Engine priming after winter storage.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
This has been discussed before in other threads. And in the video, he's talking about doing it after an oil change, not winter storage. Though I'm not sure of the necessity of it. When you change the oil, not every drop is completely drained out of the engine. If it were, we'd have to do this for every car/truck we ever change the oil on.
As for after winter storage, I've opened up my oil filler cap throughout storage, and see the timing chain with oil still on it. Synthetic oil has a tendency to stay on metal parts, even if just a film.
Like stated, it can't hurt after a long storage period. But I don't see the need after every oil change.

OP
OP
nmp1

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
This has been discussed before in other threads. And in the video, he's talking about doing it after an oil change, not winter storage. Though I'm not sure of the necessity of it. When you change the oil, not every drop is completely drained out of the engine. If it were, we'd have to do this for every car/truck we ever change the oil on.
As for after winter storage, I've opened up my oil filler cap throughout storage, and see the timing chain with oil still on it. Synthetic oil has a tendency to stay on metal parts, even if just a film.
Like stated, it can't hurt after a long storage period. But I don't see the need after every oil change.
I agree 100%. There will still be plenty of oil on all the various parts after an oil change. But after 4 to 6 months sitting in the garage the oilā€˜s gonna be pretty thin on all the various parts especially the cylinder walls. Some people on here have said that this technique doesnā€™t work and that the engine revs up when they started it. I spoke to a friend of mine whoā€™s a Ford tech and he said when you do this you have to make absolutely sure that the accelerator is all the way to the floor and it will work. He doesnā€™t do it on oil changes but heā€™ll do it after major engine services.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The starter crank speed is so slow it'll barely build any pressure. This was discussed in another thread.

Ford doesn't like to replace engines anymore than they have to if this was a requirement it will be suggested by the manufacturer.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
For those of you who are getting ready to take your Shelbys out for this first time when the winter is over.

What a fantastic tip! Itā€™s nice to see it works for sure! My Darling is snowed in and I have no problem doing this once a week or so to keep things wet! Thanks soo much for sharing this! šŸ‘šŸ‘

Sponsored

EBTAGMOTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE R, 2022 GT500 PP HE, 2016 GT350BaseR
What a fantastic tip! Itā€™s nice to see it works for sure! My Darling is snowed in and I have no problem doing this once a week or so to keep things wet! Thanks soo much for sharing this! šŸ‘šŸ‘
I agree. Thanks. Anybody have any idea if you can do this on a 2020 GT500? Obviously with the automatic there might be some type of different procedure.

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
that's not necessary just crank it it'll be fine

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Push the peddle all the way to the ground, floor not far enought?

Did he also mention that owners must run around the car 3 times. Making engine sounds, before entering ? Car must wake up from deep sleep.

To his credit, he made that whole video without the mandatory gloved hands .

LMAO

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
There will still be plenty of oil on all the various parts after an oil change. But after 4 to 6 months sitting in the garage the oilā€˜s gonna be pretty thin on all the various parts especially the cylinder walls.
Maybe back when cars used regular oil. But nowadays most use synthetic, which adheres to the metal surfaces better. Plus, these cars use 50W oil, which is thick enough, let alone sitting in the colder winter weather. And synthetic works to protect, even when there's just a film initially.

The starter crank speed is so slow it'll barely build any pressure. This was discussed in another thread
Right. At approx 200 rpm crank speed, not much, if any oil is being pumped through into the cylinder heads.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Just start it like a normal person. Some of these rituals and shit are downright silly.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
It amazes me, all the negative comments! The guy is just trying to help! No šŸ’©. If you donā€™t want to do it, donā€™t do it! For me it was valuable insight.. if you donā€™t think it helps, donā€™t do it! Quit bashing the guy for trying to help someone!

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Way too many old school of thought owners in here. Take it off the battery tender, and start it up.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
As a whole, the forum has really good information, you just have to bypass the ā€œDemi-Gods!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The starter crank speed is so slow it'll barely build any pressure. This was discussed in another thread.

Ford doesn't like to replace engines anymore than they have to if this was a requirement it will be suggested by the manufacturer.
Huh, my oil pressure guage must be defective then. There are other threads discussing otherwise....

If you tried it, you would clearly see it does build pressure.

Iā€™ve been doing this every Spring when I take ā€˜er out of storage. Maybe itā€™s doing something, maybe itā€™s not. Who knows, it puts me at peace of mind.
Sponsored

Last edited: