Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
A lot means?

Did it register on the stick at all?

Before last night, when did you last check your oil last?

When you noticed it was ‘under by a lot’, did you:
1) Add oil to the recommended level; or
2) Start ‘er up and go for a spin?

A few people have posted similar stories here and some of them turned out to be owner neglect. Not saying that’s your situation; I think it’s helpful to get a full picture out there.

I hope your car is repaired to your satisfaction.

Well considering I had changed the oil only 1200 miles ago I hadn’t checked the dipstick recently.
I didn’t add more oil cause I already had set up the tow truck and the appointment so I just left it at that. But for a car to waste 6-7 qts of oil in 1k miles I’m glad it’s getting replaced.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Well considering I had changed the oil only 1200 miles ago I hadn’t checked the dipstick recently.
I didn’t add more oil cause I already had set up the tow truck and the appointment so I just left it at that. But for a car to waste 6-7 qts of oil in 1k miles I’m glad it’s getting replaced.
Ford should make it so a GT350 can’t be started if the dipstick hasn’t been completely removed in the previous 24 hours...

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
The pre 19's were known for consuming oil. You should've known this going in.
I'm glad you're getting it replaced under warranty, but you should've kept an eye on the oil level for the first 1K miles especially since you bought it used.
Enjoy the new engine. I have my 19 for 3 months now and it hasn't consumed any oil................so far.

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
Ford should make it so a GT350 can’t be started if the dipstick hasn’t been completely removed in the previous 24 hours...
If they did, I can guarantee if there wasn't a way around it, they would have never sold me one. I don't want anything I have to take the dipstick out everyday.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The pre 19's were known for consuming oil. You should've known this going in.
I'm glad you're getting it replaced under warranty, but you should've kept an eye on the oil level for the first 1K miles especially since you bought it used.
Enjoy the new engine. I have my 19 for 3 months now and it hasn't consumed any oil................so far.
Yup, the '19s and later are known for dropping valves into the cylinders...:facepalm:

(BTW, my '16 doesn't consume oil.)

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The 19 motor in my 18 uses about 1 quart in 3000 miles, and it’s got 15K miles on it.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Like I said, I deal with franchise dealerships almost daily. I’m working for them, not the other way around.
I must wear safety gear as if I’m an employee. Some won’t even let my enter the service tech only area even though they have known me for years.
To say they are playing some kind of game my or may not be true. I’ll guarantee most that follow OSHA rules are not playing games.
God forbid anything were to happen to you while in their restricted/employer only area. I’ll guarantee your survivors would go after said dealership.
I work out of a self contained specialty service trailer. Believe me, not “everyone” is allowed inside my work area for the same reason I described above.
It’s the dealerships responsibility to keep a safe working environment, that does not include you having access to it.
My dealership allow me to be present in the shop while tech performed oil changes on my GT350. And recently when I went for front splitter seating issue the tech asked me to come to the shop to observe under body of the car.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Yup, the '19s and later are known for dropping valves into the cylinders...:facepalm:

(BTW, my '16 doesn't consume oil.)
Yeah right! And how many do you know of. I think there were 2 or 3 on this site.

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
To OP, another possibility aside from the fact that you may have unknowingly bought a traded in oil consumer is that several instances of incomplete filling have been mentioned by others in the past. This car takes 10 quarts of oil with a change and sometimes not every tech knows and only puts in 8 which would have set you up for failure unless you knew enough to frequently check the dipstick like those around here for awhile have learned, including right after an oil change. Only way to help tell would be if you can get your hands on the service receipt from the most recent oil change although moot point at this time.

OP
OP

Rubens350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
Well in 2019 according to carfax the car was in for an oil change in January 2019 then only driven 1000 miles when I bought it in April 2020. It was probably some guys weekend car. I changed the oil 3 days after buying it to make sure it had fresh oil since it was going to be my daily.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
or maybe put in a float sensor in the oil pan. Or better yet, don't build engines that consume a preposterous amount of oil...