Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Obviously some people don't understand that many of us buy R models at MSRP and we are very appreciative for it and in my case 920A base models as I really like the AC and radio delete cars.

When it comes down to driving a Track Pack car and an R model on the track back to back both of which I have done the experience is very noticeable. I love my Track Pack car but my R model takes it to another level at least for me.

Trust me the difference is more than just wheels and tires.

Not only is the overall weight of the R model noticeably lighter than a Track Pack car (especially on my base 920A model) but the chassis settings for the front/rear camber and caster on an R model generally is more aggressive than a Track Pack car along with stiffer front springs and shorter arms on the rear anti sway bar for the R model.

I don't under estimate a modified Track Pack cars capabilities but if a person can buy an R model at very little more than a Track Pack car it is a no brainer IMO.

;)
This is where you are wrong.
The rear sway bars are NOT shorter. I know this because I have all 3 sway bars. The difference is the non R bars are .875 diameter to the R .937 diameter. I know what it says in the supplement but it's wrong. Trust me.

My point is and you both don't get this is, if one is going to track a car seriously it is not worth the money to spend on a R. Doesn't matter if you get the R at MSRP or not. And a lot of guys don't even track their car with the carbon wheels let alone street drive them.
My forgelines are only 1 to 1.5 pound heavier then a R carbon wheel.
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
So you're telling me a track pack with same tires or better tires, light wheels, modified alignment, and equal weight won't run neck to neck with an R? Or even possibly beat it?

And when $20k or less is spend on a track pack that it can't out run a R by 2-4 seconds? Same track same day same driver?
A set of forgelines with track tires, remove all the rubber bushings add bearings, add better sway bars, GT350R springs, alignment, remove about 120-150 pounds from the car by the wheels, rear seat delete, Braille battery, etc. Yeah it'll beat a R. Do the same suspension mods to the R and yeah the cars are near equal. But the track pack is still less money.
You can take a GTPP, bolt lighter and wider wheels with slicks on it, a supercharger, coilovers and a wing for far less money than a GT350TP and turn a faster lap than an R. But who cares?

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
You can take a GTPP, bolt lighter and wider wheels with slicks on it, a supercharger, coilovers and a wing for far less money than a GT350TP and turn a faster lap than an R. But who cares?
Not me. You just added a blower to it.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Not me. You just added a blower to it.
Take the $ for the blower and make 425-450whp from intake and exhaust work, but gut the interior and put racing seats in, said GTPP on slicks will still be faster than an R on track. Still.. who cares?

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Take the $ for the blower and make 425-450whp from intake and exhaust work, but gut the interior and put racing seats in, said GTPP on slicks will still be faster than an R on track. Still.. who cares?
Yeah who cares?
Obviously you.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This is where you are wrong.
The rear sway bars are NOT shorter. I know this because I have all 3 sway bars. The difference is the non R bars are .875 diameter to the R .937 diameter. I know what it says in the supplement but it's wrong. Trust me.

My point is and you both don't get this is, if one is going to track a car seriously it is not worth the money to spend on a R. Doesn't matter if you get the R at MSRP or not. And a lot of guys don't even track their car with the carbon wheels let alone street drive them.
My forgelines are only 1 to 1.5 pound heavier then a R carbon wheel.
...this is what you thinkg and you believe that WE're the ones that don't "get this"? sigh. Enjoy your car that's faster than an R and that you paid less money for. I'm going to bed so I can dream like you do. night.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
....PS, all this is a moot point for me, really. I haven't even tracked my car. Have you?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Better yet buy a used C6Z06 or ZR1 and......I was just curious about same wheels and tires performance. Things have spiraled.

kf3i8.jpg
Answer is - obviously, yes - lightweight wheels and sticky tires are always a significant upgrade for track-bound cars. ;) There.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Better yet buy a used C6Z06 or ZR1 and......I was just curious about same wheels and tires performance. Things have spiraled.

kf3i8.jpg
Op asked about the GT350 VS GT350R.
I just gave an honest opinion.

Sponsored

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I can sum this up-

Those with R's want to be in a special elitist R club and don't want to admit that a GT350 is pretty damn close to the R in performance with a few mods. At car shows, you hold your nose up to those GT350 guys who think they are as good as you or could be. That red badge means you are the king. :lol::lol:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Yeah who cares?
Obviously you.
Your argument (assuming you own a GT350TP) is that your purchase is much better than an R because you can make your car faster than an R for less money. My argument is thats a pointless argument when you can take a lower model mustang to be even faster for less money.

Overall it's a pointless argument. You can always make a less expensive car faster for less money than a special edition car, but it will never be that special edition. If performance per dollar is what you're looking for, mod a cheaper car. If you want all of the thought and engineering already done for you and you want a special edition car, pony up the $.

I hate it when people have to put down others to justify their purchase. Everyone is looking for something different and have different needs. Can't we all appreciate that they're all great cars?

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
^^^ and I would take that one step further and say, can you build your powerful GT and make it faster AND more reliable than a GT350? I would take a lightly modded, close to factory spec track focused manufacturer car over a Frankenstein any day of the week. I've owned heavily modified cars and they always need fiddling with. It's not apples to apples.

As for the R vs non R, I haven't driven either but I would expect the difference to be greater than "the sum of its parts". Meaning it's more than just lighter wheels and better tyres. There are often many intangibles that make a pinnacle car far better than the one below it.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I can sum this up-

Those with R's want to be in a special elitist R club and don't want to admit that a GT350 is pretty damn close to the R in performance with a few mods. At car shows, you hold your nose up to those GT350 guys who think they are as good as you or could be. That red badge means you are the king. :lol::lol:
And there it is - an inferiority complex and the need for purchase confirmation where it's not required and the reason for most of these r vs non-r threads. Sad.

Do you ever see a thread started by an R owner, trying to fluff up the R and talking down to non-r owners? Cmon.
Sponsored