Sponsored

Garage Lifts?

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Seeing there are a few members that have lifts in there garages. Seeing the 4 post lifts has got me thinking
that could solve some parking issues i have if i was able to lift my Foxbody up and part my '21 under it.

I have a 2 car garage with a 3rd bay on the side thats connected where my fox sits. The ceilings are pretty tall.

Which brands of lifts are recommended? Pros and cons? I see some on ebay and amazon but they seem like there
all the same just rebranded. How did everyone get there lifts installed?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I purely went for price. Its an 8k capacity. I knew I wasnā€™t going to use it professionally every day so I didnā€™t see a point in spending the extra for a Bendpak for example. Mine has never had one issue. I picked up mine from the local terminal and assembled it myself and one of my employees. Took us less then three hours including installing fluid and adjusting the cables. You could get away with using one on two mustangs with a little over a 11ā€™ ceiling. Mine is 12ā€™4ā€.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
Iā€™m not going to be any help hereā€¦we built a new crib during the ā€˜VID. I didnā€™t have the ā€œI need a new Mustangā€ itch at the time, so I didnā€™t plan very well. I too want a lift now but I will need to change the garage door track and opener.

Le-sighā€¦kicking myself in the Richard.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have a Challenger 4 post I use for parking/stacking and have been happy with it. IIRC every Challenger lift aside from the LE-10 2 post is made in the USA. At a minimum I would try to find a lift that is ALI certified, at least you know the device lifting the two ton automobile over your head or your other automobile meets a list of requirements to be certified.

20191223_174715.jpg

20220412_194639-X3.jpg

OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
How high are your ceilings?

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
How high are your ceilings?
with the sheetrock I want to say around 12ft 6in but my memory is a little fuzzy on that.

Should also mention, I did a lot of reading over on Garage Journal when it came to looking for lifts. Seems in more recent years Bendpak has had some hits and misses, including some people reporting when it came time to need parts on a 10+ year old model, Bendpak's solution was "buy a new one". It's worth shifting through garage journal for inspiration.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
Generally, for height you'll need 11 feet but 12 feet is preferred if you're looking for say 6 feet of clearance under the raised portion but check the manufacturer's guidelines.

Too many of these lifts are completely made in China with generally material, components and even safety devices that are inferior. I agree that you should be certain that the lift satisfies ALI standards and more important you can get access to service personnel if you encounter problems.

I have a Mohawk 10,000 lb rated 2 post. They're in Amsterdam, NY 150 miles from me. These lifts are virtually all American made and the company provides a 25 year warranty. But then again - I could buy 3 cheap lifts for the price of this one. But if you want to see how a higher quality lift is made here in this country you can go to their website and read.

They offer 4 posts. Other's in the fray here with good experiences - just need to do your own due diligence on the design, parts used and hydraulics etc. and where these companies source and assemble or sub-assemble components are Challenger as noted here, certain models of the BendPak znd Benwill names are decent for most applications.

Then there's the Back Yard Buddy which has been around a long time but I don't know how they are today.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have a Challenger 4 post I use for parking/stacking and have been happy with it. IIRC every Challenger lift aside from the LE-10 2 post is made in the USA. At a minimum I would try to find a lift that is ALI certified, at least you know the device lifting the two ton automobile over your head or your other automobile meets a list of requirements to be certified.

20191223_174715.jpg

20220412_194639-X3.jpg
Mercury Marauder on top rack? How many miles on it - what's been done to it aside from the brake upgrade?

Also another vote for GarageJournal forums - been a member there for quite some time too. Great forum with tons of interesting garages, lifts, design phases etc.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Generally, for height you'll need 11 feet but 12 feet is preferred if you're looking for say 6 feet of clearance under the raised portion but check the manufacturer's guidelines.

Too many of these lifts are completely made in China with generally material, components and even safety devices that are inferior. I agree that you should be certain that the lift satisfies ALI standards and more important you can get access to service personnel if you encounter problems.

I have a Mohawk 10,000 lb rated 2 post. They're in Amsterdam, NY 150 miles from me. These lifts are virtually all American made and the company provides a 25 year warranty. But then again - I could buy 3 cheap lifts for the price of this one. But if you want to see how a higher quality lift is made here in this country you can go to their website and read.

They offer 4 posts. Other's in the fray here with good experiences - just need to do your own due diligence on the design, parts used and hydraulics etc. and where these companies source and assemble or sub-assemble components are Challenger as noted here, certain models of the BendPak znd Benwill names are decent for most applications.

Then there's the Back Yard Buddy which has been around a long time but I don't know how they are today.

Mohawk's look like the most over built / under rated lifts on the market. The 10k lbs 2 post looks like it could support twice its weight with how beefy the columns are. Certainly get what you're paying for with those.

AFAIK Mohawk is the only one that offers adapters to use the 2 post for long term car storage, a genius idea IMO. They can probably get away with it because of how overbuilt these units are.

[
1651236511286.png

Mercury Marauder on top rack? How many miles on it - what's been done to it aside from the brake upgrade?

Also another vote for GarageJournal forums - been a member there for quite some time too. Great forum with tons of interesting garages, lifts, design phases etc.

I think its around 98k miles, I haven't had it off the 4 post lift since 2020 but I'm getting it ready for Carlisle this summer. It has an eaton swap on the stock engine and a t-56 magnum, made 440 at the wheels IIRC. I have a MMR 5.0 sitting on an engine stand waiting to go in that I yanked from a marauder I parted out.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not to be pessimistic but has anyone have a lift fail?

Sponsored

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I had a Challenger lift at my last house and was able to stack two coupes/sedans pretty easily with a ceiling just under 12ā€™ tall. I have a Champion lift now (thatā€™s the only one I could locate during the worst of the COVID supply chain backup period) and got the oversized model because itā€™s in an RV garage now.

6C3D742E-C8DA-493E-9BB4-6F004422A8E0.jpeg

EBA345AA-B136-4103-8F1F-30CA7AF0124D.jpeg

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Seeing there are a few members that have lifts in there garages. Seeing the 4 post lifts has got me thinking
that could solve some parking issues i have if i was able to lift my Foxbody up and part my '21 under it.

I have a 2 car garage with a 3rd bay on the side thats connected where my fox sits. The ceilings are pretty tall.

Which brands of lifts are recommended? Pros and cons? I see some on ebay and amazon but they seem like there
all the same just rebranded. How did everyone get there lifts installed?
I took advice from @Inthehighdesert and @nmp1 on their lift choices. Ended up going with an Advantage Lift. It's great. Very sturdy. You can move it around if need be. Low ramps allow both a PP1 w the PP2 splitter and a gt350 up without problems. Sturdy, nice colorway, all good. High Dessert guy made a good point that a lot of the lifts are the similar so cost is a good consideration. Advantage Lifts are out of Pennsylvania. Bendpack is in California and distributors in midwest, so shipping and delivery time was also a factor.

20220518_163956.jpg

20220518_163832.jpg

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
I have an Advantage Lift 4 post. Look up those or the Backyard Buddy. I like how the platform collars encapsulate the vertical corner beams. It is more stable than my old Danmar.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No MaxJax M6K by Bendpak users with low ceilings? I have 10ā€™4ā€ ceilings in my garage and have been thinking about this lift. The price is right and it should serve its purpose. I also Like that it can be wheeled off to the side if needed for storage.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
They had a version that would give almost 6ā€™ underneath a few years ago. I really considered that unit. The being able to put it to the side was what really interested me. If you donā€™t have the space for a full setup there a great choice or you wonā€™t be using it constantly. At 10ā€™4 you have enough height to stack cars with a four post if the need and space is available. My ceiling height is 12ā€™4, and ultimately the stacking cars is what made the decision for me.

No MaxJax M6K by Bendpak users with low ceilings? I have 10ā€™4ā€ ceilings in my garage and have been thinking about this lift. The price is right and it should serve its purpose. I also Like that it can be wheeled off to the side if needed for storage.
Sponsored