Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I figured there would be more movement somewhere other than the mounts. I'm def going to start with the mounts then possibly mgw. Why would the lockout not help?
Because you are not going to get shifter movement from reared movement. they are mounted completely independent of one another. so you’re rearend can go shooting out from under your car and your shifter will probably never even wiggle. Has to be something that holds your transmission in place which is a transmission mounts and the motor mounts. When you are WOT your engine lifts up on the driver side and throws your shifter to the passenger side because It is trying to flip over. The only thing really stopping it are motor mounts and transmission mount. the shifter is not gonna move independently of the transmission unless it is just not bolted down but it is going to go wherever the engine/tells it to. A quality shifter is gonna help you in many ways but it’s not going to stop The Movement because no matter what shifter you have it’s still bolts to the transmission. So if the transmission moves the shifter moves
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s probably worth mentioning that poly engine mounts will add a decent portion of NVH to the whole show.
I had black top and bottom and the engine may as well have been solid mounted. Swapped to red, much better.
The mixing of red/black would likely sit somewhere in the middle.

Now, in terms of engine movement with the red mounts fitted, there is very little. My blower clears laterally by 10mm and there are no rub marks. That’s after launching hard enough to kill nearly every part in the driveline, bar the MT82 itself (although it doesn’t seem to have enjoyed it much either).

YMMV.

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Because you are not going to get shifter movement from reared movement. they are mounted completely independent of one another. so you’re rearend can go shooting out from under your car and your shifter will probably never even wiggle. Has to be something that holds your transmission in place which is a transmission mounts and the motor mounts. When you are WOT your engine lifts up on the driver side and throws your shifter to the passenger side because It is trying to flip over. The only thing really stopping it are motor mounts and transmission mount. the shifter is not gonna move independently of the transmission unless it is just not bolted down but it is going to go wherever the engine/tells it to. A quality shifter is gonna help you in many ways but it’s not going to stop The Movement because no matter what shifter you have it’s still bolts to the transmission. So if the transmission moves the shifter moves
I get the shifter movement. But there is still slop in the transmission I want to get rid off. I have transmission mount insert, engine mounts, and mgw shifter one the way. Hoping this makes it feel better !

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It’s probably worth mentioning that poly engine mounts will add a decent portion of NVH to the whole show.
I had black top and bottom and the engine may as well have been solid mounted. Swapped to red, much better.
The mixing of red/black would likely sit somewhere in the middle.

Now, in terms of engine movement with the red mounts fitted, there is very little. My blower clears laterally by 10mm and there are no rub marks. That’s after launching hard enough to kill nearly every part in the driveline, bar the MT82 itself (although it doesn’t seem to have enjoyed it much either).

YMMV.
Yeah I get that. I don't think nvh will bother me but we will see.

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That steeda transmission insert was great! Helped clean it up a lot. Can't wait for the motor mounts. My stock mount was shot. Could move it back and forth with two fingers.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That steeda transmission insert was great! Helped clean it up a lot. Can't wait for the motor mounts. My stock mount was shot. Could move it back and forth with two fingers.
Good to hear. I think with the mounts it will feel very solid.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I get that. I don't think nvh will bother me but we will see.
The red mounts should be fine. The black mounts are TERRIBLE, unless you enjoy your feet and hands vibrating. .

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The red mounts should be fine. The black mounts are TERRIBLE, unless you enjoy your feet and hands vibrating. .
I was going to do 1 red 1 black. Thats at least what the instructions recommend for 650 hp

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I was going to do 1 red 1 black. Thats at least what the instructions recommend for 650 hp
That’s the way to go. My NVH is so minimal (about a 2 on a scale of 1-10) and it‘s only at certain speeds (40-50 mph and 60-80 mph). I drove to Florida from Kansas and the ride was plush. Not once did I think to myself that I couldn’t wait to get out of the car. Keep in mind too that I have motor mounts, transmission bushing insert, vertical links (with delrin bushings), black differential bushings, Tri-ax race shifter and the most hardcore part of all; a differential bracket. My wife never complains about the ride at all.

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Does this look like too much slop to anyone ?

Also adding some pics of the diff. One of the bushings look like it's tore a bit. That looks bad?

20210917_100823.jpg

20210917_100820.jpg

20210917_100813.jpg

20210917_100808.jpg

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
1st picture of a mounting bolt looks like the bolt isn’t central (maybe the washer is throwing my eye off a little) - perhaps the bolt sleeves will help.

2nd picture of a mounting bolt shows a partially torn bush - perhaps the bush inserts will help to prolong its life.

Note : I’m not an expert on the diff mountings …

WD :like:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ve installed diff. bushings in my car, but the bushings weren’t torn. However, I would be inclined to think that installing bushings on top of the torn bushings, to buy you some time. But complete replacement is the best way to go IMO.

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I’ve installed diff. bushings in my car, but the bushings weren’t torn. However, I would be inclined to think that installing bushings on top of the torn bushings, to buy you some time. But complete replacement is the best way to go IMO.
I agree. Doesnt look fun to do tho.

I'm more concerned about the amount of play the shaft has tho

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I agree. Doesnt look fun to do tho.

I'm more concerned about the amount of play the shaft has tho
It’s hard telling how much play is present and whether it is in or out of spec without draining the diff., removing the cover and measuring the gears with a dial indicator. Fwiw, I can rotate my driveshaft back and forth with some visible play too and it looks similar to what I see in your video. I’m at 5K miles on my car and I think it’s normal. Unless your rear end is screaming and howling, I think you’re good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mea...ent=safari#kpvalbx=_m1xGYdLOM5aQwbkPrcGc0Ag22

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It’s hard telling how much play is present and whether it is in or out of spec without draining the diff., removing the cover and measuring the gears with a dial indicator. Fwiw, I can rotate my driveshaft back and forth with some visible play too and it looks similar to what I see in your video. I’m at 5K miles on my car and I think it’s normal. Unless your rear end is screaming and howling, I think you’re good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mea...ent=safari#kpvalbx=_m1xGYdLOM5aQwbkPrcGc0Ag22
Ah gotcha. Just seems like something is up cuz sometimes when I upshift I can feel it lurch back and forth if I shift at low rpms.
Sponsored