Sponsored

How safe is it being supercharged?

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Agree with some of the posts above, if this car is on DD duty, I would save up some on the side just in case.

Stuff happens. Things break for no reason even on a completely stock vehicle (I see it daily). Bottom line, I wouldn't do a S/C unless you have the means to repair it if something happens so that your DD doesn't stay down for a while. Additionally, I would also have a backup vehicle just in case so said scenario doesn't interfere with your transportation or require you to impose upon others until you can sort it out.

That being said, I had no fears about taking this car on Rocky Mountain Race Week where there are no trailers, no support personnel and making passes hundreds of miles away from home at 640 rear wheel HP.

Car has never missed a beat, and I completely trust it at this point. 3 years of really nothing but 1/4 mile pulls, and just pure fun. Best mod ever for me has been the Whipple.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If I were to go FI on my daily or any coyote, I would open up the ring gaps. Pain in the ass to get to but peace of mind. I like to hot lap.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Saving up might not be the answer for a DD if it is required to live (work, groceries, etc). I've had a block on order for months now. A backup up built engine or other car is probably better. I've done race car DD before and it is easy for me now that I can afford toys and a dd now; but it made life difficult when crap broke in the past. Anything other than as designed will introduce more risk for failure. And I believe you are looking for what is the probability of failure if you do mod x,y, or z so you can make an assessment of risk. The reality is none of the aftermarket stuff has a big enough data set to determine that with as much certainty as OEM does. I am around 900 wheel now, with block on order expecting it the stock motor to break (well and I really want to turn the boost up and maybe a little spray on top). There are people making more than me, but I am planning on it breaking rather than the other way around. I did not buy my car for the warranty, I bought for pleasure and driving fast. Not the answer you were seeking and I have become my grandfather.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Good rule of thumb when going FI is have enough money on hand to replace the motor. Enjoy yourself.

OP
OP

01gt46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Saving up might not be the answer for a DD if it is required to live (work, groceries, etc). I've had a block on order for months now. A backup up built engine or other car is probably better. I've done race car DD before and it is easy for me now that I can afford toys and a dd now; but it made life difficult when crap broke in the past. Anything other than as designed will introduce more risk for failure. And I believe you are looking for what is the probability of failure if you do mod x,y, or z so you can make an assessment of risk. The reality is none of the aftermarket stuff has a big enough data set to determine that with as much certainty as OEM does. I am around 900 wheel now, with block on order expecting it the stock motor to break (well and I really want to turn the boost up and maybe a little spray on top). There are people making more than me, but I am planning on it breaking rather than the other way around. I did not buy my car for the warranty, I bought for pleasure and driving fast. Not the answer you were seeking and I have become my grandfather.
Thanks. All good info. I believe I’m just going to keep the car as is for now. What I’ve learned is it’s pretty much a crap shoot. Some get lucky and done don’t. I don’t think I’ll be one of the lucky ones. A little while back I got an NA E85 tune, ran it for a while and it ran strong. One time I went to reflash it and it fried my PCM. I know in a lot of cases it’s the users fault. Luckily in my case it wasn’t and the tuner reimbursed me for all the expenses. It was pretty frustrating having my car down for a couple weeks. Although I'm very fortunate that the tuner was stand up, it also lets me know that my luck might not be as good as others.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Thanks. All good info. I believe I’m just going to keep the car as is for now. What I’ve learned is it’s pretty much a crap shoot. Some get lucky and done don’t. I don’t think I’ll be one of the lucky ones. A little while back I got an NA E85 tune, ran it for a while and it ran strong. One time I went to reflash it and it fried my PCM. I know in a lot of cases it’s the users fault. Luckily in my case it wasn’t and the tuner reimbursed me for all the expenses. It was pretty frustrating having my car down for a couple weeks. Although I'm very fortunate that the tuner was stand up, it also lets me know that my luck might not be as good as others.
I think you're making the right choice. It's a crap shoot, don't roll the dice unless you're wealthy enough to replace the engine or trans (or whatever breaks) and have another DD so your Mustang can sit if need be. In this day and age, equipment lead times will be even longer than usual, adding to the heartache if something breaks.

Or, if you want a reliable and relatively high hp car, buy a GT500, ZL1, or Hellcat if you want a warrantied supercharged car, and keep it stock. They are all more than fast enough for most people, and will be plenty for the street for most people.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I’m planning on pulling the trigger on a stage 2 whipple (with whipple tune) & boundary OPG & CS tomorrow for my 2020 GT PP1. I know there’s a risk anytime you modify a car but it seems I keep reading about motor failures and seeing YouTube videos about all these people blowing their motors after adding boost.

How common is it?
You're good, these motors love boost. Just make sure you upgrade your oil pump gears and sprocket. We actually have a couple 2018+ Stage 2 kits in stock and ready to ship here at www.lethalperformance.com.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
To tell someone "you're good these motors love boost" is irresponsible.

If playing with Supercharger or Turbos on a car that didn't come with them its always a risk. If it goes bad a VERY expensive risk. my 2 cents

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT

If playing with Supercharger or Turbos on a car that didn't come with them its always a risk. If it goes bad a VERY expensive risk. my 2 cents

It’s really not that serious. Coyotes are very robust out of the box and ready for boost. 10 psi is the perfect amount for a street car on pump gas

Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Mine is a 2019 and it's been boosted since June with the whipple stg 2 and whipple tune. I daily mine and beat on her hard since I drive a lot of back roads and 5k miles later no issues. A good tune, good gas and not bouncing off the Rev limiter will keep it going strong and healthy.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt

These motors love boost

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have little doubt a 10 psi or less supercharger build will keep your Coyote reliable and durable. Run some octane booster just to be safe. I've been using Boostane plus my local 93 octane for the past 4,000 miles with -0- issues on boost.

No special fuel supply in the way of Boost a Pump, etc., is needed on the Gen3's at this level and you'll have enough HP to beat 99% of the cars on the road.

A 10 psi Coyote will easily outrun a Hellcat with lots of room to spare as a for instance.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
In all reality, if your not boosted no reason to comment since you don't have the experience of being boosted. 🤔
Sponsored