First GT500 oil change

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No, its not click bait.....

So today I changed my oil in my GT500. Typically what I do in my GT350Rs after an oil change or if the car sits for a while is to hold in the clutch and press the throttle all the way to the floor. This results in a failed start attempt. I do this twice and the oil pressure builds up substantially.

Today i tried this trick with the GT500 after an oil change. After 3 start attempts, the oil pressure got up to about 60 PSI. I then started the car normally. There was no delay in oil pressure like you would see after an oil change.

To me, it seems that turning the car over primes the oil system and the engine is not running without oil while the OPG primes and pumps.

Thoughts?

By the way, the oil was very clean with no signs of contaminants. Sample is off to blackstone labs for analysis.

20201116_151220.jpg

20201116_165145.jpg
Sponsored

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
Haven't been following here as much lately as I have a bolt through my front tire and my local dealer acts like they have no clue what tires are. According to them Ford doesn't have any 2020 GT500 tire in their system. They ask me for every spec of tire. Down to speed rating. Pretty sure the only Ford with my size and spec is for the GT500. Yes I l know they search whatever (we owned dealerships). But parts and service. Talked to 4 people combined have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

How many Miles did you change oil at? And If I remember correctly I have a couple oil filters for the gt350 still in storage. If they are different from the gt500 let me know if you need some. Think I have 2.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
IT'S ALL WRONG TOM! In all seriousness it's a good thing to do if you want to do it like that. We would pull the fuse on our hondas to stop the fuel pump. It's how we built up oil pressure before we started it up when we had new built motors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Haven't been following here as much lately as I have a bolt through my front tire and my local dealer acts like they have no clue what tires are. According to them Ford doesn't have any 2020 GT500 tire in their system. They ask me for every spec of tire. Down to speed rating. Pretty sure the only Ford with my size and spec is for the GT500. Yes I l know they search whatever (we owned dealerships). But parts and service. Talked to 4 people combined have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

How many Miles did you change oil at? And If I remember correctly I have a couple oil filters for the gt350 still in storage. If they are different from the gt500 let me know if you need some. Think I have 2.
The filter is part 2087. The GT350 filters used to be 2062, but they had incidences where they would collapse, so they reinforced the inside of the filter and increased the price by 3 fold.

I changed mine at 500 miles. I do that with all my cars to get the break in oil out and to get an initial indication of how the engine is doing bt sending off for analysis.

Sorry about your tire. If it is a cup 2, yes they are specific to FP and the GT500. I went through the same thing with one of my GT350Rs. The tires were cracked and they had no clue how to order them.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000

Ford part number for the front GT500 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S
9OO4 73134
Ford part number for the front GT500 CFTP MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2
9OO4 49942

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
IT'S ALL WRONG TOM! In all seriousness it's a good thing to do if you want to do it like that. We would pull the fuse on our hondas to stop the fuel pump. It's how we built up oil pressure before we started it up when we had new built motors.
Lol, I know. It seems to make a difference. You can hear it in the engine as the oil pressure increases. I figure its better to have it turned over not under combustion as the oil pressure gets a head start. The most you will is about 50 psi or so in the 350. The 500 saw 60 psi.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
That procedure makes perfect sense, Tom and I plan to adopt it...thanks.

KB
The only thing that leaves me with any concern whatsoever would be starter duty limitations. I dont know how many times you can crank it over without overloading or overheating the starting motor and cables.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I have caught the oil coming out of the oil filter during a change. I poured it back into the he old filter and had about a 1/4 cup left over.

If the new filter is full the system is missing about a quarter cup on a gen 1 coyote.

I would lean towards just firing the car up because the question is longer slower rpm time without oil vs shorter higher rpm time without oil. I personally would lean on residual oil lasting a short time and just go with startup. Don’t know that it really matters either way.
Yes, I considered all that. There is residual oil all over the critical parts and wear isnt a huge concern, but as you mentioned, there is a lot of oil needed to fill the filter canister. The belly pan makes a canister prefil very dificult without making a horrible mess.

IMHO, the wear would be worse under power. The forces on bearings and other components are much higher under load.

Engine builders use a pre oiler system where they pressurize the engine oil system to get oil circulated around the entire engine before starting. I dont know what sustained psi would be needed to achieve a total engine lube, but i feel that some pressure is better than none.

I've started cars right after an oil change and have noticed the significant amount of time it takes to see a rise in oil pressure. Yesterday, oil pressure was immediate.

I have seen this discussed before and some say its beneficial while others say it is insignificant. It is my opinion that if I am seeing a significant increase in oil pressure after turning the engine over, that it is beneficial. There was an old TV commercial that went something like this.... starting your car is the worst thing you can do.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
There's an oil film in the bearings regardless after a change. Once the engine fires, it's got pressure immediately, and faster than the starter spinning it over.

The only time I prime an engine is prior to a first fire. After that it's not anything to worry about, in my opinion. Filling the oil filter would be all I'd really do if I was worried.

Nothing wrong with being cautious, though. You do you, as they say.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
I wouldn't worry about the starter. Its such a heavy duty item. That is one car part that I've never had fail on any car I've owned. As long as you're not letting it turn over for long periods of time without the car starting it's not something to even worry about.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
In my youth, we would get distributor shafts from a junk yard for the popular engines and after rebuilding a motor, we'd chuck one of those shafts up in a drill and run the oil pump for about five minutes before firing it up. Same concept, just a bit more work. :-)

KB

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I have changed the oil twice so far, once at 500 miles and again at 1500 miles (I now have 3200 miles) and the only thing I have done was to fill the oil filter canister with oil. I did not prime the engine in any way and I noticed both times the oil pressure was immediately at full pressure, in a second or less.

One thing I do though is change my oil when the engine is warm, usually about two hours after driving it. Just enough time to be able to handle the oil canister without it being too hot. I feel, if you change the oil after it has sat overnight there is less oil on all the moving parts than when it has only been a couple of hours. Of course all of this could just be in my head and there is nothing to doing it this way but it is what I have always done.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
In most electronic fuel injected engines, when you hold the gas pedal to the floor and then turn the key (push the button) the engine turns over without spark or fuel. So it is the perfect way to prime the oil system if you don't have a dedicated electric oil pump for priming.
Sponsored