Sponsored

Ford PP 2 Pinging

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeow!! that sounds really bad. So bad I would not run that engine. It sounds like it is trying to tell you that it needs some love and I mean right now.
That's not the tick, there's a belt tension TSB out on this. I think OP is talking about the 2k rattle, pretty distinct between 1500-2500 RPMs which is normal. Tick, tension clicking, 2k rattle = "normal" per ford.
Sponsored

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I

I've gone for LTR7IX-11 (6510), one step colder than the stock plug. Should be here tomorrow, so I'll fit them and give it a test. I believe they come gapped to 0.043, I may take that to 0.047 or something, to the lower end of the factory gap range.
What was the outcome?

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
What was the outcome?
I haven't been able to do it yet unfortunately - I've been quite unwell and have had a lot of other stuff going on with work and renovations, so the Mustang hasn't had any attention or use. I've had the plugs sitting there for some time. Will hopefully be getting them fitted within the next couple of weeks.

I see you are in QLD as well - are you having the same issue with yours pinging?

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I haven't been able to do it yet unfortunately - I've been quite unwell and have had a lot of other stuff going on with work and renovations, so the Mustang hasn't had any attention or use. I've had the plugs sitting there for some time. Will hopefully be getting them fitted within the next couple of weeks.

I see you are in QLD as well - are you having the same issue with yours pinging?
Yeah, Mine's been doing it since day 1 of installing the PP2. I'm over pouring $20 of octane booster in every week so removed the kit today and went back to stock.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, Mine's been doing it since day 1 of installing the PP2. I'm over pouring $20 of octane booster in every week so removed the kit today and went back to stock.
Sounds the same story as me. Have you spoken to Herrod about it?

Sponsored

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Went for a drive today. It's so nice to not have that rattle 🥹

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Went for a drive today. It's so nice to not have that rattle 🥹
I'm going to try and get those plugs fitted this weekend - I'm finally not working night shift for a change. I will update you on the outcome. If it fixes the problem, I'll pass on the supplier I got mine from (based on the Sunshine Coast) - far cheaper than Repco, Supercheap etc.

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I'm going to try and get those plugs fitted this weekend - I'm finally not working night shift for a change. I will update you on the outcome. If it fixes the problem, I'll pass on the supplier I got mine from (based on the Sunshine Coast) - far cheaper than Repco, Supercheap etc.
I appreciate it. Good luck not breaking all the plastic clips on the connectors haha

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Amazing how many people have pinging with power packs and ford performance never cared to investigate what is wrong.

There has to be a fix somewhere in the car .

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Amazing how many people have pinging with power packs and ford performance never cared to investigate what is wrong.

There has to be a fix somewhere in the car .
I agree. I wonder if going to a colder plug might do the trick. Waiting to see if @WILDB has good results.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I agree. I wonder if going to a colder plug might do the trick. Waiting to see if @WILDB has good results.
I ve done a bunch of research a couple years ago. Another driver in my area - same fuel, same basic car. But he did not have detonation whereus I had to revert bsck to stock.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Back when I still had the pp2 installed one of the experiments I've done - per someone's suggestion from gen 1 coyote powerpacks - replace vent system with breathers. For a couple of days I drove with breathers I did not hear detonation, but I also coukd not bear gas smell in cabin and also engine had some oil on it. So I reverted that setup and also pp2 itself.

Now I think - I should try to replsce PCv valve. It's cheap, essy to replace and faulty valve can potentially cause more air behind msf sensor with lean air/fuel mixture.

I ordered a new pcv valve already. Might try to reinstall pp2 as well. This will not be done soon though.

So if someone has pp2 and it detonates give new pcv valve a try. It's like $7-10 and supposed to be super easy to replace.

Another hint into this direction is that detonation rpm range with pp is not typical. Detonation due to low octane fuel is supposed to be well under 3000 rpms and non existent above 3K.

2.5-3.5k detonation rande might be dou to faulty pcv valve opening too much undrer conditiins.

This is all just theory though.

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Back when I still had the pp2 installed one of the experiments I've done - per someone's suggestion from gen 1 coyote powerpacks - replace vent system with breathers. For a couple of days I drove with breathers I did not hear detonation, but I also coukd not bear gas smell in cabin and also engine had some oil on it. So I reverted that setup and also pp2 itself.

Now I think - I should try to replsce PCv valve. It's cheap, essy to replace and faulty valve can potentially cause more air behind msf sensor with lean air/fuel mixture.

I ordered a new pcv valve already. Might try to reinstall pp2 as well. This will not be done soon though.

So if someone has pp2 and it detonates give new pcv valve a try. It's like $7-10 and supposed to be super easy to replace.

Another hint into this direction is that detonation rpm range with pp is not typical. Detonation due to low octane fuel is supposed to be well under 3000 rpms and non existent above 3K.

2.5-3.5k detonation rande might be dou to faulty pcv valve opening too much undrer conditiins.

This is all just theory though.
That's interesting. The tune is very sensitive to octane. It's quite possible you were getting fuel dilution. Crankcase oil vapors can lower octane of the air/fuel mixture on the intake. The breathers helped prevent this. I have the Ford Perf oil catch can but I still get a small amount of oil coating the PCV return line to the intake. The catch can collects a couple table spoons of liquid each season.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
That's interesting. The tune is very sensitive to octane. It's quite possible you were getting fuel dilution. Crankcase oil vapors can lower octane of the air/fuel mixture on the intake. The breathers helped prevent this. I have the Ford Perf oil catch can but I still get a small amount of oil coating the PCV return line to the intake. The catch can collects a couple table spoons of liquid each season.
Breathers eliminate oil in the intake as well as crankcase air itself. Oil is being transferred in the intake as part of air\gas\oil mixture. So if breathers eliminate detonation it could be oil, or it could be extra air\gad or both.

As far as oil part of it goes -after removing breathers - I even connected two oil separators sequentially. Ford performance with aftermarket one I have. This did not help.

BTW, if you call ford performance and complain on detonation this is the only suggestion they give - get a catch can. Do not know anyone who would be actually helped with this solution though.

Faulty pcv might deliver more overall oil\air volume under load. That's the theory I have.
Sponsored