Sponsored

Help with dealership oil change advice

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Hi Friends,

Yesterday I took my car to a dealership for an oil change. This place got rid of their oil change "quick lube" bay and said they would allow me to drive onto a 4 point lift hoist. However when I drove up on it I was aligned perfectly to drive on but this one particular hoist the mechanic was giving me the thumbs up to drive on as being ok. However it had a jack in the middle like a "T" meant for heavier vehicles.
It was the heavy duty hoist. I didn't even notice the jack and as instructed by the mechanic's instructions I proceeded to drive onto this lift. As I drove up the lift midway I heard a slight scrape sound coming from under the car and I knew something was wrong, so I immediate reversed off the ramp.The mechanic didn't hear the scrape and was still waving me to drive forward but I knew something was wrong and instantly backed off. The mechanic then allowed me to drive on the the hoist next to it that did not have a floating jack in the middle which should of been the lift I should of been instructed to use in the first place. The car drove up smoothly on it with no issues.

When I asked the mechanic why he didn't direct me to that one in the first place, the mechanic then said to me he thought it looked like my car could clear the first hoist with the jack and that it should of cleared but he didn't realize the underside of my car is lower than the front bumper, which he was concerned about more as it appeared in his eyes to look ok. He even said he lowered the floating jack to the lowest level to make clearance of my front bumper. However as evident the underside did not clear the jack on the lowest level when I drove over it.

When I inspected the underside of the car on the other hoist after the oil change, I noticed there is just a small scrape which is small in nature, under the body rail next to he catalytic converter under the car. This is only evident on the right passenger side. It looks like some of the primer was scraped off with about an inch of metal exposing which I now need to primer. Thank goodness its just the underside of the car. My question is who is at fault for this error? I trusted in good faith he was directing me to drive up onto a clear ramp and he directed me to to drive on a ramp that had this jack lift right in the middle which ultimately caused this scrape. This is why I hate going to get oil changes and get service done to the car as there is always an issue. I'm paranoid enough of these types of things. Imagine it wasn't me who drove up the hoist and it was someone else or the mechanic. They would of kept on going and not cared or heard heard the scrape.
Can't someone get service done to a car without damage or tool marks damaging the car? This dealership was being nice by allowing me to drive up the ramp myself as I told them I was concerned and even still look what happens. However due to negligence of instruction by the mechanic I was told to drive up a ramp that was not meant to be driven on. This is why I always ask you guys for advice on the best dealerships etc. I just find every time it gets serviced there is always an issue. Any advice guys?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Rule # 47,806 for NEVER take the car to the dealer for routine maintenance. However, to the current issue - re-prime it and move on. You'll spend more time hassling with the dealer than it's worth. Find a shop you trust and take it to them from now on (or DIY). My preference is DIY. It's faster, cheaper and you know who did the work.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
For simple maintenance items like oil changes and tire rotations I do them myself to know it’s done right and without any damage. Just prime it if it bothers you. No one will ever see it and move on with your life.

The last oil change I had a dealership do which was about 7 years ago I found a nice long scratch on the drivers side rear quarter. I don’t let anyone touch my car unless I absolutely have to.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
This is why many of us learn to do as much maintenance as we can and buy the tools (and service manual) to do it. Even the price of a lift looks good when we figure $100+/hour for service *and* then taking it back (or doing it ourselves anyway) to fix what they messed up.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'm going to give my dealer a chance to service my car as it seems they have a pretty good rep & they sell alot of Mustangs. If they piss me off then that's it though I'm gone for good.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Rule # 47,806 for NEVER take the car to the dealer for routine maintenance. However, to the current issue - re-prime it and move on. You'll spend more time hassling with the dealer than it's worth. Find a shop you trust and take it to them from now on (or DIY). My preference is DIY. It's faster, cheaper and you know who did the work.
No sense of beating this into the ground. I agree with Mike 100% Do it yourself and be done with it. problem solved.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm going to give my dealer a chance to service my car as it seems they have a pretty good rep & they sell alot of Mustangs. If they piss me off then that's it though I'm gone for good.
That works fine for people like you who have a time machine.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
My dealer has been servicing my Mustangs since 2007 with zero problems.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
I wish I can dyi. However I dont have a hoist. Are there places I can go to hoist for a few and allow me to work on it? One would think the dealer would do a nice job without causing a problem?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Steeda or BMR jacking rails, 4 aluminum jack stands from Harbor Freight, and a Snap-On rip off jack (Daytona) from Harbor Freight. Never let a dealer do another oil change again on any of your cars.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
First-world, WHITE PEOPLE problems.....

Go to your nearest Harbor Freight at buy:

1. A creeper
2. low-profile jack
3. 2 jackstands
4. 3/8", metric socket set
5. 3/8" ratchet
6. drain pan
7. pack of shop rags

Unless you are disabled, you should be doing your oil changes yourself. Otherwise rinse the sand out of your clit and move on...

Last edited:

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
I don’t think that’s something judges are going to see at a car show. But if it bothers you that much go get a lawyer.