Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
This is pretty awful! I am almost paranoid about mine getting pinched

as an example- I parked on the top floor of a multi-story (open to the elements) 3 days ago and then caught a train to London for the day ... When I came back it was dark - I went up to the 4th floor and walked out of the lift onto the car park - my car was still where I left it (relief) -

but...

No other cars were present - except for a little (might have been a fiesta) car parked about 10 yards from mine

As I came out onto the car park area - the car's interior light immediately went off (and I could see a man was in it) ....

so I moved quickly to the mustang - took the key out of the security pouch - blipped once to unlock - stuffed the key back into the security pouch and jumped in...

Of course the car wouldn't start (as the key was in the security pouch!) - so I took it out - started the car and drove off

talk about paranoid - as I went round and round down the multistory car park I was very very aware of any movement around me and when I got to the "out barrier" and two blokes were standing there I stuffed the ticket into the machine and legged it!

Now - I have no idea how this cloning of key signals works - or how long it takes to pinch the key signal code - can anyone enlighten me?

I too now have crook-lock (for all the use it is) and camera etc ...

Bob

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Yea I know what you mean I think the key has to be in range fro them to scan for several second but not sure .
I have been looking into these features look great but a bit pricey
https://www.pandoracaralarms.co.uk/

Sponsored

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
Which size disklok fits the steering wheel?
Thats the only thing i have not bought yet due to needing that info myself.It does say that small fits most cars on the website

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Scary stuff. Discussed this with a few folks yesterday - the CCTV footage is on Instagram. Worth pointing out the actual events - not the "in & out in 20 seconds" the media reported...

2 guys rock up to the driveway approx 3am. They are in the driveway for ~2 minutes. In that time they do something (assuming using a range extender) and one of them gains entry and sits in the drivers seat. He gets out, closes the door and they both leave. 15 mins later they return, hop in the car and drive off, in the space of about 20 seconds.

We've all read about these range extenders, but for anyone not in the know... It's a super cheap device that "boosts" the range of the car to detect the key. So whilst your key may be 5, 10, 20 feet away in the house, an opportunist thief with one of these devices stood next to the car, essentially mimics having the key on him.

Seeing a few thefts this year, I've finally ordered a pair of cheap faraday pouches just for peace of mind. We should all have these at an absolute minimum; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FVVTK9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a theory that Mustangs could become easy targets, they are certainly rare enough, and your average Mustang owner will probably be spending less on security measures than owners of the higher end, normal targets (range rovers, bmw's etc).

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seeing a few thefts this year, I've finally ordered a pair of cheap faraday pouches just for peace of mind. We should all have these at an absolute minimum; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FVVTK9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the pouches - and they certainly block the key signal ok - but as soon as the key is removed from the pouch - I guess it is "scan-able"?
How long does it take to actually pinch the code? if it is done immediately that the key fob is pressed - then the pouch might stop scanning keys with signal amplifiers (taking the signal from your house / pocket etc) - but as soon as you press the fob I guess it can be scanned at that point?

Yea I know what you mean I think the key has to be in range fro them to scan for several second but not sure .
I have been looking into these features look great but a bit pricey
https://www.pandoracaralarms.co.uk/
The explanation of car thefts on this site (actually UK car alarms ltd) is fairly good - and the products look good too - but (I know I am picky) the amount of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors on a professional website makes me wonder about their attention to detail!

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BTW - Pandora car alarms have just refused to quote me - because I told them about their spelling mistakes and because I refused to tell them the location of my Mustang!!!

Dodgy !!!

(they did admit that the devices are made in Russia and therefore the spelling mistakes were the Russians' fault!) hmmmm.....

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
think i must be the only person that doesn't care...I have insurance its what its for there's no way to ever stop anyone nicking a car so the trick is to minimise the damage they do when they do nick it so if its recovered it doesn't get written off as being too damaged or cost you a fortune to repair.

they have standard deadlocks etc on the car as default + immobiliser + alarm its more than enough and just keep the key more than 5 foot away from any door/window and you'll be fine no point fucking around with these pouches etc.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
BTW - Pandora car alarms have just refused to quote me - because I told them about their spelling mistakes and because I refused to tell them the location of my Mustang!!!

Dodgy !!!

(they did admit that the devices are made in Russia and therefore the spelling mistakes were the Russians' fault!) hmmmm.....
don't waste your time looking its only what the car has on it by factory standard anyway ! or if you must look at 3rd party alarms look at good ones like clifford etc

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
what you really need is for the car to start up with no traction control by default youll find them dead in your car in about 500 m lol

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
think i must be the only person that doesn't care...I have insurance its what its for there's no way to ever stop anyone nicking a car so the trick is to minimise the damage they do when they do nick it so if its recovered it doesn't get written off as being too damaged or cost you a fortune to repair.

they have standard deadlocks etc on the car as default + immobiliser + alarm its more than enough and just keep the key more than 5 foot away from any door/window and you'll be fine no point fucking around with these pouches etc.
I dont disagree - but having had to claim on insurance in the past - and knowing full well that every one of the b'stards will do their absolute damnedest to disallow your claim in any which way they can - I would not want to have to go through the grief and stress of another fight with the Insurers ever again!

When some dodgy bloke decides to sit in his car directly opposite my mustang on the top floor of southern bus car park (or whatever it is called nowadays)- in the dark ....and its the only other car in the car park (apart from about 5 on the ground floor) - you really do get a bit paranoid about it!!

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Good advice about the pouches - just ordered 4 as my missus is getting a new car soon as well.

When my Mustang finally arrives, I'll also get a Tracker fitted. I've had one fitted to my Vette since new and fortunately never had to use it in anger...but when a dealer decided to stick it on a transporter without telling me I got the alerts from Tracker telling me exactly where it was and asking me what I wanted to do about it! Tracker were also brilliant when I bought the car as the selling dealer was useless and had the wrong model of Tracker fitted..so Tracker got on the case for me and ensured the dealer paid for the correct Tracker to be fitted and paid for a lifetime subscription! Just had a look and even the top of the range model is only ÂŁ800.

As for relying on insurance...even if they pay out, imagine waiting another 5-6 months for the replacement....

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I dont disagree - but having had to claim on insurance in the past - and knowing full well that every one of the b'stards will do their absolute damnedest to disallow your claim in any which way they can - I would not want to have to go through the grief and stress of another fight with the Insurers ever again!

When some dodgy bloke decides to sit in his car directly opposite my mustang on the top floor of southern bus car park (or whatever it is called nowadays)- in the dark ....and its the only other car in the car park (apart from about 5 on the ground floor) - you really do get a bit paranoid about it!!
he'll have just been having a joint its a favourite hang out
Sponsored