Sponsored

Has anyone removed a CFTP wing mount yet?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow. I am the latest victim of the crap deck lid work. My (dealership) body shop removed the wing and holy crap.....

They are finding all kinds of problems with the paint/body. Panel misalignments, paint chips associated with assembly, clear coat defects.

If you have a CFTP, you might want to have a look.

I mean WTF Ford....... You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

thumbnail.jpg

under right deck lid wing mount.jpg

above left deck lid wing mount.jpg

above right deck lid wing mount.jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That is absolutely atrocious "workmanship".

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I would not use a full body gasket and would stick with the o-ring design. That said, Ford's methodology in drilling the decklid post-paint is a failure. The execution is shoddy at best. CFTP/R models should have their own decklid with holes drilled prior to paint.

Ford, get your shit together.

toothdkdr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
david
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R oxford white
I would not use a full body gasket and would stick with the o-ring design. That said, Ford's methodology in drilling the decklid post-paint is a failure. The execution is shoddy at best. CFTP/R models should have their own decklid with holes drilled prior to paint.

Ford, get your shit together.
That is why when I get my wing from MPR I am going to have the shop drill the holes before painting the deck lid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That is why when I get my wing from MPR I am going to have the shop drill the holes before painting the deck lid.
And let the paint cure for 30 Days before reinstalling.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I couldn't imagine painting it and then drilling it and laid out how I did it a couple times now. The fact that Ford does it this way is unacceptable and am happy to see this be exposed. Jim Owens, if you actually ever see any of this, it is time to pick up the phone and do the right thing. Dip into that margin and start doing this the proper way.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't imagine painting it and then drilling it and laid out how I did it a couple times now. The fact that Ford does it this way is unacceptable and am happy to see this be exposed. Jim Owens, if you actually ever see any of this, it is time to pick up the phone and do the right thing. Dip into that margin and start doing this the proper way.
I should text him these photos. As a matter of fact, I will sit down and write a long letter explaining how dicked up this whole process has been from inception to delivery.

I CCd him on an email with FP when my car was sitting in the rail yard for two weeks with no orders to ship my car. After the problem was solved (thank you, you know who you are), 'ol Jimbo finally replied in blurb that wasn't even a coherent sentence.

This car has been one insult after another. And then they dump a piece of crap in my lap.

Last edited:

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Wow, i mean even done post paint, It could have been done to a much higher standard. I mean drilling or stamping before paint is the correct way but still you can do this after the paint and make it look 100x better. Template the holes, fresh clean bit and hole, deburr/chamfer, paint or rust proof, maybe even a rubber grommet in the hole, plus a pad base under the wing mounts.....

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Exactly, and I think I am going to see if I can get a rubber grommet in the hole so that the bolt doesnt rub up against the metal or something. I cant believe thr shoddy work.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tob: Would you mind elaborating on your o-ring vs. a solid gasket reasoning? I was thinking about using some leftover Xpel film rather than an eighth inch sheet of rubber.

John: Many thanks, my friend..that was fast! :cool:

For those interested, let's see if the new forum software will accept .EPS files...

Nope, nothing's changed in that department so...for those who want to import a vector drawing of the gaskets, here are two files with .TXT extensions but are really .EPS files. Download and rename to *.EPS and that should do it.

For anyone who only wants a scaled drawing, there's also a PDF.

Attachments

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Mighty sorry about the discovery, Tom and obviously, I agree with everyone else. At least I know ahead of time how bad it may be on mine. Damn sad, really and I sure hope Tob's suggestion to Mr. Owens gets through. Saving pennies, no doubt.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Due to the size of the bracket footprint, the o-ring is really a good way to go about it. That's assuming the bracket isn't over-tightened such that the o-ring is completely smashed to the point of offering no real cushion for the assembly and the bracket rides directly on the paint. A flat gasket might be apt to squish out over time after considering it further.

The bracket seems a well thought out solution, but the mounting thereof lacks a little finesse.....
Sponsored

Last edited: