Engine died at idle no start

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Filing piston rings, you better have a good touch. No way the Romeo line workers doing that.
Sponsored

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
Hey guys and gals, first time post. In the market for a gt350, but had a bit of paranoia with all the oil consumption issues which seem to have been solved (from my19 onward) but now it's the valves on some 19s. Great.

Found a perfectly-optioned 19 at an acceptable price but the valve issue has me not moving forward on it and looking for a '20. I've previously gone through hell with my 05 gt that Ford bought back due a myriad of issues and I dont want to go through that again!

It would be nice if Ford revealed what '19 build dates the supposed bad batch of valves were used, but that's wishful thinking.

what to do, what to do...onward with the '20 search I guess.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Hey guys and gals, first time post. In the market for a gt350, but had a bit of paranoia with all the oil consumption issues which seem to have been solved (from my19 onward) but now it's the valves on some 19s. Great.

Found a perfectly-optioned 19 at an acceptable price but the valve issue has me not moving forward on it and looking for a '20. I've previously gone through hell with my 05 gt that Ford bought back due a myriad of issues and I dont want to go through that again!

It would be nice if Ford revealed what '19 build dates the supposed bad batch of valves were used, but that's wishful thinking.

GT350 (none R) 19 and 20 are the same. Like any other car brands, you may end up buying a lemon. I don't believe "valve issue" is an issue in GT350's. It may be just isolated instances like any other cars would have.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
The valve issue doesn't seem to be build date specific. I think the OP had an early 19 build and Montoya had a later 19 build. I think my build date was close to the OP's. April of 19, and so far so good. But who knows.
Doesn't seem to be a production run problem but more of a bad one here and there. Crappy quality control.

As for the Plasma lining. My experience with this issue was with my 19 5.0 F150. Some engines had lousy piton to cylinder tolerances. Ford was replacing the long blocks. the 20's didn't seem to have the issue.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

I am pretty sure I have seen several 20's in the Facebook group with dead engines that need replacement too. I am not sure buying a 20 guarantees anything.

I went back and forth on buying a GT350 due to the reported engine issues. I finally decided it was worth the gamble for what you get and no other car checked the boxes the way this car does.

The vast majority of GT350 owners don't have major engine issues, but you can't guarantee it. So either you are comfortable with the risk and ensure you properly maintain the car and no mod the powertrain, or you are not comfortable and you buy something else.

It is encouraging thought that Ford replaces the engines when there are issues (as they should) and as long as you properly drive and maintain the car you will be good if the engine gives out.

For me so far so good (I bought an 18 at the end of 2019). 7 months, no oil issues and no engine issues. Car has been rock solid. Not even a rattle.

Sponsored

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if Ford updated the valve seals on the 19+ Gen 2 engines to solve the oil consumption issues seen on the Gen 1 engines, and in the process introduced a new, seemingly isolated problem that causes valve failure? Tighter tolerances between the seal and valves that in some instances may not have the proper clearance (either due to manufacturing of either the seal or the valve itself) and after so many cycles, the valve fails? Could be any number of causes - wear, vibration, etc.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wonder if Ford updated the valve seals on the 19+ Gen 2 engines to solve the oil consumption issues seen on the Gen 1 engines, and in the process introduced a new, seemingly isolated problem that causes valve failure? Tighter tolerances between the seal and valves that in some instances may not have the proper clearance (either due to manufacturing of either the seal or the valve itself) and after so many cycles, the valve fails? Could be any number of causes - wear, vibration, etc.
That makes a lot of sense to me.

You could be right. It could be that sometimes the valve and guide don't get enough oil rather than getting too much due to the seal stopping passage of oil.

Or like you are saying, the old seals may have failed due to a looser fit between the valve and guide. So they tightened the valve/guide fit and now sometimes it's too tight.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with the service department and they stated a portion of a spark plug has broken off and made contact with a piston. I have no idea what the root cause of that failure is but I gotta think it was valvetrain related vs piston but I have no idea. They contacted Ford and expect a reply tomorrow on how to proceed.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Just got off the phone with the service department and they stated a portion of a spark plug has broken off and made contact with a piston. I have no idea what the root cause of that failure is but I gotta think it was valvetrain related vs piston but I have no idea. They contacted Ford and expect a reply tomorrow on how to proceed.
Yes, it is unusual for a portion of the spark plug to break off w/o something else striking it. Keep us updated and best of luck for a happy outcome!

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
That sounds odd. How much of a spark plug could break off inside a chamber. Might make a racket and cause a lot of damage but shut down the engine like a light switch and it wouldn't even hit on a restart try. I don't know - weird. Maybe something with the computer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
CSR called me this afternoon and said the service department was approved for and ordered a short block. I explained that I haven't seen the engine or talked with the service department yet but if a spark plug had been damaged, I couldn't see any way that could happen without the head also being damaged. She said that was a good point and she'll look into it (will call back on Monday). I might shoot over there tomorrow to see if they'll let me look at what's going on.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
CSR called me this afternoon and said the service department was approved for and ordered a short block. I explained that I haven't seen the engine or talked with the service department yet but if a spark plug had been damaged, I couldn't see any way that could happen without the head also being damaged. She said that was a good point and she'll look into it (will call back on Monday). I might shoot over there tomorrow to see if they'll let me look at what's going on.
Are you sure they said short block? Never heard of a dealer authorized to open up a Voodoo.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure they said short block? Never heard of a dealer authorized to open up a Voodoo.
I asked twice. The CSR said she would see the part # when the order went through and she'd know for sure. I didn't think they pulled heads but perhaps they do.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
If they send a short block on your car you will be the first.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
If they send a short block on your car you will be the first.
That we know of.
Highly unusual for sure based on history. I guess someone has to be the first.
Maybe Ford has diagnosed the problems, lord knows they have enough bad engines to look at.
Sponsored