Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I just want to add that I have had no drivability issues with this kit. Then again I pretty much run 94+ octane in the car. I add 3 gallons of E85 and 2 gallons of VP101 or Unleaded Octanium
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've never understood how since 2012, Ford has sold an aftermarket tune so aggressive it is lean AND knocks noticeably, particularly for a car that's so aggressive stock. For a Gen 3 the aftermarket options are probably a better option, particularly with an E85 option.
After my experience with the this tune.... I would agree 100%. Except, I believe it's not running lean, it's overly aggressive timing. Bitch knocks like a Jehovah's witness. I would have done an E85 tune instead, but there is none where I live.
Yeah, one thing I could never figure out is how a few degrees of borderline turns my usual -2 to -4KR into +5 or 6 with no other changes.

Given the 91 here is wack and there's no E85 without me buying it by the expensive drum, I don't even see the point of doing an aftermarket tune since the stock clearly is already using up all the margin that exists. Maybe one of these days I can get PCMTec or something and reconfigure the FP tune to remove most of that low end torque so that I have the best elements of both tunes.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just want to add that I have had no drivability issues with this kit. Then again I pretty much run 94+ octane in the car. I add 3 gallons of E85 and 2 gallons of VP101 or Unleaded Octanium
Maybe one of these days you can log the difference in KR on a summer day between your usual blend and straight California 91 piss water lol. I remember the one time I used boostane the car felt like a complete animal.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
No issues with mine either, close to 7,000 miles on it. Pretty much only fill up with 91 octane from Costco.

Doug

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe one of these days you can log the difference in KR on a summer day between your usual blend and straight California 91 piss water lol. I remember the one time I used boostane the car felt like a complete animal.
Ice I am actually selling the Mustang. The buyer is picking her up this week.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have know Driving issues at all i used 93 octane it's not the best tune by far but i like it
No issues with mine either, close to 7,000 miles on it. Pretty much only fill up with 91 octane from Costco.

Doug
I don't have any issues besides the occasional noises at part throttle. Car does run great and the gains are felt. So I'm not trying to crap on the tune and I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. It's just the little details along with the noise that I mentioned in other posts that are holding me back at this point. I'm still glad I got the kit though.
Ice I am actually selling the Mustang. The buyer is picking her up this week.
Dang, well I'm glad you got to enjoy it to the fullest with no issues!

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Never had any pinging with mine, have been running this kit for a little over 3 years now.

No issues at all with anything related to this kit here. I only use Shell 93.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Can also chime in and add to others like geep81,
Dave2013M3
, who have no issues with this tune. For a relatively mild calibration, it's been great for the past 3 years, in the full spectrum of ambient temps. Absolutely no regrets. Mostly use 91 and occasionally 93/94, (all always top tier) and when it drinks that, the thing hauls like a freight train once you're in the meat of the torque.

For those that the tune hasn't played nicely, I wonder what it is about those individual vehicles, especially where no other mods are done where one would think there would be conflicts. Fuel quality also doesn't seem to be a reliable factor.

ice445 - I've followed your saga with the issues you've experienced, and it's been informative yet also frustrating (sure I don't need to tell you) that the cal hasn't played nice. Really wonder what it boils down to.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a lot of the reason why I haven't had any pinging is I never ran 91 octane in my car. I've always run 93 plus usually around 94 to 94.5 octane with a blend of race gas and E85

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Can also chime in and add to others like geep81,
Dave2013M3
, who have no issues with this tune. For a relatively mild calibration, it's been great for the past 3 years, in the full spectrum of ambient temps. Absolutely no regrets. Mostly use 91 and occasionally 93/94, (all always top tier) and when it drinks that, the thing hauls like a freight train once you're in the meat of the torque.

For those that the tune hasn't played nicely, I wonder what it is about those individual vehicles, especially where no other mods are done where one would think there would be conflicts. Fuel quality also doesn't seem to be a reliable factor.

ice445 - I've followed your saga with the issues you've experienced, and it's been informative yet also frustrating (sure I don't need to tell you) that the cal hasn't played nice. Really wonder what it boils down to.
Yeah, it seems like some vehicles have an underlying issue that makes them rely more on fuel quality. I've had a few other people PM me about trying to resolve ping, so it's not just me and StangTime. With that said, I at least got it to where it works fine most of the time. It's just driving around town when everything gets hot that I hear it. I can always see the knock on logs though (which is normal, much like stock tune on 87). So very perplexing why it makes noise sometimes and not others....

I'm glad you've been able to fully enjoy it though. That one time I used boostane it was a rocket, so if only I had 93...

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yeah, it seems like some vehicles have an underlying issue that makes them rely more on fuel quality. I've had a few other people PM me about trying to resolve ping, so it's not just me and StangTime. With that said, I at least got it to where it works fine most of the time. It's just driving around town when everything gets hot that I hear it. I can always see the knock on logs though (which is normal, much like stock tune on 87). So very perplexing why it makes noise sometimes and not others....

I'm glad you've been able to fully enjoy it though. That one time I used boostane it was a rocket, so if only I had 93...
Thanks. Yes, you're echoing my broad stroke thoughts about what could be making some cars more grumpy.

I know PCV valves were discussed, but do you run a catch can? One thing I will say, I've run a catch can since new and pre-tune. Post-tune, I had to replace my FP catch can with a new UPR (since the FP one no longer fit, due to the throttle body stack-up alignment [ StangTime - I think you did a great write-up on modding your existing FP can hoses and relocate?])
Anyway, catch cans/separators are always debated but I will say they work in my experience over many yrs. From the time I had to drive the car with just factory pcv hose installed, while waiting for the UPR can, when giving it full beans, I could feel what was likely the blowby causing some timing being pulled, but never any knocking from what I could discern. Kit was installed in the heat of summer. Installed the UPR can shortly after, all has been smooth sailing since. Blowby is definitely causing a reduction in effective octane in the combustion chamber. Ignore this, Ryan, if you've already tried the above, as I can't recall in the dozens of posts).

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks. Yes, you're echoing my broad stroke thoughts about what could be making some cars more grumpy.

I know PCV valves were discussed, but do you run a catch can? One thing I will say, I've run a catch can since new and pre-tune. Post-tune, I had to replace my FP catch can with a new UPR (since the FP one no longer fit, due to the throttle body stack-up alignment [ StangTime - I think you did a great write-up on modding your existing FP can hoses and relocate?])
Anyway, catch cans/separators are always debated but I will say they work in my experience over many yrs. From the time I had to drive the car with just factory pcv hose installed, while waiting for the UPR can, when giving it full beans, I could feel what was likely the blowby causing some timing being pulled, but never any knocking from what I could discern. Kit was installed in the heat of summer. Installed the UPR can shortly after, all has been smooth sailing since. Blowby is definitely causing a reduction in effective octane in the combustion chamber. Ignore this, Ryan, if you've already tried the above, as I can't recall in the dozens of posts).
Yeah, I've run a mishimoto catch can with the kit. Not since changing spark plugs though. Maybe I'll mess with it again at some point, but I might not after all the work I already put in lol
Sponsored