Sponsored

Going back to an S197 a bad idea?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There's a reason for that. Not sure you know exactly what you want. If your looking at a boss302 your going to be spending that much on a car. If your looking for a collector car
I’m not looking for a collector. $25k for a 16-17 year old car isn’t where I’m at in life.

If I were looking, I would rather spend $25-$30k on a Boss. Chances are it will have less mileage and be in better condition based on age alone.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I always thought the S197 was ugly IMO....as the interior was too.
The S197 isn't perfect in my eyes either. There's a lot to like about the S550, but by being more refined, more luxurious, and more about technology and "feature content" it has managed to lose some of the Mustang's traditional rawness.

Norm

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but she said that doesn't make it right..
So give ur wife the s550, you get your s197.. & she'll hand your ass to you every time.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you’re discussing picking up a BOSS 302 because there is a partial thought it’s a cool S197 but think it may be “investment” grade in the future, then don’t buy one unless it’s the BOSS 302 LS, period.

The standard BOSS 302’s have come down in price and some are out there as low as $20k-22k, depending on condition, accrued miles and exterior body color favoritism.

The BOSS 302 LS are the rarity and will command higher values IF it’s fully documented, mothballed and not a high miler.

You can easily make your standard S550 GT “feel” like an S197 if you mod it up away from it’s “cushy” platform. Ditch the factory rear gears and step up a ratio or two. Open the exhaust w/ LT’s and decent catback (if you haven’t). You stated you did some suspension work but not exactly what - maybe the suspension needs to be revisited and firmed up if it’s still too lax for your liking.

Some folks have favorite Mustang platforms - if you’re geared towards another S197, go for it - but surely don’t do it for “investment” sakes. Ford built too many cookie cut “limited editions” and it will be many years before they are of any investment quality.

Sponsored

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
I’m not looking for a collector. $25k for a 16-17 year old car isn’t where I’m at in life.

If I were looking, I would rather spend $25-$30k on a Boss. Chances are it will have less mileage and be in better condition based on age alone.
18 GT is a faster car stock for stock then the Boss 302. If a daily car is your goal S550 is going to be a lot easier to live with day to day. I love my Ford's but as you go older in years the more the interiors look like a Fisher Price toy. If you want a failing and trading the 18 GT I wouldn't recommend a collectors anything and trading down to a 05-10 GT makes 0 sense both performance and financially speaking. Just trade it for a 11-14 if you have your heart set out on a older ride for a daily.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
sometimes I miss the looks and raw feeling, and better handling (on smooth roads) of my 2012. i had a lot of work done to the suspension and compared to my 2018 (which has the pedder's sportsryder kit and handles way better than stock), it was much more nimble, way better steering, flatter in turns, etc. just handled way better overall. front end grip on my old car was a night and day difference compared to my new car. but then i turn on my cooled seats and pop it into track mode and forget all that

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I have an 18 GT PP A10 car that I've owned 2 1/2 years and driven 4400 miles. I miss having an S197 GT and am strongly thinking of dumping the 18 and buying one should I happen to run across the right car.. around here it's rare to see a low mileage 11-14 A6 GT that isnt modded to death. I've been watching for a while and finding a low mileage 11-14 isnt easy

Last edited:

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
i have a 12 boss and 15 gt. both are great. the refinement is very noticeable in the 15 over the boss.
if i had the money and choice i would buy a boss again (i am contemplating buying the new 21 Mach1 if it comes out) but
i like the feel of the boss. i think that is the best "feeling" mustang to drive. the joy factor is higher when i drive the boss, BUT it is also the one you really have to pay attention due to the live rear axle. you cant settle on the car correcting your mistakes.
i dont think you would go wrong with the boss, but if you do go to S197 it should be the boss or shelby.
can you afford both? its always nicer to have choices....
i have about 4,500mi on the boss and about 3,700mi on the GT currently.
my driving has gone down significantly due to 2 young kids and no kiddie seats in the mustang.....

have fun!

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
i have a 12 boss and 15 gt. both are great. the refinement is very noticeable in the 15 over the boss.
if i had the money and choice i would buy a boss again (i am contemplating buying the new 21 Mach1 if it comes out) but
i like the feel of the boss. i think that is the best "feeling" mustang to drive. the joy factor is higher when i drive the boss, BUT it is also the one you really have to pay attention due to the live rear axle. you cant settle on the car correcting your mistakes.
i dont think you would go wrong with the boss, but if you do go to S197 it should be the boss or shelby.
can you afford both? its always nicer to have choices....
i have about 4,500mi on the boss and about 3,700mi on the GT currently.
my driving has gone down significantly due to 2 young kids and no kiddie seats in the mustang.....

have fun!
I think it's pretty amazing (and telling) how many people just in this thread alone have commented on the S197 just having it's own little magic in the driving experience department. I wouldn't be giving up my Shelby for the Boss as I think that's going the wrong direction (for me). It's just the wife and I, I've got no friends and no other spending habits so I should be alright. Yolo. Great feedback, much appreciated.

Sponsored

gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2018 GT. All I've done to it is add a tune and a little suspension work. I have no serious complaints about the car. I think Ford did a great job evolving the Mustang and improving every aspect of it. That said, for me, it's numb. I've had two previous S197 cars (4.6L and 5.8L) and they were both wild and fun to drive. They felt alive, especially after I added gears to the 4.6L.

My 18 is really docile and compliant. This is perfect for an all season daily driver but I'm looking for a summer only/fair weather car I can have fun with going to work or running errands. I would like that to be my S550 Shelby I'm waiting on but who knows when that will arrive. Plus, 700+ horses is too much to partially daily in my area (DMV) with all the stop lights so I save my current Shelby for road trips with the wife and the road course. I'm looking at picking up a Boss 302 for myself.

Will I regret it?
Yes you will regret it, I tried the same thing only to end up in a 14 with low miles and a clunky rearend that had to be rebuilt twice by Ford and a driveshaft, not to mention old tech. I have since went back to a 17 GT and couldnt be more happy.

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
Yes you will regret it, I tried the same thing only to end up in a 14 with low miles and a clunky rearend that had to be rebuilt twice by Ford and a driveshaft, not to mention old tech. I have since went back to a 17 GT and couldnt be more happy.
I definitely respect your experience there. Is this your daily driver? Do you think it was just bad luck and you would have been happier if you didn't have all the issues?

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thread. I currently drive an S550 V6 and have been tossing around the idea of either a Boss 302 or a 2007-12 GT500 instead of trading up to an S550 GT. I never owned an S197 (just drove a friend's around the block back around 2012). I like twisty roads, so the Boss is appealing from that standpoint. The Tremec is appealing in the GT500.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Late last summer, I had the chance to drive a 2005 GT.

The first thing that struck me was the heavy clutch that didn't leave me guessing about the friction point. It was so much easier to drive smoothly compared to my 2018.

I miss that.

Call me crazy, but I also miss the 2005-2009 interior.

There's just something about the 05-09. They don't pretend to be euro sports cars.

I'd love to go back, but it wouldn't be smart financially.

Lapptopp

Threads
Reaction score
Colorado, Eastern Plains (no emissions or traffic)
Vehicle(s)
17' Mustang Gt Ruby Red Metallic Base Stick
Late last summer, I had the chance to drive a 2005 GT.

The first thing that struck me was the heavy clutch that didn't leave me guessing about the friction point. It was so much easier to drive smoothly compared to my 2018.

I miss that.

Call me crazy, but I also miss the 2005-2009 interior.

There's just something about the 05-09. They don't pretend to be euro sports cars.

I'd love to go back, but it wouldn't be smart financially.
Have you removed your clutch assist spring yet?
Sponsored