip the nuts off with power tools.
If you decide to do it yourself be careful I actually broke an a/c line and had to order it from Ford.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
hmmm. this is making me re-think whether i want to try to get this done in a day. if it's not done saturday, not sure when we'd get back to it again next. thanks for all the input so far!! definitely helpful.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
12 hours is more than enough time to get it done. I think you’ll be fine (should be back on the road in no time).

Mr Hyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Short answer pay a shop. The ac lines on the 18 and up aren't like the lines on the 15-17 and are far more rigid. A shop that knows these will get it done right the first time. Trying to do this on the ground with hand tools and jacks is a sure fire way to learn how to out swear a drunken sailor.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
The passenger side is the biggest pain in the ass I've ever had to endure, took me 8-10 hours on that with the AC lines in the way. Problem there is that from the top of the engine bay, you can only get to maybe 2 or 3 of them because the AC line runs right along it, and the bottom is where you have to do all the rest, and my ratchet only got like 1 or 2 clicks per, so that's what, 12-15 degrees? Plenty of turning and time to reconsider what you're doing with your life.

As you try to get more space, you will need to remove the motor mount from the side, as well as the starter, and either lift from the bottom to push the engine up to help clear those AC lines. You might be just as good with a cherry picker and pulling up just the same, perhaps even better since you'll not have to finagle around the jack stand being right next to you. Good news is that the driver side is super easy, I musta done that in like 45 minutes.

If you can afford it, remove the A/C line, but you'll have to get some fancy HVAC person to help there as it's R1234-yf, some super expensive gas if they're not holding it for you. With those lines out of the way, it'd be a breeze, and I wonder if shops are probably doing that to save plenty of their own labor hour charges.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
To do this install, one just needs to adopt the attitude that: “Thy can and will be done, on my car, just as it has been done on others’ cars.“ The end result will be a healthy and killer sounding Mustang which will bring a smile to anyone’s face.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I can’t speak from experience from doing this myself as I paid a highly reputable shop to do my LTH install. The shop mentioned “dropping the entire front end” to have ample room to work. Took him 6 hours with 0 fitment issues. Hearing that I knew I made the right choice to not do it myself.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Unless your making 15$ an hour. I recommend just paying a shop to do the work.:bandit:

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I hear you brother. I got to have double the fun too by doing it twice on my car, after discovering fitment issues on the first set. In all actuality, it wasn’t that bad. That makes for three LTH installs on Coyotes for me now.
Which LTH had fitment issues?

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Which LTH had fitment issues?
2M are known to have issues. And I've seen a few people with the stainless powers having to dimple tubes occasionally. But other than that haven't seen too many brands with issues.
Sponsored