Sponsored

GT350/GT vs Focus

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Who's driven the focus RS and the GT350? I'm in need of a manual DD and I'm leaning toward the RS over the golf r...is the handling really better than a gt350 on back roads? Will I feel disappointed jumping out if a 350 into an RS?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I will be interested to hear what people say. I'd like an RS, but I'm afraid the ride will be too uncomfortable (firm) for me. I think the GT350 ride is just about perfect. I'd like a smaller car than the Mustang, but I also don't really like the ergonomics of the Focuses (Foci?) that I've driven. I'm 6'4" and the Mustang is a much better fit for me.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
The Focus RS is a phenomenal car. It handles like no ones business, id say in the back windy roads, it would take the gt350. But the ride is very bumpy if thats a concern. The gt350 is also more expensive, but they look gorgeous.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Owned both.

Can't really pick one. RS could probably hang on a super technical section.

GT350 rides better/looks better/sounds better.

You can't go wrong with either.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The RS definitely feels faster around town and in tighter turns due to the AWD and trick stuff they do with the braking on inner wheels. First gear also runs out below 40, so to 40 it definitely feels just as fast despite the power deficit.

However the ride is annoying. Car gets into a pogo-frequency with it's suspension too often for my tastes (Michigan Roads). The crackle-pop of the exhaust is hit or miss with some folks too. I liked it.

If the ride was a bit smoother, it'd be perfect. I'm not sure if an aftermarket solution was ever fully developed.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The RS definitely feels faster around town and in tighter turns due to the AWD and trick stuff they do with the braking on inner wheels. First gear also runs out below 40, so to 40 it definitely feels just as fast despite the power deficit.

However the ride is annoying. Car gets into a pogo-frequency with it's suspension too often for my tastes (Michigan Roads). The crackle-pop of the exhaust is hit or miss with some folks too. I liked it.

If the ride was a bit smoother, it'd be perfect. I'm not sure if an aftermarket solution was ever fully developed.
Thanks for the info. I always thought I'd love to have an RS for the power and the AWD powertrain, but I'd want to swap out the suspension to something softer.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I actually was going to purchase the RS as I had a rival car that was competing against the ST and when the RS came to the market it had my eyes for sure. Now, somehow I was exposed to the 5.2L Voodoo Engine and I'm so glad I did because the Mustang lost my interest since the early 2000s. That's a long time. I'll leave the video below for you to enjoy. I truthfully enjoy it and don't mind forking out the cash every month or the gas to drive it. I'll volunteer or will drive the car at night for no apparent reason other than to hear the 5.2L engine.

OP
OP

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Got to drive one briefly yesterday...quicker than the 350 off of the line but in a non violent sort of way. After 40 mph it becomes a Focus. I'd have to give it a slight edge in cornering. However, it feels different...the confidence to point and shoot is on another level...it's100% planted at all times where I feel like the front end on the 350 is a lot lighter and slippery. The ride in normal mode (stiffer than 350 sport mode) is not that bad but I can see it being a pita on a long commute with crap roads. Bottom line is it's going to be my DD by the end of the year! More fun than the 350 but less exciting if that makes sense.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Got to drive one briefly yesterday...quicker than the 350 off of the line but in a non violent sort of way. After 40 mph it becomes a Focus. I'd have to give it a slight edge in cornering. However, it feels different...the confidence to point and shoot is on another level...it's100% planted at all times where I feel like the front end on the 350 is a lot lighter and slippery. The ride in normal mode (stiffer than 350 sport mode) is not that bad but I can see it being a pita on a long commute with crap roads. Bottom line is it's going to be my DD by the end of the year! More fun than the 350 but less exciting if that makes sense.
That's pretty much how I felt as well. It wasn't as big of an event as driving the 350, but for daily duty it was incredibly fun. Just hope you don't encounter the pogo-suspension.

Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the shocks were updated mid-2017 and have much less pogo...I'd also look for a late 2017 or 2018 that didn't need the HG replaced. I went through gallons of coolant in the 9k miles before the FSA(headgasketgate) and even though they replaced the HG and head it ate the turbo and cat 4k miles later. It's an amazing car hands down just make sure you get a good one, a 2018. My mods are in the signature.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
It's hard to say without clear goals or priorities. Stock RS's tend to be 13 sec cars. Does that bother you? You're losing a solid second on ET for an apples to apples comparison between platforms. On the track, the RS can do well in tight groupings but anything with higher speed turns the gt350 will pull ahead. That is it's bread & butter. However, the RS can be had right now for about 1/2 the price. I don't find the gt350 to be any less daily driveable than a GT with springs and exhaust, so I fail to see how it's impractical. However, the focus is going to be more comfortable, and awd is very nice to have in rain & snow. It's also half the price of gt350s in my area (34k vs 70k).

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Even with the new shocks, I doubt the RS will.be "more comfortable". I rode in an early RS and it was nowhere near as comfortable as the GT350, which rides better than my GT.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Even with the new shocks, I doubt the RS will.be "more comfortable". I rode in an early RS and it was nowhere near as comfortable as the GT350, which rides better than my GT.
Is suspension the only thing you consider for comfort? Because I don't consider the two to be exact synonyms. When I state "comfort", I consider things like seating position, storing items, accessibility, etc. If you feel like a low coupe isn't less practical than a hatchback, then those items probably aren't a priority for you. They may be for op, since he's considering an RS versus the GT350 in the first place, a slightly strange comparison otherwise.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I always have felt that the ergonomics of the Focus are poor (for my body type). I'm 6'4" and fit better in the Mustang than most other cars. The Focus seems to be designed for small people.

I have never been comfortable in a Focus - even those setup with relatively soft suspension. And Recaros would not help, either.
Sponsored