GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A garage just gives the thieves cover to hide, on a driveway they're out in the open.
Sponsored

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Whoever thought keyless entry was a good idea? This is definitely a case of unnecessary gimmicky tech.
So they can charge you more for a feature you never asked for. It should be a delete option or at the very least possible to disable in menus or for free by the dealer. Its not a convienience feature if you have to mess about getting keys out of a pouch & unlocking your mechanical steering lock. At home my car is garaged & the keys are in a tin.

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
So they can charge you more for a feature you never asked for. It should be a delete option or at the very least possible to disable in menus or for free by the dealer. Its not a convienience feature if you have to mess about getting keys out of a pouch & unlocking your mechanical steering lock. At home my car is garaged & the keys are in a tin.
I think it a bit ā€˜tin foil hatā€™ ish to keep the keys in a pouch when out of the house. It is theoretically possible for thieves to use gadgetry to open the vehicle door by detecting your key fob but it would be hugely difficult to organise successfully when you are out and about. They may as well just mug you for the key!

By all means keep the key in a shielded pouch when at home. However, the rolling codes emitted when using the fob buttons to open the vehicle can be intercepted and used later so itā€™s not completely secure. Once inside the vehicle it is relatively simple to download the necessary data via the always powered OBD port to clone a key and away goes your p & j!

Personally, I find the keyless entry / start a good thing and very convenient, especially when opening the boot of the locked car.

BTW, have you tested your key tin - this method doesnā€™t always work!

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
don't buy this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173504331633

Keys wrapped in tin foil, no signal , keys in the "key blocker" pouch I can open and close it like it's wrapped in tissue
Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious but make sure the fob is in the right half of the pouch.

A more crude, but more common, tactic being used by thieves is to simply park in a car park with a device that blocks the locking signal. They wait for punters to walk away having pressed their locking key fob without looking back then enter their cars. It's been reported at Chieveley services and sounds like it might be happening at Ikea in Bristol.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious but make sure the fob is in the right half of the pouch.

A more crude, but more common, tactic being used by thieves is to simply park in a car park with a device that blocks the locking signal. They wait for punters to walk away having pressed their locking key fob without looking back then enter their cars. It's been reported at Chieveley services and sounds like it might be happening at Ikea in Bristol.
Fuckers... and then at the same time i assume it copies the key and allows them to get in the car with it?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well this all got very real for me tonight...make what you will of this but the more I think about it, the worse I feel about it. Real mixed bag of emotions right now. Heres what happened...

Monday night I stayed at my girlfriends place, 50 miles away Mustang on the drive at my parents house (i swap cars as & when i want so one is always there). Having dinner tonight and Mum says to me ā€œsomething strange happened this morning...we went out the front door and the flower pot (usually to the right of the door) was in the middle of the doorstep, on the mat which was crookedā€. Obvious things spring to mind...someone looking for a spare key to get in the front door? A ā€œmarkerā€ left by thieves as a message? Who knows. Anyway checked the car out and it seems untouched.

They also recalled that on Sunday afternoon they saw a white van pull up in front of the house, occupants look inside, then van drives off. (mustang not on the drive at this point). Fuck me, stressing out at this point!

Anyway, logged it to police on 101 because thats just wayyy too weird to just ignore. They advised to move the car if I could, which I have obviously. No way I would have slept a wink otherwise.

Worth a note as well that my keys have lived in their pouch since Friday.

Am I being paranoid? Probably a little. Did I avoid having my car nicked because of a pair of Ā£7 protective pouches? Unlikely, but plausible IMO

So there it is. Donā€™t know what to think about it all right now but iā€™m hoping this will be of some use to someone.

Stay safe folks, donā€™t be an easy target.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
"I think it a bit ā€˜tin foil hatā€™ ish to keep the keys in a pouch when out of the house."

Does anyone actually leave their Mustang key in the house when not there?? I always take mine with me when I go out and the spare key is with a family member.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Am I being paranoid? Probably a little. Did I avoid having my car nicked because of a pair of Ā£7 protective pouches? Unlikely, but plausible IMO

So there it is. Donā€™t know what to think about it all right now but iā€™m hoping this will be of some use to someone.

Stay safe folks, donā€™t be an easy target.
Have you got a steering wheel lock?

Sponsored

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Fuckers... and then at the same time i assume it copies the key and allows them to get in the car with it?
By blocking the lock signal from the fob the car is left open and not alarmed. They then enter the car and download all they need to clone a key from the OBD port. It takes only a few minutes to do with the right equipment!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Have you got a steering wheel lock?
Not yet. Seems essential now sadly. I remember a thread from a while ago with recommendations, I'll dig it out & get one ordered.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
By blocking the lock signal from the fob the car is left open and not alarmed. They then enter the car and download all they need to clone a key from the OBD port. It takes only a few minutes to do with the right equipment!
This.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Just by chance my habit is to lock the car via the handle touching the sensor not using the fob as I said just pure habit I picked up years ago when I had another car that you couldn't really tell if you locked it with the fob lol

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just by chance my habit is to lock the car via the handle touching the sensor not using the fob as I said just pure habit I picked up years ago when I had another car that you couldn't really tell if you locked it with the fob lol
Same. You can "feel" the car locking :crackup:

P.s. who in their right mind doesn't look back at their car when they walk away & lock it, especially a Mustang. I literally walk backwards in to the supermarket til it's out of sight, admiring those beautiful lines :inlove:
Sponsored