Sponsored

Ford oil catch cans

Agcsr25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 track pack
Slightly off topic but I just had a friend tell me about GM voiding a powertrain warranty on a Camaro for having an oil catch can. Apparently engine lost oil pressure and GM will not honor warranty due to oil catch can. This is the link he sent me.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361

Makes you wonder about the GT350 and some of the engine failures with some sounding like an oil system issue.
Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I clicked on the link. Way more than I care to read re: Camaro. The chance of Ford voiding a warranty because of this part is less than zero. That also appears to be the value of the driver side catch can.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I just used a screw for mine because the push pin was such a pain in the ass.
Well that didn't work...the screw is missing :lol:
I'm just leaving it alone without anything. It still feels sturdy enough.

My driver's side was also bone dry after about 800 miles. Passenger side had a little bit in there though. I didn't measure how much exactly but it was enough that made me happy I bought an oil separator.

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
what about the other side?
I haven't opened it up because there is too much in the way to take the top off like the driver's side, and I didn't have a good tool to try to syringe anything out.

Like the above^^^ and looking at the residue in the hose, I expect there to be a little in the passenger can but not enough to bother trying to dump it yet.

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
Slightly off topic but I just had a friend tell me about GM voiding a powertrain warranty on a Camaro for having an oil catch can. Apparently engine lost oil pressure and GM will not honor warranty due to oil catch can. This is the link he sent me.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361

Makes you wonder about the GT350 and some of the engine failures with some sounding like an oil system issue.
Given that Ford recommends adding the catch cans, they probably can't refuse warranty work for doing so.....

Sponsored

drainey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt 350, magnetic with white strip
change oil at 740 mi. Installed Ford performance catch cans at around 100 mi. Serviced both catch cans. Passenger side took one blue towel full to remove oil. Driver side dry.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Just completed a 2,000 mile trip. My driver side Ford Racing was bone dry as well.

If it matters, I went back and forth a couple of months ago with the engineer at Ford Racing tasked with designing these when one of the separators I received was defective. He took care of me - immediately. He shared quite a bit of information regarding these pieces but I think this portion was most relevant to the discussion at hand...

As for performance, you'll experience a couple of ounces of accumulation on the RH over ~5K miles of normal driving. The LH may stay dry. At the track , the LH will fill quicker than the RH due to hard cornering events and the baffling within the camcovers.

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
On the passenger side I took some needle nose pliers and twisted the wire zip tie connector back out, moved it down an inch and then reused by reinstalling the zip connector. No problem. The tiny screwdriver under the zip didn't work for me either so I just pulled the zip out in the opposite direction with the needle nose pliers.
On the driver side I couldn't get the supplied push pin to install with the existing insulation (yes, R's have that insulation). You'd think Ford would include the appropriate length push pin with the kit. I just reused the original push pin that I had carefully removed. It's long enough and works like a champ.

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
Did anyone come up with the part number for the replacement green O-Ring in the connector tubes? I'd like to pick up some spares. Thanks

Sponsored

VoodooMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Big 3
It's been about a month and +/- 1000 miles since I put the driver's side on, so I opened up to take a look. Bone dry. Does that tell me anything?

For anyone interested, here's what it looks like inside:

Tells you that you haven't driven the car hard.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's been about a month and +/- 1000 miles since I put the driver's side on, so I opened up to take a look. Bone dry. Does that tell me anything?
I just checked mine yesterday. My driver's side was also bone dry, but the passenger side had almost 1/2 inch of oil in it.

I think Ford has said that the driver's side will fill during track use, and the passenger side more so on the street. I did have an autocross day, but IMO that doesn't really count as track use. I think I have over 4,000 miles with the passenger side installed and probably only 2,000 miles since I put in the driver's side.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I just checked mine at 4000 miles. I installed them at @500 miles or so. I did a 2 day track event. The drivers side was damp but no measurable oil. The passenger side had 60 CC or so of oil I removed with a syringe.
Sponsored