Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never understood the rationale of buying a GT then not wanting to get the best performance possible out of it over trying to save a few bucks on fuel. I certainly understand budget constraints but it begs the question of why buy the GT to start with?
Unfortunately we can only get 91 here, unless we go across the border.
Sponsored

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
For a mustang gt, the 2022 hp number of 460 is based off of using 91 gas i believe, if not 93. If you use 87, you will for sure be running lower timing and getting lower hp and lower gas milage. The gt CAN run 87 as its tuned to be ABLE to, but will reduce power and gas milage. In most cases, getting 93 and 87 means you pay almost the same money, you just either get 87 and tank up more often, or get 93 and tank up less. The worst is comparing the quality of 93 to 87, your injectors and fuel pump will be much happier and cleaner running 93 than 87, so long long term maintence is better. I personally only go to shell 93 as it has detergents, my 06 mini cooper s project lived at a shell getting 93 for its entire life, the fuel filter after 120k miles was crystal clean. So its definitely worth to pay extra for 93 or 91, and even better if you can get to a good brand gas station like shell or mobile

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’ve never understood the rationale of buying a GT then not wanting to get the best performance possible out of it over trying to save a few bucks on fuel. I certainly understand budget constraints but it begs the question of why buy the GT to start with?
because the difference between 93 and 87 is subtle, a GT on 87 is still a very fast car. It may be "fast enough" for most people

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
because the difference between 93 and 87 is subtle, a GT on 87 is still a very fast car. It may be "fast enough" for most people
If the manufacturer specifirs premium I run premium. I have a background in the aerospace industry so I follow directions.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If the manufacturer specifirs premium I run premium. I have a background in the aerospace industry so I follow directions.
Ford specifies 87 to 93, idk what planes have to do with this.

Just for a little background, the coyote in the mustang is designed for 87 and has the ability to extend up to take advantage of 93, its not designed for 93 and extending down to 87. Your mustang GT is designed to run on 87 and never have a single issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fred Larson

Fred Larson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I would think that if fuel economy was a priority then a GT Mustang probably wasn't a good choice.
Interestingly all of my cars get nearly identical mileage, despite widely varying performance. One of the reasons I am very glad I bought the GT and not a Ecoboost Mustang:
Mustang GT 5.0 450 HP
Cadillac XTS 3.6 300+ HP
Ford Edge 2.0 Turbo 245 HP

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Just for a little background, the coyote in the mustang is designed for 87 and has the ability to extend up to take advantage of 93, its not designed for 93 and extending down to 87.
Please explain how it's "designed for 87". What, exactly, makes the Coyote engine "designed for 87"? Pistons? Rods? Intake? Engine mounts? ECM?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If there's no noticeable difference, what is the compromise?

FWIW, I can absolutely feel a difference between the two in my EB.
I got used to using 93 octane in the turbocharged cars I have owned. I am mostly concerned about knocking and overall quality of the gas. It just made me feel more comfortable to use it in my Mustang GT.

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
For a stock, street driven 2022 GT, does 91 or 93 octane fuel make a noticeable difference? (i.e. is it worth using?). The price delta from 87 locally is 30 cents/gallon.
Put in a bottle of 104+. You'll notice a difference in few minutes. It allows computer to advance timing and better throttle mapping. Knowing this, I think it is better to have it if you mash the peddle one in a while.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I always use 93 and when available, I use 90 octane ethanol-free fuel. The motor runs smoother and snappier on it. Remember, Biden has increased the corn juice max from 10% to 15%, on top of the seasonal blend changes. This absolutely affects performance and mileage.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Every stock coyote log I’ve seen can’t hit mbt timing on 93. Usually knock pulls it down to the 22-23 deg range up top. Ford says mbt is something like 25-26, so you’re missing out on 2-3 deg timing ON 93. Most tuners tend to agree that actual mbt is more like 28-30, but the stock cal won’t go over ford’s mbt no matter what fuel it’s running. On 87 I’ve seen logs on the trucks dropping as low as 15 deg timing, again stock. At 15 deg you’re losing some power, for sure.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I have a 2022 and switching to 93 made no seat of the pants difference. (ran as much of the 87 out as possible before filling up with 93). Not saying it didn't make a little more HP's, just saying it wasn't noticeable.
However, after getting a 93 octane tune I can tell a difference at lower rpm's.
You may not "feel" the difference but using TrackApps definitely shows a difference. When I ran 87 early on, the 0-60 run was 6.0 seconds. After running a few tankfuls of premium 93 and did the same 0-60 run on the same highway, TrackApps recorded 4.9 seconds. I didn't really notice much with the "seat of the pants" gauge, but 1.1 seconds is a big difference. The 30 cents a gallon difference is worth it.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Good decision but I don't get folks who insult folks for asking a question.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You may not "feel" the difference but using TrackApps definitely shows a difference. When I ran 87 early on, the 0-60 run was 6.0 seconds. After running a few tankfuls of premium 93 and did the same 0-60 run on the same highway, TrackApps recorded 4.9 seconds. I didn't really notice much with the "seat of the pants" gauge, but 1.1 seconds is a big difference. The 30 cents a gallon difference is worth it.
Did you bolt a supercharger on there also when you went from 87 to 93? 1.1 second decrease in 0 to 60 is a lot, like 200 more horsepower a lot.

Doug
Sponsored