Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Huh, my oil pressure guage must be defective then. There are other threads discussing otherwise....

If you tried it, you would clearly see it does build pressure.

I’ve been doing this every Spring when I take ‘er out of storage. Maybe it’s doing something, maybe it’s not. Who knows, it puts me at peace of mind.
Yes, about 50psi. I do this. It usually takes two starter cycles to get the pressure up and I do a third cycle to push more oil.

I don't see the harm in this. Other than starter duty cycle or doing this without a completely full battery, I don't see how it can hurt. It may not give enough pressure for long enough to reach the cams and such components, but it certainly gives the oil a head start.

VoodooIdo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Turbo GT350 and 93 Supercharged Lightning
I do this and it does build pressure. I like the fact its filling up the empty oil filter canister before starting after an oil change.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
The starter crank speed is so slow it'll barely build any pressure. This was discussed in another thread.

Ford doesn't like to replace engines anymore than they have to if this was a requirement it will be suggested by the manufacturer.
Hello; Not sure the intent is to build pressure. My guess is the idea is to move some oil around and thru passages so oil is in place when the engine is actually started.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Seems like nonsense to me but if it makes you feel better, have at it. It can't hurt.

I've torn down engines that have literally sat for decades, and there's always a film of oil present between the bearings and the crank/cam journals. Which would be adequate to lubricate for the split second it takes to build pressure upon starting.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Huh, my oil pressure guage must be defective then. There are other threads discussing otherwise....

If you tried it, you would clearly see it does build pressure.

I’ve been doing this every Spring when I take ‘er out of storage. Maybe it’s doing something, maybe it’s not. Who knows, it puts me at peace of mind.
Same here.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
What is the difference between combustion cycles moving the cylinders or a starter cranking the engine round and round until the oil pressure comes up? Parts are moving in both situations. Internal components still have oil clinging to them months later due to the viscous nature of oil and surface tension. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't see it as necessary.

VoodooIdo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Turbo GT350 and 93 Supercharged Lightning
What is the difference between combustion cycles moving the cylinders or a starter cranking the engine round and round until the oil pressure comes up? Parts are moving in both situations. Internal components still have oil clinging to them months later due to the viscous nature of oil and surface tension. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't see it as necessary.

Parts are under much more load while running (combustion)?

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Best idea is to run your car at least once a month. I know some people live in a deep freeze but most of us don't. I live just south west of Denver and I know of guys that wash and cover up there cars for 4-6 months. I have had my Shelby out at least once every month this winter. Again starting Tuesday we have 10 days of 50-60 degree weather. It's more than just oil pressure in the engine, every moving part in the drivetrain gets lubed. They were made to be run.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Anticipating that I’ll be able to drive my car in a few days, which will be the first time in about four months, I went out to the garage and primed the engine. The first time the oil pressure gauge read around 50 psi. I did it a second time and it read close to a 100 psi.
Sponsored