I HATE the roads in Maryland.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I was on my way home from golf yesterday talking to a forum member on the hands free, and hit a pothole on 702 as it is going over a bridge so there are expansion joints. When I hit it, it was so loud that the guy I was talking to commented and questioned whether I had hit something, I told him yeah, a pothole and he said "DAAAAMN!!" I took the car to a local automated car wash and they lined me up on the mechanism looking right at it and said nothing, then the guys drying the car asked if I wanted tire dressing and I said yes. The HAD to see this, and they still said nothing. This is the 3rd one in 3 years. KMC no longer makes these rims. The first time it happened I had to buy a set of 4 because the store knew that KMC didn't make them any more. I have 2 brand new back ones with a shallower dish than the two on the car, but too deep to use on the front. I see that American Muscle has a VERY similar set that I could get, but I would like to go down to a 19 inch or 18 inch rim so that I had a little more sidewall to protect the rims, but I can't find one that look similar for less than $400 a rim, and that's just SIMILAR not the same. Ugh....

20240324_120841.jpg

20240324_120039.jpg

20240324_120838.jpg
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Dang, that is pretty crazy.
Can you put the OEM rims on for the time being while you hunt down an aftermarket set?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
There are a couple of places near me that repair damaged rims. Have you looked into that option?

Sponsored

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
Biggest issue with low profile tires, there's not enough rubber to take the shock out from a sharp-edge impact on a pothole or similar.

In some jurisdictions you can go after the municipality/county/state/whatever for damage caused by lack of road maintenance, maybe look into getting them to pay for the repairs to your rim?

Trout1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So I was on my way home from golf yesterday talking to a forum member on the hands free, and hit a pothole on 702 as it is going over a bridge so there are expansion joints. When I hit it, it was so loud that the guy I was talking to commented and questioned whether I had hit something, I told him yeah, a pothole and he said "DAAAAMN!!" I took the car to a local automated car wash and they lined me up on the mechanism looking right at it and said nothing, then the guys drying the car asked if I wanted tire dressing and I said yes. The HAD to see this, and they still said nothing. This is the 3rd one in 3 years. KMC no longer makes these rims. The first time it happened I had to buy a set of 4 because the store knew that KMC didn't make them any more. I have 2 brand new back ones with a shallower dish than the two on the car, but too deep to use on the front. I see that American Muscle has a VERY similar set that I could get, but I would like to go down to a 19 inch or 18 inch rim so that I had a little more sidewall to protect the rims, but I can't find one that look similar for less than $400 a rim, and that's just SIMILAR not the same. Ugh....

20240324_120841.jpg

20240324_120039.jpg

20240324_120838.jpg

20240324_120841.jpg

20240324_120039.jpg

20240324_120838.jpg

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am running a set of PP1 wheels with a 255/40/19 on the front right now and the difference in ride quality is noticeable(in a good way). I priced out a set of Forgedlite rims in a 19 inch and they are $4900 shipped. After paying all the money for the built engine, fuel system and clutch, I am a little tapped out in the "money for the car" department...

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Owch. Better check your fillings too while you're at it-must have been a good smack.

Trout1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I am running a set of PP1 wheels with a 255/40/19 on the front right now and the difference in ride quality is noticeable(in a good way). I priced out a set of Forgedlite rims in a 19 inch and they are $4900 shipped. After paying all the money for the built engine, fuel system and clutch, I am a little tapped out in the "money for the car" department...

Trout1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Absolutely better ride, Iā€™m also running 255/40 in front and 285/40 in the rear.
Iā€™m also lowered with Steeda progressive springs, gotta say I think it actually rides better than stock.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I bet your OEM PP1 wheels wouldnā€™t even be fazed by that road separation. Sorry for the crappy luck.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Man that sucks. Weā€™ve got some real car eaters here in Chicagoland as well.

If you want to go 19ā€ and donā€™t want the heavy PP1 wheels, check out SVE or Project 6GR. Both have 5 spoke options if thatā€™s what you like, theyā€™re lighter than stock and theyā€™re not very expensive. 19x10 you can run 275/40 all the way around no problem (PP1 rear stock size tires btw)
Sponsored