MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I
probably not helpful but i got the JLT passenger side for $139 and installed it in 15 seconds. no joke. it feels really well built too.
I got the JLT and slapped it in when I got the car home from the dealer. It does its job well and is a well built product definitely.
Alright, reviving an old thread. Can someone explain to me why it is or isn’t beneficial to have a catch can system with a check valve? Which catch cans for the GT350 do and don’t have a check valve? Would this just create one more part that can fail? Seems like the check valve failing/shutting under load would not be good.
I'm not sure what catch cans use a check valve, and what the advantage of that would be other than not allowing oil to bypass the can when the reservoir gets full. Like I said in my above post, I have the JLT 3.0 and it's about 80% full when I do my oil changes at 3K miles. As long as you keep an eye on it then you won't have to worry about the can overfilling.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I

I got the JLT and slapped it in when I got the car home from the dealer. It does its job well and is a well built product definitely.

I'm not sure what catch cans use a check valve, and what the advantage of that would be other than not allowing oil to bypass the can when the reservoir gets full. Like I said in my above post, I have the JLT 3.0 and it's about 80% full when I do my oil changes at 3K miles. As long as you keep an eye on it then you won't have to worry about the can overfilling.
I agree with MikeMM not sure what the purpose of a check valve would be. Since I use the catch can only on the vacuum side of the system I don't see it ever developing a situation where there would be backward flow. I also use the JLT and its a great product...simple, looks good and not the "movie" the Ford unit is. I give it a big :like:

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350 • 2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon
I agree with MikeMM not sure what the purpose of a check valve would be. Since I use the catch can only on the vacuum side of the system I don't see it ever developing a situation where there would be backward flow. I also use the JLT and its a great product...simple, looks good and not the "movie" the Ford unit is. I give it a big :like:
Yeah I like the idea of going with the Ford Performance catch cans for the sake of keeping things oem/Ford parts, but I really don’t like the capacity or emptying process. Looking at JLT, but also Bobs and UPR because of their sizes and drain features.

I’m planning on keeping the car veeeeery long term and adding a new car to my garage in the future rather than replacing the Shelby, so I’m looking at getting catch cans on both sides for peace of mind.

My concern is that Bobs and JLT are a little bulky on the drivers side which can get in the way of the dipstick from what I’ve seen, but the UPR has some kind of slimmed down design that connects right to the valve cover and drains any oil collected back in. Only thing is that the UPR incorporates a check valve and I don’t like the idea of an extra part that can fail and cause trouble that’s not covered by warranty.

Might just go Bobs at this point and deal with the bulky drivers side being in the way a little. I’ve read that the Ford Performance track event GT350’s had dual Bobs catch cans installed, so if FP thinks they’re good I don’t see why I’d have issues.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Alright, reviving an old thread. Can someone explain to me why it is or isn’t beneficial to have a catch can system with a check valve? Which catch cans for the GT350 do and don’t have a check valve? Would this just create one more part that can fail? Seems like the check valve failing/shutting under load would not be good.
There are two ways a check valve could be installed in a catch can. The first is to stop back-flow from the PCV system itself. For that purpose the PCV valve on the valve cover IS a check valve, so the catch can doesn't need a second one. The other option would be a valve at the bottom of the reservoir to allow the catch can to drain oil back into the oil pan when there's no vacuum applied. That would be worth having, but the plumbing isn't simple.

Sponsored

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350 • 2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon
There are two ways a check valve could be installed in a catch can. The first is to stop back-flow from the PCV system itself. For that purpose the PCV valve on the valve cover IS a check valve, so the catch can doesn't need a second one. The other option would be a valve at the bottom of the reservoir to allow the catch can to drain oil back into the oil pan when there's no vacuum applied. That would be worth having, but the plumbing isn't simple.
Makes sense. I’m new around here and not too knowledgeable about the different part manufacturers for these cars, any idea which of these UPR is referencing with their check valve?

I’ve had the car for just a month now and am trying to figure everything out. I’m coming from an evo that I modified quite a bit so that’s really where all my knowledge is at.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Makes sense. I’m new around here and not too knowledgeable about the different part manufacturers for these cars, any idea which of these UPR is referencing with their check valve?

I’ve had the car for just a month now and am trying to figure everything out. I’m coming from an evo that I modified quite a bit so that’s really where all my knowledge is at.
I took a quick look at the UPR website - the check valve seems to be a necessary component when you have a boosted setup. They don't say it, but it's not required for a naturally aspirated setup like the GT350. It won't do any harm, but it won't help either.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Just a quick heads up as the Check vales just 100% eliminate any vacuum positive pressure pulses on naturally aspirated cars. They just help smoothe the idle out a bit more and with minimal benefits. As far as comparing UPR to other kits we just work on controlling the oil and the best coalescing and condensing internally through a balanced flow between airspeed and volume. The other kits out there get a lot more residue build up of oil on the exit line than the UPR system and that is a sign of the oil being pulled through the can and exit line. This is another reason we have gone through so much to develop multiple chambers and stages in each chamber along with the diffuser system.

We do offer small simple UPR plug n play™ engine mount catch cans and they are not our recommended or first choice as sitting on the engine means multiple benefits are removed. Short line are not beneficial to coalescing nor is having the catch can being superheated by being installed above the engine as all the heat rises and the catch can sees excessive temperatures being mounted in the hottest location. Mounting the catch can in such a hot location forces the oil to stay in the finest vapor/mist and this always allows oil to be pulled through the catch can and out the exit.

The mounting location on our catch cans always incorporates more line and a remote mounting location on the higher performance vehicles as the demand and ability to generate heat is greatly increased over regular trucks, suvs, and passenger vehicles that have less demand. I just wanted to share this so everyone has a better understanding of the PCV and catch can systems and proper mounting locations. UPR chooses to incorporate UPR check valves, UPR plug n play™ UPR fittings, braided lines, UPR billet hose ends, and many other upgrades to be sure we are delivering an OEM style system using the highest quality components along with the best performance for coalescing and condensing.

Feel free to ask me any questions, Joe

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Just a heads up on the WR/Peterson breather tank and breathers in general. Simple breather tank systems that eliminate the PCV system and the vacuum that's used to increase ring seal and improve overall performance and drivability are not beneficial to performance or efficiency. Many people use them because they don't understand the benefits of the factory PCV system. New cars require the PCV system to be able to harness their benefits and deliver vacuum for crankcase evacuation to keep it in a negative vacuum state only second to a vacuum pump.

I wanted to share this as more and more tuners are seeing the true benefits of leaving the PCV system intact. Breather tanks are mostly used on engines with blow by or poor ring seal. The manifold vacuum from an efficient PCV system can compound or amplify oil scavenging through the PCV lines and without a proper catch can system/oil separator it will be very hard to control. This is the biggest reason so many people run breather tanks. The stock or lightly modded GT350 needs should run a UPR Catch Can on the dirty side and a UPR CSS = Clean Side Separator on the driver side. ( Dual UPR Catch Cans on modded engines is a must as they have a much higher demand on the Cleans Side.)

Small Catch Cans that mount on the engine will always suck oil through them and never deliver the best protection. The PCV system is a critical component to a finely tuned engine just as the scavenging effects it provides are critical for ring seal and delivering the BEST overall performance and efficiency. I think the GT350 should be at the top of the list for maintaining the benefits of modern technology.

It does look like a nice simple breather tank on a very clean engine bay though. Only voicing my experience with PCV systems and the benefits they deliver.

Joe

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just a heads up on the WR/Peterson breather tank and breathers in general. Simple breather tank systems that eliminate the PCV system and the vacuum that's used to increase ring seal and improve overall performance and drivability are not beneficial to performance or efficiency. Many people use them because they don't understand the benefits of the factory PCV system. New cars require the PCV system to be able to harness their benefits and deliver vacuum for crankcase evacuation to keep it in a negative vacuum state only second to a vacuum pump.

I wanted to share this as more and more tuners are seeing the true benefits of leaving the PCV system intact. Breather tanks are mostly used on engines with blow by or poor ring seal. The manifold vacuum from an efficient PCV system can compound or amplify oil scavenging through the PCV lines and without a proper catch can system/oil separator it will be very hard to control. This is the biggest reason so many people run breather tanks. The stock or lightly modded GT350 needs should run a UPR Catch Can on the dirty side and a UPR CSS = Clean Side Separator on the driver side. ( Dual UPR Catch Cans on modded engines is a must as they have a much higher demand on the Cleans Side.)

Small Catch Cans that mount on the engine will always suck oil through them and never deliver the best protection. The PCV system is a critical component to a finely tuned engine just as the scavenging effects it provides are critical for ring seal and delivering the BEST overall performance and efficiency. I think the GT350 should be at the top of the list for maintaining the benefits of modern technology.

It does look like a nice simple breather tank on a very clean engine bay though. Only voicing my experience with PCV systems and the benefits they deliver.

Joe
Putting this a slightly different way, the stock system is engineered so that ALL of the clean air that's measured by the MAF on its way into the engine can only leave the engine by going through the intake manifold into the cylinders and out the exhaust. Any air that bypasses the intake manifold and goes into the crankcase via the driver's side crankcase vent tube eventually ends up leaving the crankcase and going into the intake manifold via the PCV valve on the passenger's side of the engine. It's a sealed system, and anything that breaks the seal can cause problems.

This is why leaving your dipstick slightly out of position or running a vented catch can is likely to generate a CEL. Air that's measured on its way into the engine via the MAF is able to exit the engine without going through the cylinders and out the exhaust past the O2 sensors. Because the ECU has measured that air, it will deliver fuel to the cylinders to maintain the AFR. But, since some air leaves the engine without going into a cylinder, the fuel that's there for it doesn't get burned and this makes the engine run rich. Now, the stock calibration has short-term and long-term fuel trims that use the O2 sensor data to compensate for the missing air, but these trims have limits. If the fuel trims drift outside the "normal" range for long enough, you'll eventually end up with a check engine light because of the missing air.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Shelby GT350 TY
Just a quick heads up as the Check vales just 100% eliminate any vacuum positive pressure pulses on naturally aspirated cars. They just help smoothe the idle out a bit more and with minimal benefits. As far as comparing UPR to other kits we just work on controlling the oil and the best coalescing and condensing internally through a balanced flow between airspeed and volume. The other kits out there get a lot more residue build up of oil on the exit line than the UPR system and that is a sign of the oil being pulled through the can and exit line. This is another reason we have gone through so much to develop multiple chambers and stages in each chamber along with the diffuser system.

We do offer small simple UPR plug n play™ engine mount catch cans and they are not our recommended or first choice as sitting on the engine means multiple benefits are removed. Short line are not beneficial to coalescing nor is having the catch can being superheated by being installed above the engine as all the heat rises and the catch can sees excessive temperatures being mounted in the hottest location. Mounting the catch can in such a hot location forces the oil to stay in the finest vapor/mist and this always allows oil to be pulled through the catch can and out the exit.

The mounting location on our catch cans always incorporates more line and a remote mounting location on the higher performance vehicles as the demand and ability to generate heat is greatly increased over regular trucks, suvs, and passenger vehicles that have less demand. I just wanted to share this so everyone has a better understanding of the PCV and catch can systems and proper mounting locations. UPR chooses to incorporate UPR check valves, UPR plug n play™ UPR fittings, braided lines, UPR billet hose ends, and many other upgrades to be sure we are delivering an OEM style system using the highest quality components along with the best performance for coalescing and condensing.

Feel free to ask me any questions, Joe
Can you break down the options shown on your site for your catch cans? Perhaps they are obvious to others but not me. I was looking for an explanation of each, what it does. Also are some options in place of others? I like what I see and may order. My car has about 1500 miles on it. Unlikely it’ll see much or any track time but still might add this. Thank you!
Sponsored