Sponsored

GT vs GT350, Thoughts?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Well then please do bless the rest of us with your vast knowledge! We all want to know how to make a boosted stock bottom end Coyote last a 20 minute track session!

Most of us already know the answer. It involves a conservative tune, possibly a larger pully and at least PP1 cooling. Bonus if you can run E85. I still would not run a blown car if I was going to regularly track the car, no matter how Coyote illiterate you think I am.
Nobody was asking you what you would do with a Mustang. OP was considering a boosted GT or a GT350 and I gave him an answer. You started on some nonsense which sounded like you don't know what you're talking about or you don't know how to properly build a car. Now either you know how to build it properly and reliably for your purposes or you don't. If you don't know then I understand why you wouldn't trust it. If you do, then your statement made no sense whatsoever and you were just talking to be talking. So it goes back to me reply to you. If you know how to build it properly then that would not be an issue. Figure the rest out for yourself and go somewhere.

OP, regardless of what type of racing you do you can build a boosted GT to be reliable on the track and street. I would not hesitate to do so if that is what you wish to do. The good thing about the GT is the low buy-in cost means you can pick it up for a good price and then upgrade here and there until you're satisfied. And there are a lot of really good vendors and shops and tuners that know their stuff with these cars. You'll be fine if you choose to grab the boosted GT.
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I hate to say it but acceleration performance is a moot point now. Nothing you will do to a GT or a GT350 will make it quicker than the performance oriented electrics. There are a few guys who have modded the new GT500 to run in the 9s...slightly quicker than what a Model S runs in stock trim. It’s depressing.

Id also drop the obsession with power since front engine 2wd cars are power limited. How many guys driving Hellcats get embarrassed by lesser performance cars? There’s just so much you can do with two contact patches on the light end of the car. A 800 hp blown Mustang GT will require all of your attention to be devoted to managing traction. Not saying that this isnt fun but it overshadows and compromises the rest of the driving experience.

The thing that makes gas powered performance cars so much fun is the way they make us feel. They’re living, breahting beasts. Electrics can never touch that. So between the boosted GT or a GT350, which one makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up? Which one makes the best use of the wonderful qualities of a V8 hot rod? Which one would make you smile the most?

I have to guess that the GT350 is going to win. By design, it takes everything that’s wonderful about an internal combustion engine and celebrates it.

You’ll have fun either way. Keep us posted.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
OP, regardless of what type of racing you do you can build a boosted GT to be reliable on the track and street.
This isn't about me, the OP is asking for opinions, I gave one. I don't think a blown Coyote is something that will be reliable for repeated/frequent extended track sessions. I listed things that would help, but it's still not something I would do. You've still provided nothing of any substance, so why don't you tell us all how to make a blown stock bottom end Coyote reliable for road course use. We'd love to hear it. If this is a direction you are suggesting the OP take, it would be nice to give him some supporting info no?

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
Just something from Roush Performance website. They feel good about the Roush RS3 on Track, which is boosted to 710hp.

"ROUSH Stage 3 unleashes the true potential of the Mustang. The Stage 3 starts with Ford's powerful 5.0L V8 engine and adds a ROUSH Phase 1 Supercharger to produce an unprecedented 710 horsepower and 610 lb-ft of torque, which gives the ROUSH Stage 3 more power to handle the competition on or off the track. The available 3-way adjustable coilover suspension system custom tuned by Jack Roush Jr. produces supreme corner-carving ability.

To match the ROUSH ultra high performance engine, the Stage 3 comes equipped with custom ROUSH-designed wheels wrapped in Continental ExtremeContact™ Sport tires, tested to the limits by championship race car drivers. This performance combination enables 1.07g on the skid-pad"

And the Warranty.

"At ROUSH Performance, it's not enough to deliver heart-pounding performance, unparalleled refinement, and race-inspired styling. We take a step further and back-up the 2019 ROUSH Stage 3 Mustang with an industry-leading 5-year, 60,000-mile powertrain warranty to show you that we are with you on this ride.
Our vehicles are rigorously engineered and tested to prevent issues down the road, but should they occur, you can rest assured in knowing that we're here to help."
So Roush feel pretty good about the Coyote and it's boosted reliable.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This isn't about me, the OP is asking for opinions, I gave one. I don't think a blown Coyote is something that will be reliable for repeated/frequent extended track sessions. I listed things that would help, but it's still not something I would do. You've still provided nothing of any substance, so why don't you tell us all how to make a blown stock bottom end Coyote reliable for road course use. We'd love to hear it. If this is a direction you are suggesting the OP take, it would be nice to give him some supporting info no?
No this is about you trying to prove something. You are the only person on here who is confused. Not one other person is questioning this besides you. Look at the comment below yours from Stanger1. If you knew anything, then you'd know that the Mustang engine is very versatile and durable and the Mustang itself is one of the most aftermarket friendly cars ever. There is literally an aftermarket that supports anything you want to build out of this car properly. Your concerns are because you don't know what you're talking about. Under boost or NA that engine will be completely fine on a track. If you want to know something then start your own thread and ask people for advice.

Just something from Roush Performance website. They feel good about the Roush RS3 on Track, which is boosted to 710hp.

"ROUSH Stage 3 unleashes the true potential of the Mustang. The Stage 3 starts with Ford's powerful 5.0L V8 engine and adds a ROUSH Phase 1 Supercharger to produce an unprecedented 710 horsepower and 610 lb-ft of torque, which gives the ROUSH Stage 3 more power to handle the competition on or off the track. The available 3-way adjustable coilover suspension system custom tuned by Jack Roush Jr. produces supreme corner-carving ability.

To match the ROUSH ultra high performance engine, the Stage 3 comes equipped with custom ROUSH-designed wheels wrapped in Continental ExtremeContact™ Sport tires, tested to the limits by championship race car drivers. This performance combination enables 1.07g on the skid-pad"

And the Warranty.

"At ROUSH Performance, it's not enough to deliver heart-pounding performance, unparalleled refinement, and race-inspired styling. We take a step further and back-up the 2019 ROUSH Stage 3 Mustang with an industry-leading 5-year, 60,000-mile powertrain warranty to show you that we are with you on this ride.
Our vehicles are rigorously engineered and tested to prevent issues down the road, but should they occur, you can rest assured in knowing that we're here to help."
So Roush feel pretty good about the Coyote and it's boosted reliable.
Exactly. And the new ones have 750HP, 670 TQ, and offer the same 5 year warranty and are built for the track. You can even sign up to take their racing class where they use RS3 Mustangs. They've been doing this for years now.

Sponsored

19GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2015 4C, 2019 Ducati, 2008 FJ
Vehicle Showcase
50 Thousand miles these days are not a big deal. That was a thing in the 80s and 90s. Engines now are built much better. And the oils and stuff we use in them also have come a long way. Of course try to find one with as little miles as possible. But I would not pass up a killer deal on a nice Stang if it had high miles.
I had an 86’ LX 5.0 with 170k+ miles that I beat the loving hell out of. I wouldn’t worry about 50k+ on a newer V8 mustang...unless you’re not able to verify that it was maintained properly.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You could buy a used GT350 for less than buying a GT and modifying it to make it handle better. The cost to turn a GT into a GT350 suspension-wise would be very costly!
True. But for the street, when is enough really enough? I could honestly never fully appreciate the capability of a GT350. Just not enough interesting roads with less traffic. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want one though. Realistically, it would be probably annoying in metro areas. I think I’d suffer through it for a weekend car though. ;-)

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True. But for the street, when is enough really enough? I could honestly never fully appreciate the capability of a GT350. Just not enough interesting roads with less traffic. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want one though. Realistically, it would be probably annoying in metro areas. I think I’d suffer through it for a weekend car though. ;-)
What makes you believe this? If anything it would be an extremely thrilling ride every day of the week that also gets attention. It will make your commute 30 times better than it is. Even a simple procedure such as switching lanes on the highway at 80 MPH will be exciting. Don't talk it down. These cars are built to run to extremes on the track and be a lot of fun on the street. You'll love every minute of it.

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
Appreciate all the feedback and ideas. Currently leaning 350 as it will not be a daily driver, just need to get comfortable with a price point in the low 40s instead of low 30s

Tellme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
After owning 26 mustangs, I’ve made some fun mistakes that were costly but fun . Wise of you to ask these experts with experience here . I supercharged my 96 cobra; fun and fast , But no faster at Buttonwillow as my brakes we’re not up to the end of straightaway speed and my tires were not up to hooking up coming out of a turn when it went into boost. Then I cracked 6 piston rings And had to install a new engine and did not put the supercharger back on. A limited production highly engineered Shelby GT 350 is super fast in acceleration breaking and handling. Done by Ford Performance with their engineers and their budget . From better brakes, transmission wheels etc. A modified mustang may not have been built to take what you put on it without it stressing or breaking. Then there is the resale . if you purchase a low mile gt350. ,in five years from now the way it is holding value it may not cost you anything to own . Your GT, because it is a mass production vehicle , it will depreciate like other GT‘s and worse because it is modified. I’ve been driving free mustangs for many years now. Can I suggest a 17-16 GT350R?? I just ad octane booster to 98-100 octane and up my 525 HP by 25 for just a few dollars and it doesn’t void my warranty.
A clean decent mileage fifth gen GT is holding up quite well in the used car market at about 15-20k. I'm also seeing 15-17 GTs well above 20k and 30k+ for 2018s. Now compare that to similarly equipped camaros and challengers and the Mustang holds ups very well. Compare it to something like and m4 that has lost over half its value in the same time. I suspect the latest s550 GTs will hold up even better as time goes on.

Sponsored

Tellme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Appreciate all the feedback and ideas. Currently leaning 350 as it will not be a daily driver, just need to get comfortable with a price point in the low 40s instead of low 30s
My only concern with the GT350 is the engine. Except for the late model 2020s they ALL burn oil between oil changes. Now we all know engine burn some oil between changes but the voodoo is excessive to the point where Ford even states in their manual that this is to be expected.

I predict in with some years and higher mileage that these voodoo engines will start to need rebuilds as regular maintenance. Reminds me of the e92m3 needing rod bearings as a maintenance item every 60-100k. Meanwhile the Coyote won't suffer the same fate.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I have no desire for a boosted car. Excluding that, the MT-82 vs TR-3160 pushes me to 350 (or Mach 1).

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
My only concern with the GT350 is the engine. Except for the late model 2020s they ALL burn oil between oil changes. Now we all know engine burn some oil between changes but the voodoo is excessive to the point where Ford even states in their manual that this is to be expected.

I predict in with some years and higher mileage that these voodoo engines will start to need rebuilds as regular maintenance. Reminds me of the e92m3 needing rod bearings as a maintenance item every 60-100k. Meanwhile the Coyote won't suffer the same fate.
With this in mind, curious about your guys thoughts on this:

Currently looking at a 2016 GT350 with the tech package. Has aftermarket long tubes, resonator delete, and cold air intake. It has 44k miles which seems high to me, but the buyer says it has a transferrable powertrain warranty to 7 years or 140k miles. How much risk does that warranty eliminate if any?

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
With this in mind, curious about your guys thoughts on this:

Currently looking at a 2016 GT350 with the tech package. Has aftermarket long tubes, resonator delete, and cold air intake. It has 44k miles which seems high to me, but the buyer says it has a transferrable powertrain warranty to 7 years or 140k miles. How much risk does that warranty eliminate if any?
Personally I wouldn't consider a 2016 unless it was a Track Package car. Probably going to be an obnoxious exhaust with aftermarket headers and res delete and a 8-10 hour labor charge to swap that out. Hard Pass.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It has 44k miles which seems high to me
heh, an owner who actually drove the car! That is indeed rare. At least it's past the engine's infant mortality problems. What kind of price? It needs to be low/mid-30's. If you're going to do HPDE/track days you'll need to add diff cooler and replace the suspension. I would not buy unless it passes emissions unless this is a dedicated track car. And even then you'll want to validate it won't get thrown out for noise violations both on the street and track.
Sponsored