GT vs GT350, Thoughts?

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
Weighing buying a modified 15-17 GT w/PP vs a 16 or 17 GT350, what are the important considerations?

If I go the GT route, I'm considering buying one already boosted

Aside from the $$ difference, what are the thoughts?
Thinking about reliability, depreciation/resell value, fun factor when driving... etc.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
In short you basically trade reliability for depreciation/resell value/fun factor when driving and everything. (reliability may go down a little but everything else will go up)

Unless you really appreciate having a high revving NA engine I would not bother with a GT350

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
In short you basically trade reliability for depreciation/resell value/fun factor when driving and everything. (reliability may go down a little but everything else will go up)

Unless you really appreciate having a high revving NA engine I would not bother with a GT350
Making sure I understand this properly: GT350 depreciates less and maintains a higher resell value, correct?

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
Making sure I understand this properly: GT350 depreciates less and maintains a higher resell value, correct?
Modified cars basically lose all the money you put into the mods. A car that is stock is worth more and is going to be more reliable. Plus, the likelihood of abuse of a modded car is much higher. The GT350 is a better stock platform if that’s what you’re concerned about.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
To answer your question. A boosted GT will have way more HP and will be a very fast car. They will last long as long as they are tuned and maintained properly. You can always mod the suspension so it will handle better. A GT350 has the awesome looks, better interior, more unique, retains more of it's value, handles much better, and you'll have one of the highest models. It will lack all out acceleration compared to a boosted GT. But it is still very fast. You can upgrade it for more power whether NA or with boost. But it might be fast enough as it is. Both ways are a win. If you want to race then get the boosted GT. If you want some decent performance with more appeal then get the shelby.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
To answer your question. A boosted GT will have way more HP and will be a very fast car. They will last long as long as they are tuned and maintained properly. You can always mod the suspension so it will handle better. A GT350 has the awesome looks, better interior, more unique, retains more of it's value, handles much better, and you'll have one of the highest models. It will lack all out acceleration compared to a boosted GT. But it is still very fast. You can upgrade it for more power whether NA or with boost. But it might be fast enough as it is. Both ways are a win. If you want to race then get the boosted GT. If you want some decent performance with more appeal then get the shelby.
Makes a lot of sense, thank you. Out of curiosity, how much mileage do you typically consider too much when looking at used mustangs? I have been using 50k as a rule of thumb but honestly don't have much backing behind that. I know it really depends on how it has been cared for etc. but is often hard to tell.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Makes a lot of sense, thank you. Out of curiosity, how much mileage do you typically consider too much when looking at used mustangs? I have been using 50k as a rule of thumb but honestly don't have much backing behind that. I know it really depends on how it has been cared for etc. but is often hard to tell.
I would say that it depends on your budget. I wouldn't be worried if it was at 100k miles. But that is if the engine is stock.

I don't really know know much about forced induction and engine tuning so I would shy away from high mileage boosted Mustangs unless you plan on rebuilding the engine.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Used shelby for sure but get a warranty. Very expensive parts, especially the engine, and they have had 1 or 2 fail. Unless you're planning on modding the car then get a used 15 on budget and go to town.

Btw, anything boosted will not have a warranty on the powertrain...

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
50 Thousand miles these days are not a big deal. That was a thing in the 80s and 90s. Engines now are built much better. And the oils and stuff we use in them also have come a long way. Of course try to find one with as little miles as possible. But I would not pass up a killer deal on a nice Stang if it had high miles.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

True.

In my opinion, the GT350 needs 4.09 gears (or even 4.56) to really work well as a street car. That was my overwhelming impression upon driving one. As a track car they're probably fine stock.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
True.

In my opinion, the GT350 needs 4.09 gears (or even 4.56) to really work well as a street car. That was my overwhelming impression upon driving one. As a track car they're probably fine stock.
Interesting. Are owners swapping out the gears?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I believe a few have. It would have been the first thing I did if I had bought one.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
A Shelby will always have the VIN that shows that it is a Shelby, where as a GT, even a Roush, will just show it as a Mustang GT.
With that said, I used to have a 2013 Shelby GT500 and while I liked the car, the buying of parts was crazy. Almost everything was double the price.
And if you blew the engine in that car, the rebuild was 3 times the price.
That said, I now have a 2017 Roush RS3, VMP tuned and love this car.
So the GT350 will always be worth more than a Mustang GT, but that's the resale side. If your keeping the car, don't worry about selling, enjoy the ride.
Boosted Coyotes, if tuned correctly, are very reliable and fast.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A Shelby will always have the VIN that shows that it is a Shelby, where as a GT, even a Roush, will just show it as a Mustang GT.
With that said, I used to have a 2013 Shelby GT500 and while I liked the car, the buying of parts was crazy. Almost everything was double the price.
And if you blew the engine in that car, the rebuild was 3 times the price.

That said, I now have a 2017 Roush RS3, VMP tuned and love this car.
So the GT350 will always be worth more than a Mustang GT, but that's the resale side. If your keeping the car, don't worry about selling, enjoy the ride.
Boosted Coyotes, if tuned correctly, are very reliable and fast.
Agreed.

The Shelby Tax was one of several reasons I finally parted with my '07 GT500. I had hopped mine up and the prospect of popping the engine spooked me a bit after reading some horror stories. It made no sense why the cost to rebuild it was so ridiculously high.

I want to buy a '22 GT500, but I'll be damned if the same thoughts aren't running through my head. I'd intend for it to be a keeper this time, and the costs of hard parts replacement plus far more electronic things to go wrong when it's 5+ years old are daunting....
Sponsored