Sponsored

Gone in 20 Seconds

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
think i must be the only person that doesn't care...I have insurance its what its for there's no way to ever stop anyone nicking a car so the trick is to minimise the damage they do when they do nick it so if its recovered it doesn't get written off as being too damaged or cost you a fortune to repair.

they have standard deadlocks etc on the car as default + immobiliser + alarm its more than enough and just keep the key more than 5 foot away from any door/window and you'll be fine no point fucking around with these pouches etc.
Gotta put yourself in the shoes of the victim here...I don't know this for a fact, but these £7 pouches may, in hindsight, have been the difference between having the car nicked, and having it left alone. Who knows - the thieves that took this Stang may have attempted the same method on other cars before this, saw that it didn't work and moved on, eventually finding the Mustang.

For the sake of £7, I think it's foolish not to - and I'm very much a "ahh, that'll never happen to me" guy. I'd be kicking myself for life if my lack of a simple security measure was the reason it got nicked. Different story if someone forces their way in the house & physically pinches the keys, there are some things you can't prevent. But this, for £7 is a no brainer IMO.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
but its an inconvenience having the key's wireless features not working, have to take a pouch out of your pockets that may already be full and then take the key out to press a button to put it all back when normally you can just touch the handle and never touch the key again jobs a good'un. all because people can't move their keys away from their door/window. the range is about 5 foot max so move it somewhere 5 foot away from a door/window and its safe even better i put them on my office desk upstairs that way not only can they not be scanned but anyone breaking in and intentionally come onto the first floor i can claim I feared for my life and it was self defence.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
but anyone breaking in and intentionally come onto the first floor i can claim I feared for my life and it was self defence.

And I , for one, would not particularly want to be (uninvited) confronted by David in the dark on the first floor of his house in the middle of the night!:punch::punch::punch:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
the range is about 5 foot max so move it somewhere 5 foot away from a door/window and its safe
Unless you're a thief with one of these magic boxes - range is much, much further. I should clarify the scenarios I'm concerned with...1. car on the driveway at night, whether I'm home or not, with unprotected keys in the house. 2. Car left home alone all day, key(s) in the house.

When I'm actually using the car, the key fob won't be in its pouch (the spare will), it'll be thrown in my pocket as normal & I'll use the keyless features.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Unless you're a thief with one of these magic boxes - range is much, much further. I should clarify the scenarios I'm concerned with...1. car on the driveway at night, whether I'm home or not, with unprotected keys in the house. 2. Car left home alone all day, key(s) in the house.

When I'm actually using the car, the key fob won't be in its pouch (the spare will), it'll be thrown in my pocket as normal & I'll use the keyless features.
the RFID in the fob cannot be extended as you think it is. all those "extender" boxes are, are extra sensitive receives that can pick up on signals too weak to reach the car normally because the car receiver is wrapped in metal and typically lowest cost. Think of it as having a portable radio (are you old enough to remember these? : ) ) without an aerial vs with an aerial then they boost/relay it by just mirrioring it via a local transmitter so the car can pick up on it. Thats why you should move it 5 foot from the outside of the premise as that should be well beyond the range of most of these receivers

put the keys in your bed room and quit worrying

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
the RFID in the fob cannot be extended as you think it is. all those "extender" boxes are, are extra sensitive receives that can pick up on signals too weak to reach the car normally because the car receiver is wrapped in metal and typically lowest cost. Think of it as having a portable radio (are you old enough to remember these? : ) ) without an aerial vs with an aerial then they boost/relay it by just mirrioring it via a local transmitter so the car can pick up on it. Thats why you should move it 5 foot from the outside of the premise as that should be well beyond the range of most of these receivers

Hmmm. Just had a long text convo with young Manders on the subject...I don't think I fully understood the technology...anyway, £7 spent, I'll use them - just for my own peace of mind.

P.s. portable radios...just about!

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Not necessarily the best idea either. Is it better that the theives grab the keys from just inside your door, or go tooled up seaching through your house endagering your family for the keys.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Caveat: what I'm about to say is based on the assumption that the system in the Mustang works in a similar way to the system in my Corvette...

I've just tried standing inside my house, 20 feet away from the window, with my car another 20-25 feet away on top of that (so 40-45 feet in total). When I double-tap the lock button I get the horn sounding to confirm it's locked. If I were to leave the fob inside the house, walk to the car, and try to open the door relying on passive entry, it wouldn't work....not because the fob is too far away, but because there are multiple receivers in the car that know the receiver isn't near the door I'm trying to open - it's a triangulation feature to stop people jumping into your car and stealing it while you walk away!

However, if I had a repeater with me, it would be in the right place for the car's receivers and would be able to talk to my fob...so logically I should be able to open the car door. So I don't see why having the fob 5 feet (or 20 feet) inside my house will stop it being stolen...

Obviously I can't test this theory without a repeater, but I've just got to ask myself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" :)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
you're correct, basically there's 2 devices when they steal them, one needs to be within the range of the key and act as if it was the car, then amplifies the signal and bounces it onto another device, the other device works on the parameter sensors and therefore tricks the car to thinking the key is near to it, allowing you to open and close the car as usual, even if they did open your car from 100ft away with the amplifing "hack/tool/gizmo" the car still wouldn't start, put your key a foot away from the car after u get in and try and turn it on, doesn't work.

Also, when pressing lock/unlock it amplifies the range from the key, it's almost 100m in range or so with this, however this ONLY ACTIVATES WHEN YOU PRESS LOCK/UNLOCK. Otherwise it's about 5-10ft of contactless range.

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I have the pouches - and they certainly block the key signal ok - but as soon as the key is removed from the pouch - I guess it is "scan-able"?
How long does it take to actually pinch the code? if it is done immediately that the key fob is pressed - then the pouch might stop scanning keys with signal amplifiers (taking the signal from your house / pocket etc) - but as soon as you press the fob I guess it can be scanned at that point?
!
As there are some very knowledgeable people on here - could someone pickup the code of the key (for future theft use) as per my previous description - i.e. when removed from the pouch - or when the unlock button is pressed on the fob ?

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Sucks to hear. I'm low risk. I don't live in a shithole. I don't go to areas of "rich and vibrant" culture with my car. I have a 6 speed millenial anti theft device. I usually sit where I can see my car from inside a restaurant etc. I don't go out at the hours between 11pm-4am when all the shitbags without jobs are out and about. You can't fix all the potential situations but you can cut down the percentage. YMMV

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
So I don't see why having the fob 5 feet (or 20 feet) inside my house will stop it being stolen...
because at that range the passive rfid signal will be so weak that even a really sensitive receiver wouldn't be able to pick it up from the background noise. Its a simple factor of signal strength vs distance.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
As there are some very knowledgeable people on here - could someone pickup the code of the key (for future theft use) as per my previous description - i.e. when removed from the pouch - or when the unlock button is pressed on the fob ?
button pressing is a completely different function to the keyless system so button pressing is irrelevant (but yes it can also be intercepted this is how they used to do it in older times before keyless systems became the norm)

To answer the other part then yes it can be scanned the second it leaves the pouch and takes about a second to scan/read however from what I can see the keyless systems don't capture and save simply read / relay so they can't capture it to use it in future. The button press can be captured and saved to use later though.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
because at that range the passive rfid signal will be so weak that even a really sensitive receiver wouldn't be able to pick it up from the background noise. Its a simple factor of signal strength vs distance.
Ah, OK - didn't realise the fobs have passive RFID. (I made the dodgy assumption that it's active because there's a battery in there!)
Sponsored