Ford PP 2 Pinging

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
For what it is worth I use NGK LTR6BI-13's and do not have pinging.
Probably a combination of the two if I'm honest. One didn't solve it on its own.
I'm going to change my PCV valve as this will be cheap and easy. I don't like how loose it feels in the valve cover. I likely caused it to loosen when developing my oil catch can relocation kit. I had the fittings on/off at least 30 times. I don't expect this to fix the knocking sound but having the PCV valve fitting firmed up will be good.

If you use NKG's website to find product based on year and model there is a change in 2020 to a heat range 7 on all the V8 models. So a 2017 - 2019 should use a heat range 6 and a 2020+ should be using a heat range 7. There was no change to the 5.0 engine from 2019 to 2020 so why did they change the heat range for 2020? Hmmm.... 🤔

Now having the M-9603-M8B kit on my car, this effectively is the Bullitt or Mach1 setup with the same performance bump so they are probably running similar or identical tunes. I'm going to pull one plug and see if I can get a number off it so I know where I am starting from.

NKG lists a different plug for OEM replacement on the 2020 Bullitt and Mach1. It's a 94862 or (LTR7CP13). The differences are the pre-set gap and the electrode size. The Bullitt/Mach1 plug is on the right. Other plugs I shown for comparison. After learning this, I want to try the 94862 plugs.
1675088411929.png
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Guys, this thread is regarding power pack 2 pinging which is applicable to 2015-2017 years with ford perf. power pack installed.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I installed the new PCV not long after my last post and it had a similar effect to what you describe with the idle etc.

Mine is not pinging anymore - whether it is a coincidence or just luck, I don't know. It is the middle of summer here in Australia at present and the ambient temperatures have been 30+ degrees Celcius, so 90+ Fahrenheit, which previously would have resulted in noticeable pinging.

I guess it's up to you whether you want to reinstall or go with PP1, but my experience has been positive.
Fortgot to ask - do you have your octane adjust (for bad fuel) setting in ford tuning software on or off?

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Fortgot to ask - do you have your octane adjust (for bad fuel) setting in ford tuning software on or off?
It's been turned on from the start.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Interesting and desirable side effect of PCV replacement - level of that 2000 rpm exhsust volume inside cabin decreased to a comfortable level. I've got aftermarket active exhaust that initialy was aligneg with my expectations, but then got louder inside for no reason.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
If I remember, when the PP2 came out, the pinging complaints started and the engineers said that this light amount of pinging would not hurt. They also said that a good catch can would help.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm going to change my PCV valve as this will be cheap and easy. I don't like how loose it feels in the valve cover. I likely caused it to loosen when developing my oil catch can relocation kit. I had the fittings on/off at least 30 times. I don't expect this to fix the knocking sound but having the PCV valve fitting firmed up will be good.

If you use NKG's website to find product based on year and model there is a change in 2020 to a heat range 7 on all the V8 models. So a 2017 - 2019 should use a heat range 6 and a 2020+ should be using a heat range 7. There was no change to the 5.0 engine from 2019 to 2020 so why did they change the heat range for 2020? Hmmm.... 🤔

Now having the M-9603-M8B kit on my car, this effectively is the Bullitt or Mach1 setup with the same performance bump so they are probably running similar or identical tunes. I'm going to pull one plug and see if I can get a number off it so I know where I am starting from.

NKG lists a different plug for OEM replacement on the 2020 Bullitt and Mach1. It's a 94862 or (LTR7CP13). The differences are the pre-set gap and the electrode size. The Bullitt/Mach1 plug is on the right. Other plugs I shown for comparison. After learning this, I want to try the 94862 plugs.
1675088411929.png
The PCV having a bit of side to side play is normal, they're all like that due to how it's installed in the valve cover.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've folowed steps of replacing PCV.

Inspired by idle stabilization and a set of colder plugs sitting in my garage I decided to give my pp2 another chance..

Reinstalled PP2 first .I'd say that pinging got reduced a little. It used to be pinging continuously in 2-4k rpm range under mid\heavy acceleration. Now I can only hear short sequences in the beginning of acceleration. But it is still there.

Drove like that a little, then replaced spark plugs. I did not notice substantial improvement in terms of pinging unfortunately.

With this setup I can almost completely avoid pinging if my aceleration is in high rpm ranges. Like accelerate to 5k+ in first and then downshifts start in 4k for each sequential gears.

I added a quarter of Boostane bottle to the tank of fuel and no improvement either.... Strangely - what really helps is - humid misty weather. Dry air exagerates pinging. Unfortunately it is dry and hot most of the year where I live.

I have oil catch cans at both sides. Having airbox cover vs no cover makes no difference either.

Anyways.... I'll drive it a little more and revert back to stock again.

Anyone has unused Powerr Pack 1 for sale? I could try that one as an experiment, but not very optimistic to be honest.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
just some interresdting obserrvations.

- Added a little more boostane to fuel mix. Drove in wet misty weather. No detonation of any kind.

- Same fuel tank a week later. Dry weather. Easy to induce detonation. Same road.

- Another week later. I was about to remove PP2 and realized I did not tighten intake manifold properly (throttle bodt connection) I thought - bingo. Tightened. Dry weather. Same fuel tank. Not able to detonate.

- Same day, same ride as above. By the time I have the tank 50% full and just went to the gas station to fill the tank and see if more realistic fuel (less boostane) will behave. I only drove maybe 1 mile from the gas station and could hear detonation again. I mean - probably no new fuel mix got to the engine yet...

I wonder if mustangs have some sort of fuel tester sensors that evaluate it right after fill ups?

Anyways... I uninstalled the pp2.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Have you had a chance to see how it runs now that you are back to stock?

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
For takes pride in low RPM HP/TQ boost. Well expect to getting pinging with that. These are high rpm engines, Not a old 390FE that runs outta steam at 4200 rpm.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Did you ever check what plugs your car had installed in it?
I never did check over the winter. Nicer weather is here so I can spend more time in the garage. I plan on pulling the drivers side plugs and checking the gaps. If the gaps are not right, I'll do the passenger side which requires more effort to get at, otherwise I will leave them. I've had the car out a couple times so far this year and haven't noticed anything that sounds like ping. It could have been the drivers side cat heat shield which I adjusted.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
stock - everything is good, no detonation.
Well that's good. Too bad that you couldn't keep using the PP2 kit.
Sponsored