WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Sorry for the delayed update.

I did the plugs today - I didn't have too much chance to drive the car due to thunderstorms, but will have another try tomorrow if the weather is good. It started and idled very smoothly however.

The gap on the factory plugs was different on all 8 cylinders - I'll also add that replacing them on a RHD car is a nightmare for the rear cylinders on each bank. Thank god for a 1/2" uni joint fitting is all I can say.

I gapped the new plugs to .045".

Stay tuned for further updates - it will have to be dry for me to drive it with the windows down to see if it has disappeared, so I will update as soon as I can.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The gap on the factory plugs was different on all 8 cylinders
Why does this not surprise me? That's a big enough reason to remove the factory plugs.
Looking forward to hearing about your results.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Just a further update on this one, I've been driving the Mustang around and have only heard very slight, barely audible signs of pinging in instances where it would have been really bad before, that being 2-3500rpm at moderate to heavy throttle. Mine is automatic, so it's more susceptible than a manual trans car.

I have also got a new PCV to fit because I believe mine is cactus - it is loose in the rocker cover and the oil separator line isn't that tight on it. I believe this may also be contributing.

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Just a further update on this one, I've been driving the Mustang around and have only heard very slight, barely audible signs of pinging in instances where it would have been really bad before, that being 2-3500rpm at moderate to heavy throttle. Mine is automatic, so it's more susceptible than a manual trans car.

I have also got a new PCV to fit because I believe mine is cactus - it is loose in the rocker cover and the oil separator line isn't that tight on it. I believe this may also be contributing.
Thanks for reporting in! I would be keen to get another update in a month's time as I had a few instances where I would try something and it would have a temporary positive effect but then revert back to being fully obnoxious again so I'm.. cautiously-sceptical-but-still-hopeful

In the meantime... mine got taken out by a P-plater so I'm driving an FG Falcon for a while which has waaay more problems to worry about 😵 lol

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
In the meantime... mine got taken out by a P-plater so I'm driving an FG Falcon for a while which has waaay more problems to worry about 😵 lol
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad and you've got your Stang back sooner rather than later.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

That sounds like an improvement. Keep driving and let us know.
My PCV valve is also a bit loose in the valve cover. I do not know if it was always like that or became like that. Something to look into.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Formet pp2 user here. (Pp2 sitting in a garage). I replaced my pcv and can definitely tell that idle became more stable. The car was slightly but noticeably shaking before.

I've also got a set of colder frpp plugs in my garage.

But I wonder if I want to get pp1 and try it instead of pp2.

Anyone got one unused for sale?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

Hey, @WILDB, how is your PP2 at this point?

Asking as I've tried a bunch of things with mine and while some of them were promising, everything eventually reverted to the ping. So I uninstalled mine.

I replaced the PCV valve and can definitely tell that rough idle I had is pretty much gone long term. I also have colder FRP plugs sitting in the garage and entertain the idea of buying and trying PP1. Even though I still have PP2.

But if your cold plugs\pcv experiment didn't last long I'd probably pass.... enough time was already wasted.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Hey, @WILDB, how is your PP2 at this point?

Asking as I've tried a bunch of things with mine and while some of them were promising, everything eventually reverted to the ping. So I uninstalled mine.

I replaced the PCV valve and can definitely tell that rough idle I had is pretty much gone long term. I also have colder FRP plugs sitting in the garage and entertain the idea of buying and trying PP1. Even though I still have PP2.

But if your cold plugs\pcv experiment didn't last long I'd probably pass.... enough time was already wasted.
I installed the new PCV not long after my last post and it had a similar effect to what you describe with the idle etc.

Mine is not pinging anymore - whether it is a coincidence or just luck, I don't know. It is the middle of summer here in Australia at present and the ambient temperatures have been 30+ degrees Celcius, so 90+ Fahrenheit, which previously would have resulted in noticeable pinging.

I guess it's up to you whether you want to reinstall or go with PP1, but my experience has been positive.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I installed the new PCV not long after my last post and it had a similar effect to what you describe with the idle etc.

Mine is not pinging anymore - whether it is a coincidence or just luck, I don't know. It is the middle of summer here in Australia at present and the ambient temperatures have been 30+ degrees Celcius, so 90+ Fahrenheit, which previously would have resulted in noticeable pinging.

I guess it's up to you whether you want to reinstall or go with PP1, but my experience has been positive.
Thanks! Great news! Congrats to you :)

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm going to try and get those plugs fitted this weekend - I'm finally not working night shift for a change. I will update you on the outcome. If it fixes the problem, I'll pass on the supplier I got mine from (based on the Sunshine Coast) - far cheaper than Repco, Supercheap etc.

@WILDB what plugs did you end up using? Do you think it was the plugs that reduced the ping or was it the new PCV valve? I noticed my PCV valve isn't exactly tight.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
@WILDB what plugs did you end up using? Do you think it was the plugs that reduced the ping or was it the new PCV valve? I noticed my PCV valve isn't exactly tight.
I used NGK 6510s.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
For what it is worth I use NGK LTR6BI-13's and do not have pinging.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Hi there,

Recently installed the PP2, and I am having issues with pinging around 1500-2250 RPM and around 30% throttle.

I've been using 91 for about 5 months, and since the tune, have about 7/10 of a tank of 94.

JLT Oil Separator on order, but won't be here for a few weeks.

Also noticed that it seems to be better when the outside temp is lower (in the morning, before the intake temp rises above 30 degrees).

Any suggestions on what to do until the oil separator comes in? I'm skeptical that it will fix the issue, honestly. Already have the "Octane Adjust" setting set to "Y".

Thanks.
Probably not pinging..... Is the VVT system. Will assume it is on light throttle and light on and off throttle? I have it on the Bullitt AND Tundra.... hate it, but is normal.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Probably a combination of the two if I'm honest. One didn't solve it on its own.
Sponsored