Hpp vs regular

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Get the PP, bigger IC and your ready for the track burn through $2K in fuel, tires and brakes having fun instead of wrenching haha.
Good luck with that plan, because it's pure fantasy.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Just to have the RS motor DNA in a comfortable package is an emotional plus haha.
WTF is this even supposed to mean?

For the record, the real heritage of this engine is based on the millions of Mazda grocery-getters that have used it for the last couple decades. Mazda Duratec=Ford Ecotech, and both were made in the same plant in Spain. If Ford has brought production of HPP engines to the US for 2021, then it's abandoned a 2020 marketing talking point of "made in Valencia."

By all means, appreciate the car for what it is. I do. But there's no need to act as if it's some rare and special treat. It's really just a minor tweak.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
My God, you're hilarious.

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP/HP 6MT, 03 Boxster S, 97 M3
WTF is this even supposed to mean?

For the record, the real heritage of this engine is based on the millions of Mazda grocery-getters that have used it for the last couple decades. Mazda Duratec=Ford Ecotech, and both were made in the same plant in Spain. If Ford has brought production of HPP engines to the US for 2021, then it's abandoned a 2020 marketing talking point of "made in Valencia."

By all means, appreciate the car for what it is. I do. But there's no need to act as if it's some rare and special treat. It's really just a minor tweak.
According to the Ford Tech Specs 2021 the HPP engine is still made in Valencia. The tech specs also say the HPP get the 19X9 forged wheels. I also believe that we needed to get the handling package to get the Torsen in 2020. The 2020 tech specs had a few errors, might still have a few for 2021.
I can say that the whole package (HPP/HP) is is pretty good but if you want to do a lot of mods a base ecoboost is a better start due to lower cost.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I can’t find the article again, but I read that the RS engine is actually a different block with enhanced cooling over the normal 2.3. This is what causes head gasket issues when people start mixing up parts. A bunch of RS’s were built with the mustang gaskets leading to recalls. If I find it again I’ll post it. I already ordered my HPP with handling package.

Sponsored

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I can’t find the article again, but I read that the RS engine is actually a different block with enhanced cooling over the normal 2.3. This is what causes head gasket issues when people start mixing up parts. A bunch of RS’s were built with the mustang gaskets leading to recalls. If I find it again I’ll post it. I already ordered my HPP with handling package.
The one time I checked the actual part numbers at the dealer in 2020 for the HPP versus standard ecoboost I could not find a difference. There must be a difference between them due to the compression difference and it is probably the head gasket. Since the RS motors had a problem with the standard ecoboost gasket. The factory service manual has a different engine part number.
HPPRegular
LR3E- 6007-AALR3E- 6007-CA

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
The one time I checked the actual part numbers at the dealer in 2020 for the HPP versus standard ecoboost I could not find a difference. There must be a difference between them due to the compression difference and it is probably the head gasket. Since the RS motors had a problem with the standard ecoboost gasket. The factory service manual has a different engine part number.
HPPRegular
LR3E- 6007-AALR3E- 6007-CA
I think I found it. This isn’t what I first read, and is by no means conclusive, but here is a link.

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I missed the forged wheel part and happen to love the wheels so that's huge plus.
The forged are for the regular HPP. Handling package gets the cast 19x9.5 which weigh 29 pounds each.

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
What's the weight of the forged? That's what I ordered for vert.
Not as light as one would think. What I remember from some internet forum is about 25-26 pounds each. They will be very strong but not as light as aftermarket rolled rims. My TSW 19X9.5 averaged 22 lbs each. Other lightweight 18X9 rims weigh as low as 18-19 lbs. I would not really trust my TSWs for long term track duty, bouncing off of curbs but I would trust the Ford forged for that. I use the light wheels for autocross and the OEM for track. That all said I think they are the best looking stock rims and I wish they came in 9.5/40 width/ offset.

Last edited:

steve0s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP 2.3 Mustang
The forged are for the regular HPP. Handling package gets the cast 19x9.5 which weigh 29 pounds each.
MY 2020 HPP with handling package came with the hyper dark 19x9.5's wheels and weighed in at 33lbs each. I now run the RTR Tech7 19x9.5 and they weighed in at 27lbs each.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
My 2020 HPP with
My 2020

MY 2020 HPP with handling package came with the hyper dark 19x9.5's wheels and weighed in at 33lbs each. I now run the RTR Tech7 19x9.5 and they weighed in at 27lbs each.
I weighed my wheels at 59 pounds each and the Pirellis are supposed to weigh 27 each so, yes 32-33 is a more accurate weight. My TSW Interlagos weighed 21.5 (2) and 22.5(2) so I average them at 22. So a seven pound reduction for the forged wheels looks pretty good.

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Just looking at the Ford 2021 and 2022 pdf spec and there is no reference to HPP forged wheels other than a stand alone option. Doesn't matter really....
The forged are 9 inch wide can only be an option with HPP or regular. Handling package cars get 9.5 inch wide, no options.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
ford 'forged' rims barely rate a second look.

The HPP is just the MY19 $2500 "EB performance pack" of yore with a couple detail changes. Instead of the EB/GT black bumper lip and non-functional undertray it has the GT/PP1 lip and undertray (about $300 value). It has Active Exhaust thrown into the price and a slightly larger turbo.

It continues with the '19 EB/PP larger radiator, Torsen diff, beefier roll-bars, GT/PP1 spec dampers, and twin gauge pack. All in it's about $4000 worth (if that) of content sold for $6000 - ignoring any engine changes that Ford refuses to get pinned down on.

And yes it still pulls like ass with factory jetting. Aftermarket tune required to make power properly.

Last edited:

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
"ignoring any engine changes that Ford refuses to get pinned down on"

Radiator and turbocharger, are the only 2 performance changes I know about... and maybe some tuning? Not sure where that extra hp comes?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
"ignoring any engine changes that Ford refuses to get pinned down on"

Radiator and turbocharger, are the only 2 performance changes I know about... and maybe some tuning? Not sure where that extra hp comes?
That's his point. The HPP engine tuning is something similar to the Ford Performance tune for the standard Eco, but very vague in the literature. I dyno'd my car stock. The engine mapping is embarrassingly bad. I mean real garbage. They just pump raw fuel through the car for whatever reason. Ryan Martin tunes my car and before he added any boost or timing, he just cleaned up the base map so it wasn't crazy rich at WOT. That change alone made for a much better car. I can tell the difference between a map from Ryan and the stock map just listening to the idle. Ryan's tuning is smoother *everywhere* and the tailpipe doesn't look like you're burning Kingsford.
Sponsored