Engine Tick Preventive Measures

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can't find 93 anywhere close to where I live. The closest place I remember is Fredericksburg TX, which is exactly 500 miles away from my house. My question is how much less power does the Coyote make with 91 over 93? Just curious. And yes, I'm aware I'm losing about 3% for every 1K of my 4K' of altitude, which is probably the reason no 93 is available here.
The difference is pretty negligible at sea level unless it's extremely hot outside and you're pushing the car hard for long periods. Most people don't realize this but altitude in itself is an octane booster. Less oxygen molecules to combust effectively raises the octane of a fuel slightly. That's why most rocky mountain states have 91 only.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I was referring to an engine warranty claim. THAT is when it'd most likely become an issue :D. Having said that, if my car developed that embarrassing tick, and nothing else eliminated it, I'd probably (and reluctantly) use that stuff. I believe those who said it cured it, but I don't know what it's doing to the oil, nor the fact Ford specifically calls not to use ANY oil additive. I'm sure it's thickening the oil, but how much? I'd like to see UOA numbers, and compare them to the same oil but without any additives, at around the same mileage on the oil.
You are interesting, You say Ford dosent know what its talking about with oil and refuse to listen to them but then turn right around and say Ford says not to use additives so Im gonna listen. LOL.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Late to the party but here we are again.... another tick, oil, gas thread...yawn. The car ticks, ford says its nothing get over it, no one not a single person in three years has said there has been any engine damage related to the tick. Its inherent dont like it buy a camaro. Its a car with hundreds of moving parts and a rather violent propulsion system. Whats happening inside that engine is just plain violent. And yall want it to sound like a day at the spa.

Oil. Those saying well it says 5w 30 for track so im gonna use that. yes for track. are you only driving it on a track? its not for daily and also states after track use to change back to 5w20

Gas. It is designed for 87 it was engineered for 87. When something is designed for and engineered for then thats it normal operating perimeters. Not sure where people get 87 is bad for it or that the engine pulls something and its hard on it. It was designed for 87. 87 will not hurt or otherwise damage your engine. they recommend 93 not because its better for the engine but because if you want top performance the engine CAN handle it and will make a performance improvement. is it better on the engine.... nope. but you will get a few extra HP out of it and if that negligible hp is really worth the extra 1200 a year in gas knock yourself out. Matter of fact I would argue its worse on the engine. As now you are running it harder and hotter. Just like putting thicker oil in makes the engine work harder so all these people saying its better to use 93 and 5w 30...is it? is it really better? other then your say so and opinion where is your proof? I always see lots of talk and zero proof. Everyone always saying ford doesnt know shit. Or its the epas fault. I like how all these shade tree mechanics know more then a company that basically invented the car and has been in business making cars longer then you been alive. but yes you know more. anyway rant done enjoy the repetitive thread.

Screenshot_4.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You are interesting, You say Ford dosent know what its talking about with oil and refuse to listen to them but then turn right around and say Ford says not to use additives so Im gonna listen. LOL.
Be careful now. He is going to demean you for your "f-cking attitude" and ignore you. :frown:

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Be careful now. He is going to demean you for your "f-cking attitude" and ignore you. :frown:
LOL IM sure I been ignored by half the members here.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You say Ford doesn't know what its talking about with oil and refuse to listen to them but then turn right around and say Ford says not to use additives so Im gonna listen. LOL.
I never said what you claim, for starters (read my post again). Ford is simply recommending 5/20 because of the EPA, not because it's the best oil for the engine; that's all. If you still can't see that, why is Ford recommending 5/30 in other countries with the same exact engine? :) And I simply said Ford doesn't recommend ANY oil additives, so if you add one, and your oil looks like a latte, and have an engine issue, of course any dealer will immediately notice that. It's like if you arrive home with lipstick all over; you don't even have to open your mouth to be in a world of trouble with the wifey. Simple common sense not to do either one while in warranty or married :D. And no, I don't trust additives either because NO manufacturer recommends them (not only Ford); they don't call them 'snake oil' for nothing :D. Nobody who uses it has posted any UOA, so they don't know what that stuff is doing to the oil. My guess is making it much thicker than they think. I'd use M1 0/40 at a last resort before even thinking of using any of that crap, but hopefully I won't have to. We'll see.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, since I didn't like any of the available oil drain plug replacements (Ronin, UPC, etc), I'll stick to the OEM ones (with the square hole), but will miss having a magnet. Is attaching a magnet to the oil filter a good alternative? if yes, and somebody is already using one, a link would be great :D. I already bought the FL500S filter and M1 0/30 oil. Went for a mountain drive today, and have 802 miles on the clock. Should hit 1K soon. Need to recheck oil level tomorrow, but seems like it hasn't consumed any oil in 800 miles (still at the top of the hash marks), which is great news. I have the 2K rattle (hard to avoid that one), but no 'tick' yet, which is what I hope to avoid too. I can live with the annoying 2K rattle. With excessive oil consumption and the tick, no way. So far none of them in sight, but the true test will be the first oil change. I'm convinced it's not straight 5/20 semi-synthetic oil from the factory in there, but we'll probably never know.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I never said what you claim, for starters (read my post again). Ford is simply recommending 5/20 because of the EPA, not because it's the best oil for the engine; that's all. If you still can't see that, why is Ford recommending 5/30 in other countries with the same exact engine?
Well where does it say in the manual ford only recommends this because of the EPA? Where does it anywhere say Ford only recommends this because of the EPA other then from forum members like yourself who claim this? show me one shred of proof and Ill agree. Ford recommends different oils in different countries because ...wait for it..wait for it... climate. Just like some countries have different gas again because of climate. I know you have to know they change gas here because of winter or summer. And there is a reason oil has a winter weight. All because of climate. Elevation also plays a role. There are many car models in Eurpoe and elsewhere that dont even come with air conditioners because they are not needed.

Most of Europe sits above the 45th parallel which is equal to Canada and the arctic circle goes right through the upper part. And they have higher standard elevation (less air needs more fuel) so. Their standard fuels are also better then ours do to the engines needing them, their standard ron is 98 to 102 in some countries and have different formulas of additives.

But its the EPA... yeah thats it.

But I must ask, what is the reason for such stress over oil? why not just put in recommended and go on about your life? I dont understand why some people make putting oil in their car into such an ordeal. Have you read my people who over complicate everything post in the members lounge LOL. Just enjoy your car and stop stressing everything.

I have owned over 30 cars in my life..im old... :( I have always used the standard recommended oils. Guess how many oil related problems i ever had...go on...and ive owned 4 mustangs in that time...take a guess... yup zero.

Enjoy the beast life is to short to stress over this stuff.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well where does it say in the manual ford only recommends this because of the EPA? Where does it anywhere say Ford only recommends this because of the EPA other then from forum members like yourself who claim this? show me one shred of proof and Ill agree. Ford recommends different oils in different countries because ...wait for it..wait for it... climate. Just like some countries have different gas again because of climate. I know you have to know they change gas here because of winter or summer. And there is a reason oil has a winter weight. All because of climate. Elevation also plays a role. There are many car models in Eurpoe and elsewhere that dont even come with air conditioners because they are not needed.

Most of Europe sits above the 45th parallel which is equal to Canada and the arctic circle goes right through the upper part. And they have higher standard elevation (less air needs more fuel) so. Their standard fuels are also better then ours do to the engines needing them, their standard ron is 98 to 102 in some countries and have different formulas of additives.

But its the EPA... yeah thats it.

But I must ask, what is the reason for such stress over oil? why not just put in recommended and go on about your life? I dont understand why some people make putting oil in their car into such an ordeal. Have you read my people who over complicate everything post in the members lounge LOL. Just enjoy your car and stop stressing everything.

I have owned over 30 cars in my life..im old... :( I have always used the standard recommended oils. Guess how many oil related problems i ever had...go on...and ive owned 4 mustangs in that time...take a guess... yup zero.

Enjoy the beast life is to short to stress over this stuff.
upload_2020-6-23_9-7-5.jpeg

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well where does it say in the manual ford only recommends this because of the EPA?
I really doubt that Ford would ever write in the manual something like: "5W30 would be better for the engine, but we must recommend 5W20 for the sake of polar bears". I don't know if the EPA thing is true or not, but even if it were, I'm sure Ford would never admit it openly.

Ford recommends different oils in different countries because ...wait for it..wait for it... climate.
That would make sense if the average temperatures in Europe in the summer were much higher than in North America. But they're not.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I really doubt that Ford would ever write in the manual something like: "5W30 would be better for the engine, but we must recommend 5W20 for the sake of polar bears". I don't know if the EPA thing is true or not, but even if it were, I'm sure Ford would never admit it openly.
Right so where are these people getting this from other then conspiracy theory?

That would make sense if the average temperatures in Europe in the summer were much higher than in North America. But they're not.
Read up on it unlike the people who claim the EPA is to blame what I said has plenty of proof around the internet. Do you think people in Dubai with an average daily temp of 100 are going well America uses winter weight blend oils so I should too. And you need to look up average temps. Their summer temps are way milder then ours. I see you are in Romania. you average july high temp is 77 here in the states we see many days of 90 s and a big part of the country hits into the 100s. so there is a difference.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
9 pages, 130 Posts. The answer to the thread title hasn’t changed.

There are none!!! :facepalm:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Loud and clear .......... it is ridiculous at the very least.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
9 pages, 130 Posts. The answer to the thread title hasn’t changed.

There are none!!! :facepalm:
Yes this ^^^^ there are none. It ticks get over it drive the car :)

Actually there is a fix. Buy a different car. :)

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Late to the party but here we are again.... another tick, oil, gas thread...yawn. The car ticks, ford says its nothing get over it, no one not a single person in three years has said there has been any engine damage related to the tick. Its inherent dont like it buy a camaro. Its a car with hundreds of moving parts and a rather violent propulsion system. Whats happening inside that engine is just plain violent. And yall want it to sound like a day at the spa.

Oil. Those saying well it says 5w 30 for track so im gonna use that. yes for track. are you only driving it on a track? its not for daily and also states after track use to change back to 5w20

Gas. It is designed for 87 it was engineered for 87. When something is designed for and engineered for then thats it normal operating perimeters. Not sure where people get 87 is bad for it or that the engine pulls something and its hard on it. It was designed for 87. 87 will not hurt or otherwise damage your engine. they recommend 93 not because its better for the engine but because if you want top performance the engine CAN handle it and will make a performance improvement. is it better on the engine.... nope. but you will get a few extra HP out of it and if that negligible hp is really worth the extra 1200 a year in gas knock yourself out. Matter of fact I would argue its worse on the engine. As now you are running it harder and hotter. Just like putting thicker oil in makes the engine work harder so all these people saying its better to use 93 and 5w 30...is it? is it really better? other then your say so and opinion where is your proof? I always see lots of talk and zero proof. Everyone always saying ford doesnt know shit. Or its the epas fault. I like how all these shade tree mechanics know more then a company that basically invented the car and has been in business making cars longer then you been alive. but yes you know more. anyway rant done enjoy the repetitive thread.

Screenshot_4.jpg
Probably best post in this thread... exactly what the people who build the car and engine say use your gas and oil that’s recommended BY the manufacture!
However ford messed up that Shelby engine... so I dunno.... lol
Sponsored