Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
Up here in Maine, driving season for the GT 350 R is coming to a close real fast. I was wondering about if I should have oil change done prior to shutting it down for the winter. The GT 350 R I HAVE has 1750 miles on it and I purchased it in august, late august to be exact. My plan was to do the first oil change at 3000 miles, but it is obvious I am not going to get there this year. So my question is should I have the oil changed now before I put it in storage for 5 months ? Or just wait until next spring ?

The other question I had is should I add anything to the fuel as far as a additive is concerned ?

Next question the GT 350 R still has the stock tires and wheels on it and it will be stored in a heated garage at 65 degrees. Can I get away with not taking the tires and wheels off it and or putting it on jacks all winter ?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank You.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
+1 on battery tender if you don’t plan on starting it every week. Also inflating you’re tires to maximum allowed psi can prevent flat spots
Better yet, if you don’t move it, get tire cradles/flat-stoppers.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
+1 on battery tender if you don’t plan on starting it every week. Also inflating you’re tires to maximum allowed psi can prevent flat spots

If this were 1973, that concern would be valid.

Pump em up to 40PSI, you'll be fine.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!
As you put your car into storage, think about car dealerships and all those cars that sit out on the lot for how many days, weeks, or months and most likely hardly ever move. You think they're putting gallons of stabilizer in them, inflating the tires to 38204 PSI, and starting them up every week?

I've used fuel stabilizer once. There was no difference in start up when I didn't use it. I have never flat spotted a tire (Pilot Super Sports) even though the insane Wisconsin winter we had last year where the temps dropped to -50F. No cracks. Even tracked on them. I didn't turn over my car once until I was ready to swap vehicles for the nice months. The internet would tell you my car instantly blew up come April because I didn't follow a laundry list of tasks to prevent issues. Well shit diggity dawg, I don't even burn any oil!! Don't know what to tell ya other than things aren't what they were 50 years ago. Be thankful.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
agree with above about minimal prep needed... i try to park mine with less fuel in the tank if possible so I can fill with fresh when I get it back out...

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
If this were 1973, that concern would be valid.

Pump em up to 40PSI, you'll be fine.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!
As you put your car into storage, think about car dealerships and all those cars that sit out on the lot for how many days, weeks, or months and most likely hardly ever move. You think they're putting gallons of stabilizer in them, inflating the tires to 38204 PSI, and starting them up every week?

I've used fuel stabilizer once. There was no difference in start up when I didn't use it. I have never flat spotted a tire (Pilot Super Sports) even though the insane Wisconsin winter we had last year where the temps dropped to -50F. No cracks. Even tracked on them. I didn't turn over my car once until I was ready to swap vehicles for the nice months. The internet would tell you my car instantly blew up come April because I didn't follow a laundry list of tasks to prevent issues. Well shit diggity dawg, I don't even burn any oil!! Don't know what to tell ya other than things aren't what they were 50 years ago. Be thankful.
that’s why vehicles are shipped way over inflated to prevent flat spots because they sit on the lot for long periods of time

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
agree with above about minimal prep needed... i try to park mine with less fuel in the tank if possible so I can fill with fresh when I get it back out...
The starting it up every week or month or whatever boggles my mind too. And saying to charge the battery is a piss poor reason. Put a charger on it or hell, even if it does discharge, just leave it and worry about it when the spring comes around. People need to stop dicking with stuff. Start ups to only shut the car off again in these freezing cold temps is just asinine. Totally unnecessary wear and tear. The fluids are just going to settle again by leaving it for a week or however long it is. No difference between a week or a few months. Settled is settled. Storage for years on end is a different story though. But from one season to the next, hardly a big deal.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. I never understood why tires are always way over inflated on brand new cars. Now I understand.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Good advice. Thank you.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I had a lot of water in the tank one winter from leaving it empty on my GT500 after being stored for 4 months... all the variations in temperature caused condensation in the tank, was running extremely rough when I started it. I had to add some alcohol to mix in and burn that water.
Every since I fill up to the neck, and I just take it easy until I burn the first tank in the spring.

I also don't recommend allowing the battery to go completely flat, the cells get destroyed quicker. Just keep it charged with a CTEK, no that big of an expense.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Actually, I had a lot of water in the tank one winter from leaving it empty on my GT500 after being stored for 4 months... all the variations in temperature caused condensation in the tank, was running extremely rough when I started it. I had to add some alcohol to mix in and burn that water.
Every since I fill up to the neck, and I just take it easy until I burn the first tank in the spring.

I also don't recommend allowing the battery to go completely flat, the cells get destroyed quicker. Just keep it charged with a CTEK, no that big of an expense.
My assumption was stored in an attached garage with stable temps... I could see condensation being an issue in some circumstances...
Sponsored