Sponsored

How safe is it being supercharged?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If you’re worried about safety then go ahead and order a reisch 170 thermostat, 5w40 or 50 oil, and the 4” pulley. That’s about all you can do without going into the tune.

I’ve looked at tunes from the gt, gt500, edelbrock, Whipple, and roush, plus some independent tuner work. Everything I’ve seen from the aftermarket sacrifices safety vs stock. The closest I’ve seen to an oem-level tune from a non-oem is roush, but it seems to underpredict cat temps and melts cats as a result.

If you wanted to take another step to ensure reliability, the tune would need work. And I don’t mean from big-name independent tuners, either, but someone who would take the time to go through the entire tune and put stock-style limits and fail-safes back in.

Auto or manual transmission?

Where in louisiana are you?

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I blew my engine after just 3 months with only street driving. Bad gas.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I modified my Gen 2 5.0 with a Roush blower, 12 psi, LTH's, etc. etc. and it put down 611 rwhp on a conservative tune from Brenspeed. Car was rock solid, the only issue I ever had with it was that it stalled out at a stop sign from me jumping in it and driving away without it warming up at all.

'Safe' is a relative term, everyone knows it is a gamble but I think if you use some common sense you'll be just fine. When you do something like this you have to be hyperfocused on ensuring the car maintains good oil pressure, fuel pressure, receives maintenance early or on time at least, etc.

Best of luck, it is incredibly fun.

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1 Hellion TT
I’m planning on pulling the trigger on a stage 2 whipple (with whipple tune) & boundary OPG & CS tomorrow for my 2020 GT PP1. I know there’s a risk anytime you modify a car but it seems I keep reading about motor failures and seeing YouTube videos about all these people blowing their motors after adding boost.

How common is it?

Before you take your Car in to get the power adder installed, I suggest you get the compression and leak down documented. I took mine in with 20k on the motor and picked it up with a miss on 7 and 8. Ford checked and the cylinders were showing down 20% compression. Not sure what happened. Not documenting prior to install is the only thing I regret.

OP
OP

01gt46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If you’re worried about safety then go ahead and order a reisch 170 thermostat, 5w40 or 50 oil, and the 4” pulley. That’s about all you can do without going into the tune.

I’ve looked at tunes from the gt, gt500, edelbrock, Whipple, and roush, plus some independent tuner work. Everything I’ve seen from the aftermarket sacrifices safety vs stock. The closest I’ve seen to an oem-level tune from a non-oem is roush, but it seems to underpredict cat temps and melts cats as a result.

If you wanted to take another step to ensure reliability, the tune would need work. And I don’t mean from big-name independent tuners, either, but someone who would take the time to go through the entire tune and put stock-style limits and fail-safes back in.

Auto or manual transmission?

Where in louisiana are you?
I’m in Covington. Yeah I was thinking to run the Whipple tube for a while then have Daryle Wengerd tune it. But now I seem to be talking myself out of it because I know they rabbit hole (money pit) I’ll ho down once I put a supercharger on. It’ll lead to axles, driveshaft, drag pack wheels and tires, fuel system, etc.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless your tuner turned off the protections I find that hard to believe.
I couldn't care less what you believe. Lund was my tuner and insurance covered the new engine due to traces of water in the gas.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Lund was my tuner and insurance covered the new engine due to traces of water in the gas.
Had you said up front you had water in your gas we wouldn't have to speculate.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
lightly bang your fist into a wall for 30 sec.
Now .... really pound it .... you wont last 30 sec. - Unless you upgrade the fist first.
sure you get the analogy. you can do anything .. for a while.
Your engine will be taking a beating beyond what it was designed for. How long it lasts depends on the weakest link. Its gotta be your judgement alone.

Its a hobby/sport, and the marketplace is there to take your $ to participate in any way you like. In any sport, eg. you break a ski, parachute rips, etc ..... gotta pay to play. Afraid of the financial consequences - dont participate.
Sponsored