Driving Gloves

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I mentioned in the driving shoes thread but will start a new thread. I’m religious about keeping the leather on my steering wheel cleaned and conditioned but curious if anyone wears driving gloves for regular street driving, and if so, do you wear leather gloves or racing gloves? I currently wear some winter liner gloves because it’s winter here.

Just curious what everyone does and if it’s really beneficial to wear driving gloves if I’m cleaning and conditioning the leather on the steering wheel appropriately.
Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Classic European driving gloves are very useful. The better ones are made from thin high quality leather and are quite soft. I guess they originated when European sports cars had polished wood steering wheels and the cars had manual steering. They look great, feel great, and do the job perfectly. After all the decades they continue to be made today. They aren't particularly cheap.

Their pricing from my trips to Italy ranges from $35-100, where leather goods themselves are an art form. They aren't quite like regular gloves as in addition to being made from thin leather, they can be stringback or have various patterns of openings on the back of the gloves.

Last edited:

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I've never cleaned or conditioned the steering wheel or the seats in my Premium GT and it's all perfect still. Maybe because It's garage kept and out of the sun but It's all perfect. I don't wear gloves

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mechanix gloves. The camo pattern has surprisingly good grip on the alcantera. Better than the black grip gloves.

I wear gloves because I hate cleaning the alcantera.
Does the alcantera get matted down with gloves or do the gloves help with that too? I keep going back and forth on getting the 350 steering wheel or a custom carbon fiber wheel or keeping the stock leather wheel

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Does the alcantera get matted down with gloves or do the gloves help with that too? I keep going back and forth on getting the 350 steering wheel or a custom carbon fiber wheel or keeping the stock leather wheel
They help a ton. Anything to keep your skin oil off the alcantera.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I have black Harley Davidson gloves, sometimes I wear them, just for fun. I sold my bike 😅

Last edited:

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
Last edited:

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
A pair of non-insulated thin leather gloves here. For cold weather purposes, it provides a temperature break between my hands and the wheel until I get the interior warmed up in winter. No gloves any other time of year. I clean the wheel (stock leather wrap) a couple of times a year.

Sponsored

Clint81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Haha I know, if you can get past the tacticool look, they are really good gloves!

tsantsa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I mentioned in the driving shoes thread but will start a new thread. I’m religious about keeping the leather on my steering wheel cleaned and conditioned but curious if anyone wears driving gloves for regular street driving, and if so, do you wear leather gloves or racing gloves? I currently wear some winter liner gloves because it’s winter here.

Just curious what everyone does and if it’s really beneficial to wear driving gloves if I’m cleaning and conditioning the leather on the steering wheel appropriately.
Many years ago I had a BMW 330i. A running joke at work was this pretentious a$$hat chemist wore driving gloves (Mustang driver btw). Used to joke about it constantly. My wife gifted me for Christmas one year bmw branded driving gloves. This has to be 12 years ago. It’s been on of the best gifts I have ever had! I still have them, don’t use them as often now cuz the leather has finally started to harden and crack. They are the most comfortable gloves I own (or were).

I can’t find the exact pair again, but I would buy them again even though I drive a pony car these days!
Sponsored