Tick or no tick

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
That's the question, I really cannot determine if that knocking is normal or not, so I made some videos from the GT engine after warming up and idling.

Do you think that pronounced, periodic knocking (once a revolution) is normal ?

To me this does not seem to be the famous bbq tick, just feels off.

Beside that the GT sounds quite good!
There is no noticeable low oil level.

Will do a dyno test next year to see if some horses are missing or if that's the case I will see what can be done about that problem.

The videos are made with a budget Samsung S10 phone, so sorry for bad video quality in advance.

Video 1 - Exhaust idle:
You can hear the knocking a little bit.
Code:
https://streamable.com/m1wh5t

Video 2 - below the engine:
Knocking is more audible.
Slowly revving up from 1k to 4k rpm.
Code:
https://streamable.com/n1t4d7

Video 3 - in engine bay:
Again 1k to 4k, first driver side, then passenger side.
Code:
https://streamable.com/fm7jlj

Video 4 - exhaust - throttle :
Short, about 20% throttle a few times.
Code:
https://streamable.com/c7zzxh
Sponsored

Last edited:

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
It sounds more harsh and deaper than the infamous tick we all know about. What year and mileage? Have you put it in the redline often?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18’ Mustang GT
I have a very similar problem.. Pretty convinced I damaged my high flow cat with my headers.

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
It's a 2020.
No mods, no tune, all stock.
And there are no DTCs.
3000 miles.
Maybe I hit redline once or twice.

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Oops, wrong video for #2 (below engine), this this the correct one:
Code:
https://streamable.com/n1t4d7

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
@dx2 I know this is not a solution but more of a bandaid, but when I had this sound from my GT I used Ceratec (2 bottles for the length of an entire oil change). This was when the car had around 21,000 miles. I have since then had a couple of oil changes (44,000 miles on the car now) but never introduced Ceratec to the oil and this knocking sound is completely gone. Maybe give it a try and see if it helps.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
BBQ Tick is more random. Mine was anyway.

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
BBQ Tick is more random. Mine was anyway.
Yes, this one is quite consistent.

@dx2 I know this is not a solution but more of a bandaid, but when I had this sound from my GT I used Ceratec (2 bottles for the length of an entire oil change). This was when the car had around 21,000 miles. I have since then had a couple of oil changes (44,000 miles on the car now) but never introduced Ceratec to the oil and this knocking sound is completely gone. Maybe give it a try and see if it helps.
Thanks you, well, if the knocking is unproblematic I will not be concerned about it. Right now the plan is to mention it during the next service appointment. And next year after winter I will have it looked at performance-wise before installing any mods.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Definitely not the typewriter tick. That comes mainly at idle and is intermittent and distinct. I notice it sometimes when the motor is warming up. Some of your noise is the injectors, but is also the VVT. When driving at light throttle 2-3K it is most apparent. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

I have the same noise in my Tundra with similar engine design, DOHC V-8 with dual VVT. I had it to the dealer 10X in the first couple years, convinced something was wrong. They let me drive 3-4 trucks new and used, and I could replicate the same noise. Mine was nosier than others, but not as bad as some.

So, when I heard the same on my Bullitt, I still wasn't happy, but was not alarmed. Ceratec does help to quiet it down. It is great stuff, and designed for re-treatment every 20-30K. You put it in with a fresh oil change, and keep it in for at least 3-5K. We need 2 bottles due to 10 quarts.

I'm at 10K miles and about ready to change my oil again (at 12K), using the Ford Racing version of the 820 filter and Pennzoil 5W30 Full Synthetic. I tend to change the oil every 5K and Filter every other oil change 10K. I did my first full change at 2K miles with the Ford Oil and 820 filter, and just the oil at 7K. Haven't tried the Ceratec in the Mustang yet, but have been using it in the Tundra which is at 60K with no change in the noise or driveability, response, etc.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Definitely not the typewriter tick. That comes mainly at idle and is intermittent and distinct. I notice it sometimes when the motor is warming up. Some of your noise is the injectors, but is also the VVT. When driving at light throttle 2-3K it is most apparent. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

I have the same noise in my Tundra with similar engine design, DOHC V-8 with dual VVT. I had it to the dealer 10X in the first couple years, convinced something was wrong. They let me drive 3-4 trucks new and used, and I could replicate the same noise. Mine was nosier than others, but not as bad as some.

So, when I heard the same on my Bullitt, I still wasn't happy, but was not alarmed. Ceratec does help to quiet it down. It is great stuff, and designed for re-treatment every 20-30K. You put it in with a fresh oil change, and keep it in for at least 3-5K. We need 2 bottles due to 10 quarts.

I'm at 10K miles and about ready to change my oil again (at 12K), using the Ford Racing version of the 820 filter and Pennzoil 5W30 Full Synthetic. I tend to change the oil every 5K and Filter every other oil change 10K. I did my first full change at 2K miles with the Ford Oil and 820 filter, and just the oil at 7K. Haven't tried the Ceratec in the Mustang yet, but have been using it in the Tundra which is at 60K with no change in the noise or driveability, response, etc.
when you are ceratec does it change the oil color? Will the dealer Know something was added?

thanks

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
when you are ceratec does it change the oil color? Will the dealer Know something was added?

thanks
Good question. If I remember, it is a milky pink (did it 2 years ago) not sure if it changes the color that much. Different oils have a range of color anyway. They would definitely know if they took an oil sample.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That's not the typewriter tick. Seems normal sound.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

I fully support this info.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Unless it's not running good, take it out and hit the gas hard a few times and see what happens. These engines are noisy by nature but anytime I start to hear a "new" noise I open her up and magically everything goes back to feeling normal. It's your cars way of asking you to use the fun pedal more often.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Sorry not sorry haha!!

09874.jpg
Sponsored