Ford oil catch cans

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
hey guys, I am going to be the only one to differ?
Why do you need oil separators ? To make some X company proffits ?
I think they *might* be useful when there is a supercharger involved that gets bathed in oil, but this car a.is not supercharged, less crank pressure to push oil vapor in, and b.there is nothing to protect, no supercharger...

Vapors and oil gets burned in the pistons. OK, a bit more oil, I like that there is a lubing factor. Remember 2 stroke engines, have oil in fuel for lubrication? Some of that effect is here.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I was contemplating buying them Bob's separators.. I had them on the 2013 GT500 which the Gt350 replaced...
Cheers...
I had over 5oz of oil in my passenger side separator between oil changes, which was less than 2500 miles.

picture.jpg
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a thread that compares and contrasts the most popular Oil Separators from the different companies?

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
Is there a thread that compares and contrasts the most popular Oil Separators from the different companies?
I'm glad you asked this. I'm looking to get catch cans and like the factory look of the FP cans, but it seems draining them is a hassle. I guess instead of removing them I could suck the oil out. I would be interested in opinions of the available options.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Bob's oil separator I used on my Gt500, and it is very easy to empty... you can have them in black also.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Oil will still get into the intake tract. It will reduce your octane, gum up the intake ports, carbon and gum up the throttle body, etc. it's cheap insurance to a cleaner intake. At the very least get one on the right side (passenger side).
Also this isn't a 2 stroke, 2 strokes do not have splash or pressure oil systems.
Thanks, I will probably buy a passenger side, but I am still not convinced they are needed. :)

Why BMW has none from factory, nor does Audi ? Ok, Audi performs a similar function in their cam cover, but it routes that to the turbo intake ( I have a turbo A4) so it gets pushed into the engine via the turbo... It is oily if you check it, plenty of gases with oil content gets there...My A4 has 132k miles, and it's boosted with a custom software, spins all 4 wheels in first gear being a quattro.

BMW N54 engine is a twin turbo, and has no catch can. People have installed them trying to reduce the intake cams contamination and no change, they still get gunked up.
I sold mine at 130k miles, it was burning no oil , and running like a champ. No catch can.

I can go over and over with other cars I owned, a few M3's and a V10 M5 ... VW GTI, V6 and turbo... I only heard this in Ford land :)

Not trying to crash a party here, just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not sure if anyone addressed this yet. Newer passenger side separators come WITHOUT the wire harness hole mount. According to FP it's because they were having issues with mounts cracking due to the hole so they changed the design. Just a little FYI. Happy modding people.
I had the FR separators. Highly engineered pieces using the latest in composite construction with a high tech filter/screening element. One of them had a molding flaw that Ford Racing took care of immediately. I did have an issue with a fracture that originated at the hole cast in for the harness push pin (these were installed at near freezing ambient temperatures which no doubt had an impact). I was put in contact with the engineer responsible for them and he's a great guy. He sent me a replacement for that as well. I did make a few suggestions, including eliminating the hole as it reduced the available cross sectional thickness on one of the cantilevered support arms. He listened to everything I had to say and responded in kind.

So it is very interesting to see that they have since eliminated the hole. Tells me that Ford Racing listens which impresses the heck out of me. That said, I now run the separators from Bob's (their "ultimate" kit - braided hose, AN fittings, etc) and am very happy with it. The one change I wish FR would make would be a drain. Both of my Bob's separators have petcocks on them making draining simple and clean.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Thanks, I will probably buy a passenger side, but I am still not convinced they are needed. :)
You want this going back into your intake/throttle body/manifold every 2000 miles? Even Ford recommends using them for track days. ;)

By the way, my car hasn't seen a track day yet... I'd hate to see how much oil was in there if it had.

picture.jpg

Our SRT8 catch can collects even more oil than the GT350.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I'm not convinced either. Based on my review, the passenger side PCV, which apparently is the one most needed, enters the intake tract after the throttle body, so gumming it up from this side is not likely. The drivers side PCV enters before the throttle body, but, since in normal driving, this can seems to stay empty, it is also not needed, IMO.

I checked my lines: the passenger side has a slight evidence of oil and the drivers side was bone dry. I think I'll pass. For track driving, I'd say the drivers side is the one to get, if not both.

Last edited:

blkguyblk5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Just picked up the UPR kit for both sides for my GT350. Highly recommend UPR. I had it on my 2016 5.0 and it caught half an ounce of oil in 1500 miles.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Went to Midas Saturday and got a quote for around 250 on the delete. Seems high, but I got a quote for 450 from a specialty shop. The Owner/Mechanic thought the delete would do nothing for sound unless it was baffled to start with and I remember reading that it is. I mentioned going SS, but he recommending using aluminized steel instead and they have 2.75.
Getting it done next Friday.

BTW, I finally figured out that you can put 350 in reverse at start up and you don't get the sport mode sound. Will do it in AM for sake of neighbors.
:cheers:

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Went to Midas Saturday and got a quote for around 250 on the delete. Seems high, but I got a quote for 450 from a specialty shop. The Owner/Mechanic thought the delete would do nothing for sound unless it was baffled to start with and I remember reading that it is. I mentioned going SS, but he recommending using aluminized steel instead and they have 2.75.
Getting it done next Friday.

BTW, I finally figured out that you can put 350 in reverse at start up and you don't get the sport mode sound. Will do it in AM for sake of neighbors.
:cheers:
If anyone recommends aluminized steel over stainless steel, walk away. I'd be looking at another actual performance shop. Likely to get better craftsmanship, better materials and less likely to have something effed up. I've had an entire catback built out of 3" stainless (single) and muffler and resonator welded in for 500.. so yes that's high. Lol

That's about 400 in labor he's wanting to charge for an hours worth of work.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If anyone recommends aluminized steel over stainless steel, walk away. I'd be looking at another actual performance shop. Likely to get better craftsmanship, better materials and less likely to have something effed up. I've had an entire catback built out of 3" stainless (single) and muffler and resonator welded in for 500.. so yes that's high. Lol

That's about 400 in labor he's wanting to charge for an hours worth of work.
Thanks. Very good answer. I meant to put this in another thread.
I was told it would take 1.5 to 2 hours to do.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
You want this going back into your intake/throttle body/manifold every 2000 miles? Even Ford recommends using them for track days. ;)

By the way, my car hasn't seen a track day yet... I'd hate to see how much oil was in there if it had.

picture.jpg

Our SRT8 catch can collects even more oil than the GT350.

Some people just don't get it.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Picked up the Bobs cans. Had them on all my other cars and they worked great. Easy installs which is nice. Id like to find the fittings so i dont need to cut any lines to get them off.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered the Passenger Side JLT Separator
Sponsored