OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What was your ODO reading before and after the detailer had it. Even though you say he's the best around, sometimes employees have been known to take a few joy rides in high performance cars. Like "let's see if this car really goes above 8,000rpm"
Was already addressed in this thread.
Sponsored

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
sorry to hear this man. My 2019 R has just over 500 miles. I hadn't heard about these valve issues until recently, I was only on the lookout for the oil issues. Now I need to keep an eye out for this too !!!

I hope you get the best possible outcome out of this. The yellow pinstripes looked bad ass.
The color is Solar Flash; it shifts from yellows to greens depending on lighting angle. Gives it sort of a toxic look that is pretty neat under natural lighting.

Internet sourced pic of a fully wrapped GT.
color.JPG

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Had the car transferred to another dealer that will be able to look at it next week (figured I should exercise due diligence and at least get it looked at as soon as possible). This shop is outside my current CSR's region so he set me up with another CSR by the name of, wait for it, Shelby.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Agree. Most likely a bad batch of valves whereas the oil consumption issue was more than likely a production issue with piston to cylinder tolerances not being consistent. Some consumed oil and some didn't. My 2019 F150 5.0 had an oil issue, and some didn't.
Some consumed oil, but MOST DIDN'T.
try again

Sponsored

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Think long and hard about what you want from a buy back. I did and ultimately chose to keep my car. For me the reasons were simply the time and money I had in the car (detailing and delivery) and the fact I still wanted a GT350R. Meaning the chances of finding another like the one I have, or ordering one to my spec were slim.

Yes, you get your money back in full with the buyback, but I couldn't find definitively that Ford will open an allocation for you to order a new one if you can't find one you are looking for. Ford only does an MSRP exchange too, so if you find one with an ADM you are stuck with that. There is a lot of good info posted by Cobra Jet on the process. You can read through my experience (links inside for Ford RAV buyback) https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-booboo-engine-replacement-experience.137204/

Good luck!
Thanks, I'm in a very similar boat since I've dropped about $2600 in paint correction, stripes, tint, and the ceramic coating. I'm willing to walk away from the $2600 if I could get a replacement but at the same time, I really like the car (even though other people have had it longer than I have...)

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
All I have to hold me over...

49996480086_cc1a063fb8_h.jpg

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
try again

Excuse Me!
I was trying to make the point that there was an issue with their Plasma lining.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
try again

Excuse Me!
I was trying to make the point that there was an issue with their Plasma lining.
Sorry, not ragging on you. Ford runs off with the replaced oil consuming engine and doesn’t allow tear downs. I am unaware of plasma bore issues on the GT350. Maybe you can enlighten me and others since it remains a mystery to many.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
try again

Excuse Me!
I think you may be wrong about the oil consumption issue possibly stemming from Ford's plasma wire arch process for lining the cylinder walls of it's performance engines. This process was started with the 2011 GT500 vehicles and has been used on thousands of Shelby GT500's since that time. There have been few, if any, voiced events of GT500 owners complaining about oil usage or similar issues. Left stock, those 5.4 and 5.8 engines have proven to be quite bullet proof and have not experienced notable oil usage. Hence, I don't think the plasma process is responsible for some of the 5.2 engines using inordinate amounts of oil.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know there was at least one instance of an earlier car with deformed piston rings and an oil consumption problem. I had an idea in my head that the piston rings were fragile in the early cars and that some might get damaged when they were stretched over the pistons during assembly. When I heard that Ford redesigned the rings and that they no longer offer the original style for sale, in my head that confirmed that piston rings were a potential source of oil consumption. I think those rings are under the most stress when they are expanded to go over the piston. If you've ever assembled rings onto a piston, you will understand what I mean. They have to bend quite a bit to make it over the piston, and the tools I've used don't control how much the ring is stretched during assembly. It would be easy to get just a little over zealous and tweak the rings.

I realize there are a lot of parts in an engine which means a lot of potential failure modes. But I think the original piston rings were an issue. Edit: oh and it may seem like I'm contradicting myself when I said earlier I don't think it's an assembly issue and now I'm talking about rings getting damaged during assembly. However, the way I think about it is the engineer designing the engine has to account for assembly methods and if the rings were fragile then the engineer is responsible for coming up with an effective assembly process. It's not enough to tell the assembler they have to be careful with the rings or something like that.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I know there was at least one instance of an earlier car with deformed piston rings and an oil consumption problem. I had an idea in my head that the piston rings were fragile in the early cars and that some might get damaged when they were stretched over the pistons during assembly. When I heard that Ford redesigned the rings and that they no longer offer the original style for sale, in my head that confirmed that piston rings were a potential source of oil consumption. I think those rings are under the most stress when they are expanded to go over the piston. If you've ever assembled rings onto a piston, you will understand what I mean. They have to bend quite a bit to make it over the piston, and the tools I've used don't control how much the ring is stretched during assembly. It would be easy to get just a little over zealous and tweak the rings.

I realize there are a lot of parts in an engine which means a lot of potential failure modes. But I think the original piston rings were an issue. Edit: oh and it may seem like I'm contradicting myself when I said earlier I don't think it's an assembly issue and now I'm talking about rings getting damaged during assembly. However, the way I think about it is the engineer designing the engine has to account for assembly methods and if the rings were fragile then the engineer is responsible for coming up with an effective assembly process. It's not enough to tell the assembler they have to be careful with the rings or something like that.
That could be; however, I don't think this explains the number of oil consumption problems that have occurred from the 2016 through 2018 (?) MY GT350 engines.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I don’t think the assemblers put the rings on and adjust the ring gap. That’s a very critical part of installing rings, the gap and placement of it in reference to the other rings. Too tight a gap and when it heats up you get problems with broken rings With scored cylinders and too big they won’t seal properly. I don’t think the engine assemblers check this gap.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That could be; however, I don't think this explains the number of oil consumption problems that have occurred from the 2016 through 2018 (?) MY GT350 engines.
The piston rings were the same design through all those years. Below is a link to the process I'm talking about.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My understanding was that high oil consumption was sometimes a piston to cylinder wall problem and sometimes a valve stem seal problem. There are some photos drifting around - can't recall where - showing a removed short block with the intake manifold off and puddles of oil around the intake valves. Even now, @honeybadger is having oil consumption problems on his built engine and it's because of valve stem seals.

As for which builder does what, I'd be shocked if the various sub-assemblies, like the piston-rod-rings-bearings unit doesn't come from the supplier of record to the assembly line fully assembled and ready to go into the block. The Romeo Niche Line assembles the engines, but they start with discrete subassemblies and finish the job. Nobody in that plant is filing piston rings.
Sponsored