Sponsored

Engine will not start, inprogress diagnostic.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Hey all,

I recently tracked the car at Road Atlanta and spent nearly an hour on track strait with no temp or brake issues what so ever, During the event I did have some troubles with the car but not mechanical. The car exhibited some weird electrical glitches. I depress the clutch for start and still got the notice to depress clutch for start. Attempt to start car and then everything goes dead. Swapped a clutch switch with a fellow track mate and still nothing. At one point the dash notification said press on brake to start engine. I some how got the car to start and then it shut off. Several codes thrown, see attachment. I was able to somehow start the car again and I hit the track for almost an HOUR!!! She ran like a beast!. Car is a street car but damn sure ran like a race car. Got back from the session, shut the car off and presto, dead in the water. Loaded her up on the trailer and home bound it was. Car is in the garage. Have been trouble shooting with a fellow enthusiast (awesome mechanic) we thought we had it nipped. Ordered a new gas pedal and installed it last night. Still dead. I have some more to do tonight, check fuses, relays (again) scan for codes and measure voltage at TB per my friends request. I will keep you all posted with the details and the results. Ultimately she will be in the dealer this Saturday, I really was hoping to have this solved and not have to see the dealer. If anyone has seen or heard of a similar situation please share. I thank you all in advance.
Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Hey all,

I recently tracked the car at Road Atlanta and spent nearly an hour on track strait with no temp or brake issues what so ever, During the event I did have some troubles with the car but not mechanical. The car exhibited some weird electrical glitches. I depress the clutch for start and still got the notice to depress clutch for start. Attempt to start car and then everything goes dead. Swapped a clutch switch with a fellow track mate and still nothing. At one point the dash notification said press on brake to start engine. I some how got the car to start and then it shut off. Several codes thrown, see attachment. I was able to somehow start the car again and I hit the track for almost an HOUR!!! She ran like a beast!. Car is a street car but damn sure ran like a race car. Got back from the session, shut the car off and presto, dead in the water. Loaded her up on the trailer and home bound it was. Car is in the garage. Have been trouble shooting with a fellow enthusiast (awesome mechanic) we thought we had it nipped. Ordered a new gas pedal and installed it last night. Still dead. I have some more to do tonight, check fuses, relays (again) scan for codes and measure voltage at TB per my friends request. I will keep you all posted with the details and the results. Ultimately she will be in the dealer this Saturday, I really was hoping to have this solved and not have to see the dealer. If anyone has seen or heard of a similar situation please share. I thank you all in advance.

Have you checked the battery it may have a internal short?

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
First thing I did.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Yes! I noticed. I uploaded it from my phone but it did not work. Will send from my laptop.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Is it completely dead, as it no audible cranking of the motor? Do you hear the starter going at all? Does the vehicle chime/lights come on when you get in it or is it completely dark?

I would pull the battery cables and let it sit for a good 15 - 30 minutes to let any computer bugs reset. L

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Is it completely dead, as it no audible cranking of the motor? Do you hear the starter going at all? Does the vehicle chime/lights come on when you get in it or is it completely dark?

I would pull the battery cables and let it sit for a good 15 - 30 minutes to let any computer bugs reset. L
Accessories come on. Once I depress clutch and hit start all dies. It does turn over but only as a flood clear.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Accessories come on. Once I depress clutch and hit start all dies. It does turn over but only as a flood clear.
That sounds like a bad battery, I'd swap it before going to a dealer. Worth the $$ to prevent possible dealer problems.

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Let me clarify, The engine turns over when I hold the accel pedal, clutch and brake in while pressing and holding start. This, as I understand it, is the procedure to clear any fuel flooding the cylinders. I haven't done a full battery load test but it has the juice to turn the motor over several times. I will load test the battery tonight but I doubt that is it. Attached are the codes that did not post initially.
Screenshot_20180727-184854.jpg
Screenshot_20180727-184902.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I also ran a TAPPS (throttle accelerator pedal position sensor) test and the pedal potentiometer when closed read 30% and at full depressed pedal 90%. This is why the TAPPS was suspected.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I have seen many batteries that will crank a car over but the voltage drops below 10 volts to the powertrain and various other modules and this prevents the car from starting. You could just for giggles try unplugging the fuel rail sensor and temp sensor just in case one of them is shorted and leave them unplugged to see if the car acts normal, the PCM will use a substitute value to run on.

Have you installed any accessories that required you to remove a ground wire maybe something you installed for the track day like a data logger etc?

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
P1289 is a high cylinder head temp code.
P1289 is the CHT but it is pending due to the fact that the car does not start. All temps where normal initially. I don't believe even if the CHT fails it will prevent the car from strating.

Offboost, many of you recommended, I will load cell test tonight and disconnect the fuel rail and CHT sensor. I did have a data logger running but it is a dongle installed in the OBD port. No wiring was touched prior to the track day or at the track.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That sounds like a grounding issue or a poor electrical connection to the computer. Since it happened during or immediately after a track event, could be heat related (melted wire). Or could be vibration leading to poor/failed connection.
Sponsored