Dummies Guide To Camber Bolts.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I know, just get camber plates ... There, I've said it ... :giggle:

OK now that's out of the way, until I drop the front suspension (at which point I will fit camber plates), I need a short term solution to provide some form of front camber adjustment.

I see camber bolts from various manufacturers (Pedders, Steeda, BMR, Eibach, Whiteline & Powerflex) and I see various levels of adjustment listed from 1.0° (Steeda & Eibach) upto 2.5° (BMR).

How can that be ? Is the adjustment range not fixed by the size constraints of the bolt and bolt hole ? Is it just creative marketing ?

If you were to pick one manufacturer, which would it be ? (even if it's just based on them all being the same, but one type having better plating or simply because it's the cheapest etc)

I see that Steeda, BMR & Whiteline recommend the same tightening torque (125 lb ft) compared to Powerflex (90 lb ft) so Powerflex is kind of already ruled out ...

Are there any manufacturers I should particularly stay away from ?

Based on evidence rather than rumours, has anyone ever had a S550 camber bolt fail or slip assuming it was installed correctly ?

Thanks in advance for any responses :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Use the OEM camber bolts and slot the holes in the strut. Part number: W715295*S439.

Full clamping load, full send, factory approved.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes to camber bolt failures. Multiple guys in the Houston area who had failures of camber bolts. Not catastrophic, but definitely a crappy feeling when you pull a tire and one bolt is loose.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've had the BMR ones in place for over five years with no issue.

But slotting the strut and using the OEM bolts would be the stoutest route to take.

S550 Recon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
'22 CF150
Just a wild guess, but I'd bet BMR is the only company that actually designed theirs and have them manufactured to their design and specifications, where the others mentioned most likely resell them from companies like SPC etc.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Any of the main brands you mentioned with the 125 torque value will work. As for the difference is about of camber it could be the "cam" on the bolt or the bolt itself is sized different between the brands. I went with Steeda and they gave me plenty of camber, actually more than I need. I've never seen or heard of any "OEM" S550 camber bolts. All I did was install the bolts, no other grinding, adjusting or anything else was needed.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
As it's only a temporary measure until springs, sways and camber plates go on, I ended up getting some Steeda camber bolts :like:

Just a wild guess, but I'd bet BMR is the only company that actually designed theirs and have them manufactured to their design and specifications, where the others mentioned most likely resell them from companies like SPC etc.
Yeah that's real interesting, as my Steeda bolts actually turned out to be Eibach (direct from Eibach UK and in Eibach packaging), The packaging was a little overkill :

IMG_9750.jpg

I questioned the supply route and got this response from the seller (a big UK retailer) :

"The steeda parts are Eibach parts.

You would get exactly the same item we just saved time by sending from Eibach rather than waiting for Steeda."

So that made me do a little digging and here is the Steeda website photo :

1688562462905.png

And here is an advert on here for some genuine Steeda's that were for sale (note the labeling) :

1688562519560.png

And here are my Eibach's :

IMG_9751.jpg

Which is not a bad thing. SPC arguably has the best designed camber and toe arms available today for our cars!
Yeah, well guess what ...

IMG_9752.jpg

So Steeda = Eibach = SPC :like:

My advice for others who choose to go with camber bolts = cross shop Steeda, Eibach & SPC and buy whoever's you can find cheapest :like:

Now I know what I know, I could have saved myself ÂŁ10 / 33% ... :facepalm: :giggle:

WD :like: