Regit

2017 Ford GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (White/Blue Stripes)
The R will retain its value better, so there is always that. If you were getting both at MSRP id go with the R.
I'm not sure about this, but you might be right. The issue is if you have an "R" you paid a lot over sticker. Will the premium you paid over MSRP remain, especially as ford continues to roll out cars like the GT500 and who knows what else over the next 5 years. History says it won't. The last GT500 prices are sliding as we speak.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I totally get that... but those 2 seconds are realized in the hands of a professional driver, not you and me. I'd guess the average guy would have an issue seeing any difference.
I think you'd be surprised at what you'd learn at just a few HPDEs - it's not going to take a pro to realize better lap times in an R...some experience and a little instruction, yes...but a pro, not really.

Keep in mind the nannies - they kick in when they measure certain conditions like wheelspin + yaw + steering angle... You might not get into those conditions if you had an R (or even stickier tires) so it's easy to see how even a intermediate driver could see some speed improvements.

That said - most people aren't going to extract the max out of the existing PSS tires - so why bother getting the SC2s?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm not sure about this, but you might be right. The issue is if you have an "R" you paid a lot over sticker. Will the premium you paid over MSRP remain, especially as ford continues to roll out cars like the GT500 and who knows what else over the next 5 years. History says it won't. The last GT500 prices are sliding as we speak.
False.

I guess my main question would be - why are you worried about it? Take your car to the track and enjoy it instead of concerning yourself with not having bought an R or how close your car can be to an R. I don't really get these threads.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
If you're wanting to have a street / track car get a R.
If you're wanting to have a track only car, get a 2016 track pack / 2017-18 base gt350 and do what I did. It'll smoke any R by seconds, and even if the R is equally modified like mine, the cars will be equal and the non R for a lot less money.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I don't agree that you'd smoke a car by seconds and I don't agree that you'd have less money invested at that point. I do agree that your car would be worth less due to depreciation.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
I don't agree that you'd smoke a car by seconds and I don't agree that you'd have less money invested at that point. I do agree that your car would be worth less due to depreciation.
My point is if you were to take a track pack and a R and make them into a track car with both having the same mods the track pack is less money.
If they both have the same mods they are nearly equal.
A track pack stickers less than 60k
A R stickers for $67k
Not counting ADM on either cars.
Good luck finding a R at sticker.
If I paid $64k for my car with adm and if I could get a new R for $88k that's $24000.00 worth of mods I could do to a track pack and whip the R at the same price range.
It's already been proven that a lightly modified track pack has out tracked a R by 2-4 seconds. Look it up as some members have already done so on this very forum.
I'm not concerned what a cars resale value is. That's subjective. Anything is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller willing to sell. You yourself already said before you have taken make losses selling your cars.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I really don't think its so black and white , 2 secs here . exactly , based on who's watch ...

Ford said they're now designing their cars as a 'system', I think there's a more than just the CF wheels.

Magic dust ? Who knows. I guess the question is, if you've driven an R (which I'm sure just feels different than the standard car) are you trying replicate the feel of the drive/ownership experience or the track times , which is it you'd desire more ?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
My point is if you were to take a track pack and a R and make them into a track car with both having the same mods the track pack is less money.
If they both have the same mods they are nearly equal.
A track pack stickers less than 60k
A R stickers for $67k
Not counting ADM on either cars.
Good luck finding a R at sticker.
If I paid $64k for my car with adm and if I could get a new R for $88k that's $24000.00 worth of mods I could do to a track pack and whip the R at the same price range.
It's already been proven that a lightly modified track pack has out tracked a R by 2-4 seconds. Look it up as some members have already done so on this very forum.
I'm not concerned what a cars resale value is. That's subjective. Anything is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller willing to sell. You yourself already said before you have taken make losses selling your cars.
That's a lot of assumptions and non-qualified data there. While it's not the norm, plenty of people pay no to low ADMs on Rs - I'm one of them. A lightly modded track pack vs an R and 2-4 seconds? That's an eternity of time difference. Is it 2 or is it 4? What track? Same driver?

This is what I meant about "these" threads. Usually they are just fluff up for people who didn't buy an R; about how close to an R their car performs. It doesn't make sense. You can throw a ton of money at most cars and get a good lap time. "If you paid this, if you modded that" - well, that's a ton of variables. ADMs aside, the R is an incredible value and to say you can spend the difference on a track pack and outrun an R by 2-4 seconds really seems like a stretch. I DO suggest that would make an interesting video for the MT guys... "Make a Track Pack perform like an R for $X" - and prove it with Pobst at the wheel of both cars.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
That's a lot of assumptions and non-qualified data there. While it's not the norm, plenty of people pay no to low ADMs on Rs - I'm one of them. A lightly modded track pack vs an R and 2-4 seconds? That's an eternity of time difference. Is it 2 or is it 4? What track? Same driver?

This is what I meant about "these" threads. Usually they are just fluff up for people who didn't buy an R; about how close to an R their car performs. It doesn't make sense. You can throw a ton of money at most cars and get a good lap time. "If you paid this, if you modded that" - well, that's a ton of variables. ADMs aside, the R is an incredible value and to say you can spend the difference on a track pack and outrun an R by 2-4 seconds really seems like a stretch. I DO suggest that would make an interesting video for the MT guys... "Make a Track Pack perform like an R for $X" - and prove it with Pobst at the wheel of both cars.
So you're telling me a track pack with same tires or better tires, light wheels, modified alignment, and equal weight won't run neck to neck with an R? Or even possibly beat it?

And when $20k or less is spend on a track pack that it can't out run a R by 2-4 seconds? Same track same day same driver?
A set of forgelines with track tires, remove all the rubber bushings add bearings, add better sway bars, GT350R springs, alignment, remove about 120-150 pounds from the car by the wheels, rear seat delete, Braille battery, etc. Yeah it'll beat a R. Do the same suspension mods to the R and yeah the cars are near equal. But the track pack is still less money.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm saying that you don't know that - but if it makes you feel good then....

So you've already got at least 8k in wheels and tires...and you're at about what many people pay for Rs. Alignment is required on either car so no additional benefit there. Adding $20k after that will put you WELL over R price and I'd HOPE it would be faster. Good luck with that.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.

So you've already got at least 8k in wheels and tires...and you're at about what many people pay for Rs. Alignment is required on either car so no additional benefit there. Adding $20k after that will put you WELL over R price and I'd HOPE it would be faster. Good luck with that.
I don't have 8k in wheels and tires. I have $6k.
You may of bought a R at MSRP or near it but in my area they are still selling for 90K plus. My dealer just sold an all black r 2017 for 93k. Nuts I know but it's still happening.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I understand - but it "is" variable. You say "IF" someone paid ADM - I say "IF" they didn't. "IF" someone over pays by enough, I could make a case for a Honda Accord being the better performance bargain. ;)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Obviously some people don't understand that many of us buy R models at MSRP and we are very appreciative for it and in my case 920A base models as I really like the AC and radio delete cars.

When it comes down to driving a Track Pack car and an R model on the track back to back both of which I have done the experience is very noticeable. I love my Track Pack car but my R model takes it to another level at least for me.

Trust me the difference is more than just wheels and tires.

Not only is the overall weight of the R model noticeably lighter than a Track Pack car (especially on my base 920A model) but the chassis settings for the front/rear camber and caster on an R model generally is more aggressive than a Track Pack car along with stiffer front springs and shorter arms on the rear anti sway bar for the R model.

I don't under estimate a modified Track Pack cars capabilities but if a person can buy an R model at very little more than a Track Pack car it is a no brainer IMO.

;)

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Look more people pay adm for any GT350/R.
Not many are that lucky.
Sponsored