Sponsored

Grabber Lime 2020 GT Build Thread

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
I found a little right angle USB adaptor (Amazon) which allowed me to install the CarPlay2Air dongle neatly with a bit of 3M VHB (a GoPro mount lol)

26484-B3-C-156-E-416-D-80-D7-228-C35-BCB6-AF.jpg

Tucked away under the edge of the centre console storage bin:

90-E5-C0-F2-765-B-4937-B7-D6-5870885-CA8-FA.jpg

Works like a charm :

FDCDB82-B-D753-425-B-85-B4-DDF74-A365395.jpg

But I would still plug the phone in with a wire if I was traveling a good distance and using the satnav etc :like:

Finally got around to putting all my old CD's onto this tiny 64GB Lexar drive :

58-BF0-C33-AB8-D-45-F6-9-B5-D-0-A04-C7648813.jpg

Now I can really show my age driving around with my tunes on and the window down ... :cwl:

WD :like:
I need to stop following this thread as it’s costing me a fortune ! On the hunt now for a CPlay2Air dongle etc I didn’t know until today that I needed one of these:facepalm:
Sponsored

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
I need to stop following this thread as it’s costing me a fortune ! On the hunt now for a CPlay2Air dongle etc I didn’t know until today that I needed one of these:facepalm:
just been doing some research on the dongles and they have very bad reviews and lots of people on here have experienced connection issues.

Are there different versions of this and which one did you get as I note you’ve not had any issues ?

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think there are different versions, I think it’s one of two things :

Either the early adopters were used as guinea pigs whilst development was still taking place.

Or a conflict of phone / sync / CarPlay2Air software versions.

Whichever it was, I guess the problems are either ironed out and they are still living with the early views, or I got lucky.

The units can be updated once they are connected to your phone (easy to do) and mine said it needed a update, but it won’t automatically tell you - you need to check it yourself (I can only guess some users forget to do this or don’t even know about it ?)

I read that some issues were caused by your phone already being connected to a WiFi network when the dongle powers up. My phone is still on a weak hone WiFi signal when I start the car but that doesn’t seem to have bothered it.

The only issue I have found (which is now fixed) is that I couldn’t delete wenklaw’s phone from it’s memory following the instructions I found on the net. What the instructions didn’t tell you is that the second phone (i.e. mine) just needed to be out of range otherwise it would auto connect to my phone before making the delete option active for wenklaw’s.

I bought the unit second hand off wenklaw - when I picked up that he had swapped to android, I shot him a pm asking if he was interested in selling the dongle.

I don’t think wenklaw will mind me quoting him when I asked about it :

“It works pretty well to be fair to it although be aware sometimes you do have to disconnect from the USB and reconnect but 9 times out of 10 it's fine and remember it takes 30 - 60 seconds to connect so not for the impatient”

It’s looking like my experience is a little better. It hasn’t glitched once (it’s probably done about 30 connections) and although I haven’t timed it I would guess it connects quicker than quoted - I wonder if the last software update improved both issues ?

If it helps I am on sync 3.4 build 20282 / iPhone X / iOS 14.3 :like:

I’m not linked with this company in anyway, but if I filmed mine working it would make the perfect YouTube advert for them - let’s hope that continues... lol

Hope that helps ?

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
I don’t think there are different versions, I think it’s one of two things :

Either the early adopters were used as guinea pigs whilst development was still taking place.

Or a conflict of phone / sync / CarPlay2Air software versions.

Whichever it was, I guess the problems are either ironed out and they are still living with the early views, or I got lucky.

The units can be updated once they are connected to your phone (easy to do) and mine said it needed a update, but it won’t automatically tell you - you need to check it yourself (I can only guess some users forget to do this or don’t even know about it ?)

I read that some issues were caused by your phone already being connected to a WiFi network when the dongle powers up. My phone is still on a weak hone WiFi signal when I start the car but that doesn’t seem to have bothered it.

The only issue I have found (which is now fixed) is that I couldn’t delete wenklaw’s phone from it’s memory following the instructions I found on the net. What the instructions didn’t tell you is that the second phone (i.e. mine) just needed to be out of range otherwise it would auto connect to my phone before making the delete option active for wenklaw’s.

I bought the unit second hand off wenklaw - when I picked up that he had swapped to android, I shot him a pm asking if he was interested in selling the dongle.

I don’t think wenklaw will mind me quoting him when I asked about it :

“It works pretty well to be fair to it although be aware sometimes you do have to disconnect from the USB and reconnect but 9 times out of 10 it's fine and remember it takes 30 - 60 seconds to connect so not for the impatient”

It’s looking like my experience is a little better. It hasn’t glitched once (it’s probably done about 30 connections) and although I haven’t timed it I would guess it connects quicker than quoted - I wonder if the last software update improved both issues ?

If it helps I am on sync 3.4 build 20282 / iPhone X / iOS 14.3 :like:

I’m not linked with this company in anyway, but if I filmed mine working it would make the perfect YouTube advert for them - let’s hope that continues... lol

Hope that helps ?

Thanks and really help note.
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between the Carlinkit and the CarPlay2Air dongles ?
Looking on eBay there is a big price difference between the two. Ie is the CarPlay2Kit worth the extra money ?

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks and really help note.
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between the Carlinkit and the CarPlay2Air dongles ?
Looking on eBay there is a big price difference between the two. Ie is the CarPlay2Kit worth the extra money ?
To be honest I don't know. I guess they all aim to do a similar job and may even be similar (or the same !) on the inside ?

I guess its one of those 'Pays your money, takes your chances' kind of things ...

Good luck whichever you choose :like:

Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think a few factors affect the reliability of the carplay2air dongle but to be clear generally I had no issues with it. I have very strong WiFi throughout my property and it's boundaries, sometimes I'm pretty sure this could affect the blurletooth to WiFi connection handoff the dongle makes as again generally when away from my house the connection worked fine.

All in all for ÂŁ100 (or the bargain WDpro got!) I think they are well worth the punt.

Having gone to android and back to plugging in its reminded me how much it annoys me for shortish trips.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I got asked on the wireless CarPlay thread for a video showing response times etc so I might as well post the info here, for those interested you also catch a glimpse of the Ford Performance splash screen :like:

No editing, no breaks in the filming etc so you can get a real view on the boot and response times etc.

No excuse for my accent ... :cwl:

For the record the setup for the film was SYNC 3.4 / Build 20282 / iPhone X / iOS 14.4.

Hope that helps :like:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I got asked on the wireless CarPlay thread for a video showing response times etc so I might as well post the info here, for those interested you also catch a glimpse of the Ford Performance splash screen :like:

No editing, no breaks in the filming etc so you can get a real view on the boot and response times etc.

No excuse for my accent ... :cwl:

For the record the setup for the film was SYNC 3.4 / Build 20282 / iPhone X / iOS 14.4.

Hope that helps :like:

Your message about not being a wanker is great WD. Where is that generated.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Your message about not being a wanker is great WD. Where is that generated.
It's a Siri automation (with her set to American female), find it under 'Shortcuts' and then 'Automation'. I have set up these :

1612772062072.png

She (Siri) particularly likes having the charging cable plugged in ... :cwl:

I think my misses really regrets that my daughter showed me the Siri automation feature ... lol

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
It's a Siri automation (with her set to American female), find it under 'Shortcuts' and then 'Automation'. I have set up these :

1612772062072.png

She (Siri) particularly likes having the charging cable plugged in ... :cwl:

I think my misses really regrets that my daughter showed me the Siri automation feature ... lol

Thanks WD. Unfortunately I do not use Apple so I will have to investigate whether Android has something similar.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Pretty sure an android app called tasker will do similar things although not tried it myself.
Thanks wenklaw, I will see what it will do.