Engine died at idle no start

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Think long and hard about what you want from a buy back. I did and ultimately chose to keep my car. For me the reasons were simply the time and money I had in the car (detailing and delivery) and the fact I still wanted a GT350R. Meaning the chances of finding another like the one I have, or ordering one to my spec were slim.

Yes, you get your money back in full with the buyback, but I couldn't find definitively that Ford will open an allocation for you to order a new one if you can't find one you are looking for. Ford only does an MSRP exchange too, so if you find one with an ADM you are stuck with that. There is a lot of good info posted by Cobra Jet on the process. You can read through my experience (links inside for Ford RAV buyback) https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-booboo-engine-replacement-experience.137204/

Good luck!
Sponsored

VooDoo_Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Converible 2018 F-150 2020 GT 350 on order
Yikes!!!! That's the same guy that built my engine. Mine is a 2020 production date of Feb. 2020 but I don't know when the engine was built. 720 miles so far. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Good luck!!!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Yikes!!!! That's the same guy that built my engine. Mine is a 2020 production date of Feb. 2020 but I don't know when the engine was built. 720 miles so far. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Good luck!!!
I thought I read that only one person is doing the engines now. Maybe I misread that.

VooDoo_Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Converible 2018 F-150 2020 GT 350 on order
That is true only one builder.....mine was the same builder. I am not sure what was misread

Edit: I guess I misread your post. My understanding is one builder per engine. Mine was the same builder as in the previous photo

Last edited:

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I thought I read that only one person is doing the engines now. Maybe I misread that.
My 2016 had two folks that built mine. I can see the pros of it being 1 person or 2. If the one builder is out sick or vacation in the middle of a build I would worry about the hand off. With 2 persons I would think the extra set of eyes would be very valuable. Has anyone analyzed the failure rate when comparing the number of builders??

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
sorry to hear this man. My 2019 R has just over 500 miles. I hadn't heard about these valve issues until recently, I was only on the lookout for the oil issues. Now I need to keep an eye out for this too !!!

I hope you get the best possible outcome out of this. The yellow pinstripes looked bad ass.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My 2016 had two folks that built mine. I can see the pros of it being 1 person or 2. If the one builder is out sick or vacation in the middle of a build I would worry about the hand off. With 2 persons I would think the extra set of eyes would be very valuable. Has anyone analyzed the failure rate when comparing the number of builders??
I would be really surprised if the builders have anything to do with failures. If you've seen the videos on the assembly process, you understand how tightly controlled and monitored the assembly process is. I think the people Ford has on engine assembly are the better/best people available as well. I realize it's natural to blame them - my thought is engineering/manufacturing/accounting are more likely culprits. Possibly they know all about the failure mode and just don't want to spend the money to completely eliminate it. To me that seems most likely, rather than an incompetent assembler.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I would be really surprised if the builders have anything to do with failures. If you've seen the videos on the assembly process, you understand how tightly controlled and monitored the assembly process is. I think the people Ford has on engine assembly are the better/best people available as well. I realize it's natural to blame them - my thought is engineering/manufacturing/accounting are more likely culprits. Possibly they know all about the failure mode and just don't want to spend the money to completely eliminate it. To me that seems most likely, rather than an incompetent assembler.
Well, you control what you can control.. and then you control it some more.

I don’t think the builders are 100% bulletproof but I’m willing to go on record and say they’re not like majority of the issue, as human error is still factor with machines.

Yet, fatigue is a part of metallurgy and there’s a lot of metal in these engines. Also, tolerances... and the strictness of tolerances thereof.

I can’t tell you the Swiss cheese model of where the majority of these engines fail (lack of data) but I’d say given the commonality of valves failing in Gen 2’s, that may be a start.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
So they addressed an issue with oil consumption in 2019+ by reducing gap between piston and cylinder wall(blow-by) in voodoo engines?
But now the new issue introduced with valves failing? IDK enough to draw the conclusion on this topics. I wish Ford come forward and give an explanation instead of keeping everybody in the dark and speculating who's fault it is.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
What was your ODO reading before and after the detailer had it. Even though you say he's the best around, sometimes employees have been known to take a few joy rides in high performance cars. Like "let's see if this car really goes above 8,000rpm"

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Ford never publicly addressed the oil consumption issue so I doubt they address the bad valves either.

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
That sucks, sorry. Got me thinking though so I popped the hood on my '19. Different builder and my oil is still full at 1000 miles, looks good too.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Ford never publicly addressed the oil consumption issue so I doubt they address the bad valves either.
Unless you see a class action lawsuit, I doubt Ford will ever publicly address these types of things and provide stats/metrics/etc on failures. No company really does. From my perspective if they are covering it with warranty replacement I am not sure I care if it is public or not. If they start denying warranty claims then it will be a completely different matter.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I would think the valve issue is more likely a parts problem over an assembly problem. If we can compile assembly dates of the recent failures (that seem valve related) we might narrow the suspect range (which I would expect Ford is doing). As far as one or two engine builder, I think this was due to the Predator engine coming online for the GT500 assembly and the Romeo Niche Assembly Team was covering both products. My 2019 GT350 was built early March 2019 and had 2 engine builders. It seems vehicles built starting around May or June of 2019 had one engine builder. That aligns to the ramp up time for the GT500 before release. The Romeo Team has been together a long time and I would not be so inclined to view the issues as assembly related. The Voodoo has a lot of press and industry focus, I do not think they would get sloppy with assembly.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Agree. Most likely a bad batch of valves whereas the oil consumption issue was more than likely a production issue with piston to cylinder tolerances not being consistent. Some consumed oil and some didn't. My 2019 F150 5.0 had an oil issue, and some didn't.
Sponsored